How much of a future does Catholicism in Ireland have?

I for one hopes that it will survive,i myself go regularly every Sunday with my Children just coming on 3 years now,and i have noticed that some of my neighbours and friends on my road and estate are starting to attend themselves with their Children and i think it is a beautiful thing,faith is a beautiful thing,my Mother is a devout Catholic she always has been,her idea of Holiday would be Knock-Lourdes-medjugrorje she cleans the Church every week and does door door collections etc etc,she unspires me with the strenght she gets from her faith,and i notice the affect it has had on me in making me calmer,one or two of the older Children sometimes have a face this is boring the younger one is great she just listens and they all walk out feeling good,it's not about some perverts that done the filthy stuff to a whole load of Children back in the day,i tell you one thing i have met many a Priest who were brilliant men,could have a banter etc etc even sit down for a pint with you int the local,but the most important reason to get your faith/Religion back is because when the people have no faith it opens up their morals to attack,as can clearly be seen today with what the LGBT Movement is pushing obviously funded by (((you know who using Cultural Marxism)))attacking the very fabric of Society for pushing for Gender neutral Toilets( i would break up any man who had a mental disorder and thought he was a Women going anywhere near my daughter in a changing room or toilet,trying to teach Children about gay sex from an early age when their minds are not even developed,same thing with a teacher if he teaches my Children any of that filth he will be sorry,
A COUNTRY NEEDS ITS FAITH BECAUSE AT THE END DAY WITHOUT IT WE ARE VULNERABLE TO ALL SORTS OF ATTACK, LIKE THE ONES ABOVE AS WELL AS ALL OTHERS,THE BIBLE TEACHES YOU GREAT LIFE LESSONS AND MORALS,A COUNTRY NEEDS FAITH JUST LOOK AT POLAND HUNGARY RUSSIA ETC ETC ALL OF THESE COUNTRIES HAVE STRONG FAITH AND WITH THAT COMES NATIONAL PRIDE-SPIRITUAL PRIDE-MORALITY ETC ETC ETC
BOTTOM LINE WHEN A COUNTRY LOOSES ITS SOUL
THE DANGER OF LOSS OF FAITH IN GOD IS NOT THAT ONE WILL BELIEVE IN NOTHING.BUT RATHER THAT ONE WILL BELIEVE IN ANYTHING
It won't survive. It's had its day.

Whatever the social benefits of Catholicism/Christianity, it's ultimately based on a collection of myths. There's no escaping this fact.

If society requires some sort of unifying principle, resuscitating the corpse of Catholicism isn't the way to go.

It won't survive. It's had its day.

Whatever the social benefits of Catholicism/Christianity, it's ultimately based on a collection of myths. There's no escaping this fact.

If society requires some sort of unifying principle, resuscitating the corpse of Catholicism isn't the way to go.
I tend to disagree,the Lords message is truth

I tend to disagree,the Lords message is truth
He was just another itinerant Jewish preacher. The Roman empire was full of such characters.

Claims of Miracles were two a penny.
For example, it was claimed that a 100 foot statue went walk abouts in the North African desert, and the Roman emperor Vespasian could allegedly cure blindness with his spit.

There are many more such "miracles" that people at the time believed in.

Last edited:

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
He was just another itinerant Jewish preacher. The Roman empire was full of such characters.

Claims of Miracles were two a penny.
For example, it was claimed that a 100 foot statue went walk abouts in the North African desert, and the Roman emperor Vespasian could allegedly cure blindness with his spit.

There are many more such "miracles" that people at the time believed in.
Arguing with people on matters of faith (i.e. that that truth trumps faith) is a fool's errand. From the dawn of time, faith has given people hope and hope gives people a reason to live. That's not a bad thing at all, even if you happen to disagree with it.

I would argue that the faith of the Polish people not only put the communists on their heels in that country, it's also turning the tide against the E.U. Trojan Horse in Eastern and Central Europe.

Arguing with people on matters of faith (i.e. that that truth trumps faith) is a fool's errand. From the dawn of time, faith has given people hope and hope gives people a reason to live. That's not a bad thing at all, even if you happen to disagree with it.

