• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How much of a future does Catholicism in Ireland have?

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
He was just another itinerant Jewish preacher. The Roman empire was full of such characters.

Claims of Miracles were two a penny.
For example, it was claimed that a 100 foot statue went walk abouts in the North African desert, and the Roman emperor Vespasian could allegedly cure blindness with his spit.

There are many more such "miracles" that people at the time believed in.
Arguing with people on matters of faith (i.e. that that truth trumps faith) is a fool's errand. From the dawn of time, faith has given people hope and hope gives people a reason to live. That's not a bad thing at all, even if you happen to disagree with it.

I would argue that the faith of the Polish people not only put the communists on their heels in that country, it's also turning the tide against the E.U. Trojan Horse in Eastern and Central Europe.

Arguing with people on matters of faith (i.e. that that truth trumps faith) is a fool's errand. From the dawn of time, faith has given people hope and hope gives people a reason to live. That's not a bad thing at all, even if you happen to disagree with it.

I would argue that the faith of the Polish people not only put the communists on their heels in that country, it's also turning the tide against the E.U. Trojan Horse in Eastern and Central Europe.
I've argued before that religion has many pro-social benefits.
And regardless of whether or not Christianity was responsible for the fall of the Roman empire, it may also have served as a bulwark against the expansion of Islam in the middle ages.

But going forward, can Christianity serve as a unifying principle? I sincerely doubt it.
Regardless of what other nonsense people believe in, Catholicism/Christianity requires a suspension of the reasoning faculty.
Catholicism requires you to believe, at an absolute minimum, that the new testament is literally true.

People can harp on about how consumerism and apathy have led to the abandonment of Catholicism till the cows come home.
But this ignores the elephant in the room: the extraordinary metaphysical claims that this religion is based on.

There's no "elephant in the room". Religion isn't a piece of computer programming that has to make sense. On the contrary, religion needs a mystical quality that confounds secular scrutiny in respect to its high truths.

For Europe it's either Christianity or the post-Christian mush we've got now. There's no uploading Buddhism or Druidism to the mass mind and away you go, lol.

There's no "elephant in the room". Religion isn't a piece of computer programming that has to make sense. On the contrary, religion needs a mystical quality that confounds secular scrutiny in respect to its high truths.

For Europe it's either Christianity or the post-Christian mush we've got now. There's no uploading Buddhism or Druidism to the mass mind and away you go, lol.
The Abrahamic faiths require a literal belief in extraordinary metaphysical claims.

Are you arguing that such beliefs are optional? Can someone believe, say, that the virgin birth has a metaphorical rather than a literal meaning?

Agree and same with the Orthodox faith in Russia.

I feel that the Catholic Church has abandoned Ireland to modernism, look at the gay marriage referendum were the Church refused to take a central leadership role which was instead left to lay individuals and the Protestant Churches. In the past all of Catholic Ireland would have been mobilised and the message spread from the pulpit of every Parish in Ireland. I fear that the same absence of leadership will occur again during the abortion referendum and of course it doesn't help that the Church is now led by a Marxist and the plethora of cucked Priests such as Father Brian D'arcy operating here.

The Abrahamic faiths require a literal belief in extraordinary metaphysical claims.

Are you arguing that such beliefs are optional? Can someone believe, say, that the virgin birth has a metaphorical rather than a literal meaning?
They aren't optional, no. You have to be literal about them. But still cultural Catholicism is a thing and you can still order to a society along a general Catholic sensibility even if the bulk of the masses are merely cultural about their Catholicism.

Not that I'm saying even that is on the cards. It's a post-Christian mush is the faith we're stuck with. Other faiths are too alien for Westerners to absorb en-mass.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
Agree and same with the Orthodox faith in Russia.

