• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

How Soviet Artists Imagined Communist Life in Space

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
I wonder is there anything to the lack of Soviet insignia in those paintings.

Of course those were halcyon days in terms of boundless technological expansion where space cities just seemed a few decades away. Afterall, the transition between a world of horse drawn carriages to space exploration occurred within a normal life span where the prospect of another leap to space ports and whatnot didn't seem to be that unreasonable.

But then it all stalled or crawled to a snail's pace. Or what some might counter, perhaps they haven't been so negligent as to refuse a mouthwatering area of defence and they are doing more than they are perhaps letting on to the planet-bound public below.

Neutron

PI Member
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
I wonder is there anything to the lack of Soviet insignia in those paintings.

Of course those were halcyon days in terms of boundless technological expansion where space cities just seemed a few decades away. Afterall, the transition between a world of horse drawn carriages to space exploration occurred within a normal life span where the prospect of another leap to space ports and whatnot didn't seem to be that unreasonable.

But then it all stalled or crawled to a snail's pace. Or what some might counter, perhaps they haven't been so negligent as to refuse a mouthwatering area of defence and they are doing more than they are perhaps letting on to the planet-bound public below.

That's a very interesting point a chara. I suppose that fact is that we have really only witnessed one technological revolution since the early 1900s, and that is the era of oil. That era started to come to an end with the first oil crisis in the early 1970s, and this culture has been in decline since. There hasn't been a nuclear age. Nuclear energy hasn't proven to be anything like as valuable as oil. I'd have to say that the so called "renewables" are a joke. So, all in all, the confidence of the 1930s - 1960s has been dashed. Actually, the 1930s was probably the most remarkable decade of all, in terms of architecture, technology and culture. It took another 30 years to work out the ideas of that decade.

Today, the only technological advances seem to be in spying on the population and Frankenstein experiments to create mouse-men.

Art

Donator
PI Member
I would think any early planetary settlements would be of a communist nature. When daily survival is the goal it doesn't leave a lot of time for capitalist pursuits.

The words of Benjamin Franklin seem apt :D,

'We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately'

Goaty

PI Member
Nothing worse than a hungry human astronaut stranded on a distant planet I imagine. He or she could end up eating the natives, an intelligent species that look like small curious teddy bears.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Nothing worse than a hungry human astronaut stranded on a distant planet I imagine. He or she could end up eating the natives, an intelligent species that look like small curious teddy bears.

Knock off that anti-immigrant propaganda - it's wacist.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
You can tell,

It must have been a great time when nan reached for the stars and could dream of a better future.

Today man dreams of money, greed and will step on anyone to get to it.

It's true that the idea of the future being better has completely gone. All we look forward to now is economic and environmental collapse.

Top Bottom