How will you vote on the Blasphemy Referendum?

How will you vote on the Blasphemy Referendum?

• Tá / Yes - to change the Constitution

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Níl / No - To keep the current Constitution

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Cant Vote/Wont Vote

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Spoilt Ballot

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trainwreck

PI Member
The EHCR merely upheld Austria's own stupid law.
Just as they would have upheld our stupid blasphemy law if we had retained it.
Now they can't because we sensibly got rid of it.
You are mistaken. We have hate speech laws and it is open to any person to appeal all the way to the ECJ, where - now by precedent - anyone criticising religion could find themselves hung drawn and quartered.

This firmly established criticism of an ideology as illegal, if enough people get really really angry about it.

Vale liberal democracy. The left in cahoots with religious fúcking nutters is turning the clock back 700 years and trining our societies into fascistic states.

Heraclitus

PI Member
It was one on three. That makes it a mainstream not extreme opinion.

Ireland is scary.
When you add up the unreflective contrarians and the people who genuinely believe we should have 'blasphemy' laws (a cohort that includes "the new Irish"), 1 in 3 isn't that surprising.

And you also have to take into account the ultra low turnout.

GodsDog

PI Member
You are mistaken. We have hate speech laws and it is open to any person to appeal all the way to the ECJ, where - now by precedent - anyone criticising religion could find themselves hung drawn and quartered.

This firmly established criticism of an ideology as illegal, if enough people get really really angry about it.

Vale liberal democracy. The left in cahoots with religious fúcking nutters is turning the clock back 700 years and trining our societies into fascistic states.
This was an Austrian conviction which the ECHR was giving a ruling on.
It could never have happened if Austrian law did not contain relevant clauses
and had not already convicted the woman on the basis of those clauses.
The woman appealed her case to the ECHR and they upheld the conviction

The reason this happened is because ECHR legislation is so fucking vague and that you can make a case for anything if it gets that far.
The trick is not to let it get that far.

Regarding blasphemy this could have happened here up until friday, Now it can't.
But yes, I agree, it still can happen in the case of "hate speech" legislation which is a vague subjective bollocks term IMO

I am against hate speech legislation as well as blasphemy legislation.
Anything so vague that can be abused to stymie free speech is not something I want to see in our laws.

It gives motivated people (i.e the rich or religiously fundamentalist with deep pocketed foreign backers)
with the resources to do so an avenue to invoke the EU demons whom we handed our sovereignty so readily to to shut us up

We need to weed out these anti free speech laws that can be appealed to the ECHR
where the vagueness of terms and the culture of political correctness will almost inevitably result
in the upholding of any "hate speech" or blasphemy convictions

maschseemägdelein

Banned
PI Member
I'm an atheist. I DON'T want EU rule or globalism.
I believe one counter example is sufficient to prove a theory false yes? :p
The European Union is the future centre of hyper-capitalism and the perfection of the European body- biology become art.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
With a very heavy and sad heart I voted in favour of this proposal.

I did so because the current blasphemy provision and laws are being abused by fundamentalist Mohammedans to implement Sharia Law in Ireland.

Dermot Ahern ,former Irish minister for justice, was intimidated by these fundamentalists to enact these laws.

As such these laws had to be removed to prevent further intimidation of Christians.

Bad dog

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
With a very heavy and sad heart I voted in favour of this proposal.

I did so because the current blasphemy provision and laws are being abused by fundamentalist Mohammedans to implement Sharia Law in Ireland.

Dermot Ahern ,former Irish minister for justice, was intimidated by these fundamentalists to enact these laws.

As such these laws had to be removed to prevent further intimidation of Christians.
Incitment to hatred and violence law is coming as the regime planned. If you mock someone from a particular group that has shown a predisposition towards violence for then you can be accused of incitment to violence.
For example two gay men kissing outside an Islamic cultural centre could be considered such an incitment, maybe.

Will be a citizens assembly on it soon.

Love Not Hate: Unite to legislate against hate crime | Uplift

D

Deleted member 2544

Non Registered Member
Incitment to hatred and violence law is coming as the regime planned. If you mock someone from a particular group that has shown a predisposition towards violence for then you can be accused of incitment to violence.
For example two gay men kissing outside an Islamic cultural centre could be considered such an incitment, maybe.

Will be a citizens assembly on it soon.

Love Not Hate: Unite to legislate against hate crime | Uplift
What are the odds that most of those who voted to repeal the Blasphemy provision will fully support the above laws.

Bad dog

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
What are the odds that most of those who voted to repeal the Blasphemy provision will fully support the above laws.
Very slim, a lot voted because the Muslims said they didn't want it removed. That was a ploy in my opinion, this was agreed with the mulims before the referendum.
Now its up to the government to legislate for hate crime.

Top Bottom