I would argue that the faith of the Polish people not only put the communists on their heels in that country, it's also turning the tide against the E.U. Trojan Horse in Eastern and Central Europe.
I've argued before that religion has many pro-social benefits.
And regardless of whether or not Christianity was responsible for the fall of the Roman empire, it may also have served as a bulwark against the expansion of Islam in the middle ages.

But going forward, can Christianity serve as a unifying principle? I sincerely doubt it.
Regardless of what other nonsense people believe in, Catholicism/Christianity requires a suspension of the reasoning faculty.
Catholicism requires you to believe, at an absolute minimum, that the new testament is literally true.

People can harp on about how consumerism and apathy have led to the abandonment of Catholicism till the cows come home.
But this ignores the elephant in the room: the extraordinary metaphysical claims that this religion is based on.

There's no "elephant in the room". Religion isn't a piece of computer programming that has to make sense. On the contrary, religion needs a mystical quality that confounds secular scrutiny in respect to its high truths.

For Europe it's either Christianity or the post-Christian mush we've got now. There's no uploading Buddhism or Druidism to the mass mind and away you go, lol.

There's no "elephant in the room". Religion isn't a piece of computer programming that has to make sense. On the contrary, religion needs a mystical quality that confounds secular scrutiny in respect to its high truths.

For Europe it's either Christianity or the post-Christian mush we've got now. There's no uploading Buddhism or Druidism to the mass mind and away you go, lol.
The Abrahamic faiths require a literal belief in extraordinary metaphysical claims.

Are you arguing that such beliefs are optional? Can someone believe, say, that the virgin birth has a metaphorical rather than a literal meaning?

Agree and same with the Orthodox faith in Russia.

I feel that the Catholic Church has abandoned Ireland to modernism, look at the gay marriage referendum were the Church refused to take a central leadership role which was instead left to lay individuals and the Protestant Churches. In the past all of Catholic Ireland would have been mobilised and the message spread from the pulpit of every Parish in Ireland. I fear that the same absence of leadership will occur again during the abortion referendum and of course it doesn't help that the Church is now led by a Marxist and the plethora of cucked Priests such as Father Brian D'arcy operating here.

The Abrahamic faiths require a literal belief in extraordinary metaphysical claims.

Are you arguing that such beliefs are optional? Can someone believe, say, that the virgin birth has a metaphorical rather than a literal meaning?
They aren't optional, no. You have to be literal about them. But still cultural Catholicism is a thing and you can still order to a society along a general Catholic sensibility even if the bulk of the masses are merely cultural about their Catholicism.

Not that I'm saying even that is on the cards. It's a post-Christian mush is the faith we're stuck with. Other faiths are too alien for Westerners to absorb en-mass.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
Agree and same with the Orthodox faith in Russia.

I feel that the Catholic Church has abandoned Ireland to modernism, look at the gay marriage referendum were the Church refused to take a central leadership role which was instead left to lay individuals and the Protestant Churches. In the past all of Catholic Ireland would have been mobilised and the message spread from the pulpit of every Parish in Ireland. I fear that the same absence of leadership will occur again during the abortion referendum and of course it doesn't help that the Church is now led by a Marxist and the plethora of cucked Priests such as Father Brian D'arcy operating here.
It isn't Marxists at all you are dealing with- the Parish Priest in my last Parish could be mistaken with an "SJW" in American University at times but he was from a staunch FG family and if you pushed him that would come out, my current Parish Priest is actually a member of FG and his "modernism" is actually very post-modernist in the bad sense.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
If such an approach was taken, you'd probably end up with a chunk of the class becoming committed atheists.

But I suppose a smaller, "truer" church is what many Catholics would like to see.
Maybe it would and maybe it wouldn't. Christ as the God-Man and Second Adam who revealed the Uncreated Triune Nature of God to us is as much a revelation of authentic humanity as He is that of Divinity. Unpacking the implications of what both the Hypostatic Union and the Triune Nature of God has to say about us who after all were created in the Image of God to me is fascinating. I think for a Christian Theology should ground ethics rather than the other way around which is the approach of a lot of "Catholic" Religious Education in Ireland. The purpose should be to unpack the really important things and if people choose to reject them well let them.

Yes many Catholics would like to see that, but the Bishops most certainly do not.