How much of a future does Catholicism in Ireland have?

Threads
Well it certainly looks like that at the moment which is strange given how Catholicism is gaining in terms of inner strength and to a lesser extent numbers both in England and France.

What exactly do you mean by "nurse tree"? A major problem that I have is that the Ruling Elites didn't think up something to fill the void left by Catholicism such as maybe a Gaelized combination of Taoism and Confucianism, or maybe some type of adaption of Roman Stoicism.
"The elites" have meddled enough.
The role of the political classes should be more like that of a referee and less like a manager.

Threads
I really hate Buddhism. It is just so essentially nihilistic.
I disagree. Consider the following quote from a zen monk

"At the first level on the path he saw mountains as mountains and rivers as rivers.
On the second level of the path he saw that mountains are not mountains and rivers are not rivers.
And at a third level he saw once again mountains were mountains and rivers were rivers."

Although everything is ultimately one and our categories mere conventions, they are nonetheless essential for our well being. This is what the quote is trying to convey. At the level of our day-to-day lives, we are the creators. We are responsible for navigating the slings and arrows of existence.

Funnily enough, it was my reading into Buddhism a few years back that gave me greater insight into what Nietzsche was getting at.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
"The elites" have meddled enough.
The role of the political classes should be more like that of a referee and less like a manager.
I wasn't just thinking of the Political Ruling Elites, or even principally of them.

In all societies outside of ones made up of very small independent groups you are going to get Ruling Elites.

That is just the way things are.

Threads
What exactly do you mean by "nurse tree"? A major problem that I have is that the Ruling Elites didn't think up something to fill the void left by Catholicism such as maybe a Gaelized combination of Taoism and Confucianism, or maybe some type of adaption of Roman Stoicism.
Missed this bit.

What I meant is that Catholicism may have prevented worse ideas taking hold.

dwayne

PI Member
Threads
I for one hopes that it will survive,i myself go regularly every Sunday with my Children just coming on 3 years now,and i have noticed that some of my neighbours and friends on my road and estate are starting to attend themselves with their Children and i think it is a beautiful thing,faith is a beautiful thing,my Mother is a devout Catholic she always has been,her idea of Holiday would be Knock-Lourdes-medjugrorje she cleans the Church every week and does door door collections etc etc,she unspires me with the strenght she gets from her faith,and i notice the affect it has had on me in making me calmer,one or two of the older Children sometimes have a face this is boring the younger one is great she just listens and they all walk out feeling good,it's not about some perverts that done the filthy stuff to a whole load of Children back in the day,i tell you one thing i have met many a Priest who were brilliant men,could have a banter etc etc even sit down for a pint with you int the local,but the most important reason to get your faith/Religion back is because when the people have no faith it opens up their morals to attack,as can clearly be seen today with what the LGBT Movement is pushing obviously funded by (((you know who using Cultural Marxism)))attacking the very fabric of Society for pushing for Gender neutral Toilets( i would break up any man who had a mental disorder and thought he was a Women going anywhere near my daughter in a changing room or toilet,trying to teach Children about gay sex from an early age when their minds are not even developed,same thing with a teacher if he teaches my Children any of that filth he will be sorry,
A COUNTRY NEEDS ITS FAITH BECAUSE AT THE END DAY WITHOUT IT WE ARE VULNERABLE TO ALL SORTS OF ATTACK, LIKE THE ONES ABOVE AS WELL AS ALL OTHERS,THE BIBLE TEACHES YOU GREAT LIFE LESSONS AND MORALS,A COUNTRY NEEDS FAITH JUST LOOK AT POLAND HUNGARY RUSSIA ETC ETC ALL OF THESE COUNTRIES HAVE STRONG FAITH AND WITH THAT COMES NATIONAL PRIDE-SPIRITUAL PRIDE-MORALITY ETC ETC ETC
BOTTOM LINE WHEN A COUNTRY LOOSES ITS SOUL
THE DANGER OF LOSS OF FAITH IN GOD IS NOT THAT ONE WILL BELIEVE IN NOTHING.BUT RATHER THAT ONE WILL BELIEVE IN ANYTHING

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Missed this bit.

What I meant is that Catholicism may have prevented worse ideas taking hold.
Well I do think that a major reason that people like Mitsui2's family used to support Catholicism even though they didn't believe in it as they saw it as a brilliant weapon against the spread of Communism in Ireland. Once the Cold War ended that is when the demolition job on "Catholic Ireland" happened in earnest. The main reason though for the collapse of Catholicism in Ireland is down to utterly terrible Priests.

Threads
I wasn't just thinking of the Political Ruling Elites, or even principally of them.

In all societies outside of ones made up of very small independent groups you are going to get Ruling Elites.

That is just the way things are.
Natural elites do indeed emerge in all societies. It can only be hoped that the elites that emerge in the future have better judgement.

Threads
Well I do think that a major reason that people like Mitsui2's family used to support Catholicism even though they didn't believe in it as they saw it as a brilliant weapon against the spread of Communism in Ireland. Once the Cold War ended that is when the demolition job on "Catholic Ireland" happened in earnest. The main reason though for the collapse of Catholicism in Ireland is down to utterly terrible Priests.
Possibly.

I think you give Mitsui2 too much credit.
He rarely posts anything worth reading and he fancies himself as a comedian, but he's harmless.

As for terrible priests, perhaps that was the motivation for some abandoning Catholicism.
But many did so for intellectual reasons.

There's no escaping the fact that Catholicism makes a set of claims that must be believed by its members.

OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
Possibly.

I think you give Mitsui2 too much credit.
He rarely posts anything worth reading and he fancies himself as a comedian, but he's harmless.
He is Fine Gael old money, to me he sums up their sneering arrogance and cowardly petty mindedness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Threads
He's a wind up merchant and not very self reflective, but he's not nearly as sinister you seem to believe.
Sorry I meant to type Fine Gael "old money". Anyway maybe you are right, I do have paranoid tendencies and he just brings out feelings of disgust in me strongly for some reason.

Threads
Anyway.

To be an Adherent of Catholicism, you must believe its core dogmas.
If you don't believe in any of the metaphysical claims that these dogmas are based on, you cannot be a Catholic.

Had the RCC in Ireland took a tougher line and excommunicated baptism, wedding and funeral Catholics, the result would've been far less nominal members of that denomination today.

Top Bottom