HOMEBASE - Closing 3 stores

BURNOUT

PI Member
Threads
Homebase confirmed today that it’s closing a total of 42 stores to reduce its cost base in the UK and Ireland. Stores are set to close between the end of this year and early 2019. Three Homebase stores in Ireland are among those earmarked for closure as part of a cull by the retailer’s owner, Hilco Capital.
Two stores in Dublin, Fonthill and Naas Road – will close, as well as an outlet in Limerick. Dozens of jobs to be hit. 11 outlets employ 380 full and part-time staff.

The chain said in a statement. “Rental costs associated with stores are unsustainable and many stores are loss making.”

Helen Back

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Apart from having sympathy for those who will lose their jobs at a very bad time in retail, I'm disappointed to see this, as I found Homebase better than B&Q or Woodies for some lines. They carried a great paint and accessories and lighting range that you'd not find in Irish based stores.

Threads
I wonder how much of this is due to the rapidly changing mindset of the common man? With the all out attack on masculinity as a whole if a fella was to try and impress a new girlfriend now by building her a new patio and bbq she'd probably look at him like he's some sort of rapist.

Threads
Apart from having sympathy for those who will lose their jobs at a very bad time in retail, I'm disappointed to see this, as I found Homebase better than B&Q or Woodies for some lines. They carried a great paint and accessories and lighting range that you'd not find in Irish based stores.
With you on that, Hate Woodies, their prices are a complete rip off and their own range of products are made from inferior materials. B&Q are ok, but lack in lighting as you say. Actually their range in almost everything is limited, but their prices are keen.

D

Deleted member 189

Non Registered Member
I wonder how much of this is due to the rapidly changing mindset of the common man? With the all out attack on masculinity as a whole if a fella was to try and impress a new girlfriend now by building her a new patio and bbq she'd probably look at him like he's some sort of rapist.
On average, DIYs and Builders Providers sales grew at 15-20% last year, on the back of the economy growing.

D

Deleted member 189

Non Registered Member
With you on that, Hate Woodies, their prices are a complete rip off and their own range of products are made from inferior materials. B&Q are ok, but lack in lighting as you say. Actually their range in almost everything is limited, but their prices are keen.
During the crash, stores in this market cut their stock ranges and levels a lot and haven’t re-built them to the same extent.

Cruimh

PI Member
Threads
She'll either do it herself or find a gay who will do a fabulous job. They are far fussier about quality and finish than boyfriends

D

Deleted member 189

Non Registered Member
Actually, on re-reading your post, I think it’s worthy of further consideration. Consideration in the sense that it’s the most ill informed, stupid, batshit crazy reason I’ve ever heard for a store closing. It combines the greatest lack of knowledge of the geographical, trading and macro-economics of a business decision that I’ve seen in over 30yrs of commerce, combined with a peculiar fixation in seeing the entire world through a single prism. Bonkers

Last edited by a moderator:

Socratus O' Pericles

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Homebase is a British home improvement retailer and garden center, we don't want no foreigners coming over here taking our DIY market... Woodies, Woodies, Woodies there's no better buy in DIY and they sponsor the Rovers as well. Up the Dubs.

Top Bottom