How the English Régime used Loyalist Contras to defeat the Provisional IRA

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Guardian journalist, Ian Cobain, has published a new book which investigates links between the various branches of the British Police and intelligence services and found that the British Government helped to arm and equip various Loyalist Paramilitary groups and provided them with intelligence about IRA Volunteers and other Irish Nationalists, including lawyers, which the British secret services had selected for assassination.

The book suggests that government ministers and senior civil servants in the British Administration had knowledge of the alliance between Loyalist paramilitaries and British Security Forces and that Margaret Thatcher convened a secret war cabinet to fight the IRA shortly after she was elected and that cooperation with Loyalist Paramilitaries started soon after.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...irty-war-the-murder-of-pat-finucane-1.2796750

Anderson

Take the red pill
Donator
PI Member
Political Irish
Threads
Guardian journalist, Ian Cobain, has published a new book which investigates links between the various branches of the British Police and intelligence services and found that the British Government helped to arm and equip various Loyalist Paramilitary groups and provided them with intelligence about IRA Volunteers and other Irish Nationalists, including lawyers, which the British secret services had selected for assassination.

The book suggests that government ministers and senior civil servants in the British Administration had knowledge of the alliance between Loyalist paramilitaries and British Security Forces and that Margaret Thatcher convened a secret war cabinet to fight the IRA shortly after she was elected and that cooperation with Loyalist Paramilitaries started soon after.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...irty-war-the-murder-of-pat-finucane-1.2796750
It was a proxy war, I do wonder if there are any reports of the Dublin government helping to fund the IRA?

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
It was a proxy war, I do wonder if there are any reports of the Dublin government helping to fund the IRA?

The Dublin régime has never been any more than a puppet régime of the Brits.

Threads
Colluding with gangs of loyalists was British policy long before Thatcher came to power, General Frank Kitson's published his dirty tricks manual Low Intensity Operations in 1971 became the instruction manual of the British organised murder on both sides of the border. But as 1970's IRA leader Seán MacStíofáin put it in Memoirs of a Revolutionary, the very actions that the British came up with which were supposed to finish the troubles were the very ones perpetrating it.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
They say Haughey helped a bit, but I don't know about that.
The ROI Defense Force refused when it could which was often enough to co-operate with the UK Security Forces. The Gardai on the other hand were a completely different story. A British Army Officer actually admitted this on a documentry about South Armagh during the height of the Troubles but its something that is rarely discussed- unsurprisingly I guess given the abysmal quality of journalists here. We know a retired IDF Officer who is convinced that Jack Lynch should have invaded Northern Ireland and believes that he has figured out how it could have been done successfully (he and my better half have gone over his plans for hours but sometimes I think its best just to let lads be lads and get out of the way so I couldnt tell you if any of his plans would have actually worked). The thing is though I believe that a LOT Of people in the ROI Establishment completely hated the Provies because they were terrified of them giving people living on Council Estates in the South the "wrong ideas".

Threads
The thing is though I believe that a LOT Of people in the ROI Establishment completely hated the Provies because they were terrified of them giving people living on Council Estates in the South the "wrong ideas".

I think there was terrible fear that the northern ssituation would upset the comfortable apple-cart in the south.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
I think there was terrible fear that the northern ssituation would upset the comfortable apple-cart in the south.
Something that worries me is that very many in both parts of Ireland cant discuss the Troubles rationally.

I think the Troubles effected the South in a lot of negative ways and this is a subject that you will rarely find addressed. I think large sections of the Southern Ruling Elite were terrified by the Troubles in a way that even the Unionist Ruling Class never were- well never were is going to far but certainly by the 1980s.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Something that worries me is that very many in both parts of Ireland cant discuss the Troubles rationally.

I think the Troubles effected the South in a lot of negative ways and this is a subject that you will rarely find addressed. I think large sections of the Southern Ruling Elite were terrified by the Troubles in a way that even the Unionist Ruling Class never were- well never were is going to far but certainly by the 1980s.

I agree fully. The Republican Movement never had the capacity to overthrow the British state, but it certainly did have the capacity to overthrow the comprador régime in Dublin.

Threads
I only recently looked into the Glenanne gang and how they operated with impunity carrying out 120 murders or thereabouts according to Anne Cadwallader. Their HQ was close enough to South Armagh.

The South Armagh PIRA never got to any of them or figured out what was going on?

Last edited:
Top Bottom