I feel that the Catholic Church has abandoned Ireland to modernism, look at the gay marriage referendum were the Church refused to take a central leadership role which was instead left to lay individuals and the Protestant Churches. In the past all of Catholic Ireland would have been mobilised and the message spread from the pulpit of every Parish in Ireland. I fear that the same absence of leadership will occur again during the abortion referendum and of course it doesn't help that the Church is now led by a Marxist and the plethora of cucked Priests such as Father Brian D'arcy operating here.
It isn't Marxists at all you are dealing with- the Parish Priest in my last Parish could be mistaken with an "SJW" in American University at times but he was from a staunch FG family and if you pushed him that would come out, my current Parish Priest is actually a member of FG and his "modernism" is actually very post-modernist in the bad sense.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine
If such an approach was taken, you'd probably end up with a chunk of the class becoming committed atheists.

But I suppose a smaller, "truer" church is what many Catholics would like to see.
Maybe it would and maybe it wouldn't. Christ as the God-Man and Second Adam who revealed the Uncreated Triune Nature of God to us is as much a revelation of authentic humanity as He is that of Divinity. Unpacking the implications of what both the Hypostatic Union and the Triune Nature of God has to say about us who after all were created in the Image of God to me is fascinating. I think for a Christian Theology should ground ethics rather than the other way around which is the approach of a lot of "Catholic" Religious Education in Ireland. The purpose should be to unpack the really important things and if people choose to reject them well let them.

Yes many Catholics would like to see that, but the Bishops most certainly do not.

It isn't Marxists at all you are dealing with- the Parish Priest in my last Parish could be mistaken with an "SJW" in American University at times but he was from a staunch FG family and if you pushed him that would come out, my current Parish Priest is actually a member of FG and his "modernism" is actually very post-modernist in the bad sense.
I was referring to the Pope when I said the Church was led by a Marxist and unlike your Parish Priest I don't think Francis is a closet blueshirt.

I was referring to the Pope when I said the Church was led by a Marxist and unlike your Parish Priest I don't think Francis is a closet blueshirt.
Francis is a Marxist most certainly.

The real concern is how the rest of the college of cardinals decided to elect Francis. He is blatantly a marxist, elected by other marxists?

Were it not for Catholicism though, we'd all be eking out an existence in a Moslem hellhole or be forced to convert. ............
If you paid attention to your 'holy father' you'd know he's the kingpin of the Globalist cabal that caused and supports
the Muslim invasion of W.Civilization that is in the process of turning Europe and USA into Muslim dominated hell-holes.

I think Catholicism is buried under several ice sheets in a long globalist ice-age.

However I do think a residue of Catholicism will persevere as a whiplash effect of an omnipresent anti-Catholicism which casts a towering shadow over this country and an anti-Catholicism that is the essence of twenty six county New Left liberalism in the same way that Auschwitz is the kerosine that fuels wider Western New Left liberalism. Catholicism and anti-Catholicism will fuel each other.
No, truth will prevail. When society degenerates into nothingness, people will look for LOGOS. Truth is timeless, it's just sad that we have to become so low to prove a point.

If you paid attention to your 'holy father' you'd know he's the kingpin of the Globalist cabal that caused and supports
the Muslim invasion of W.Civilization that is in the process of turning Europe and USA into Muslim dominated hell-holes.

[/QUOT

Have you a philosophical argument or do you just post nonsense pictures?

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account

Read through other posts I've made on the subject before you go off half-cocked and reiterate the obvious. Any man's stint on the Holy See is ephemeral and this too shall pass. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

I do believe this and I have to believe this.

Read through other posts I've made on the subject before you go off half-cocked and reiterate the obvious. Any man's stint on the Holy See is ephemeral and this too shall pass. And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
I do believe this and I have to believe this.
You do believe it .... but you don't have to believe the Papist INTERPRETATION.

At some point, all the saved have to admit (to themselves most of all) that before they were saved ... they were wrong.

Every single one.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
You do believe it .... but you don't have to believe the Papist INTERPRETATION.
It's not a papist interpretation. The Magisterium decreed that. If you don't subscribe to that, that's your cross to bear, but save your anti-clericalism for the next meeting at the Masonic Lodge.

At some point, all the saved have to admit (to themselves most of all) that before they were saved ... they were wrong. Every single one.
I am working out my salvation in fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12), with hopeful confidence in the promises of Christ (Rom. 5:2, 2 Tim. 2:11–13).

A person has no knowledge of salvation or damnation until final judgment. Bone up on eschatology.