• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Blog Herbert Marcuse, Father of the "new left" and "identity politics" worked AGAINST communism for the CIA/OSS

Herbert Marcuse:

Very Interestingly:

Between 1943 and 1950, Marcuse worked in US government service for the Office of Strategic Services (predecessor of the Central Intelligence Agency) where he criticized the ideology of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union in the book Soviet Marxism: A Critical Analysis (1958). After his studies, in the 1960s and the 1970s he became known as the preeminent theorist of the New Left and the student movements of West Germany, France, and the United States; some consider him the "father of the New Left".[8]

In other words the father of the "new left" and "identity politics"
worked for the OSS / CIA on propaganda against communism in the Soviet Union
It's there in black and white folks!

Still think what you're seeing around you today is being engineered by "commies"?
Or is it just the poisonous fruit of good old American capitalist pro corporate neoliberal think tanks?

Eriugena

PI Member
Sep 13, 2020
The West respects Stalin's works when it suits them, it was he who gave the Armenian territory of Nagorno to the Azeris despite the fact that Armenian ethnic people have been living there since antiquity and the UNSC recognised his gift in the 90s despite the fact that the people there are Armenians.
The only aspect of Stalin I would defend was his purge of the "true believer" nutcases.

DrPat2

PI Member
Aug 29, 2018
That sounds very very tenuous to me. No doubt the Brits were keen to see the Tsar overthown, and would have seen Trotsky as useful to them, but I think it's a stretch to say he was a British agent.

TW Tone

PI Member
May 5, 2019
And there's this:

It's all pretty damning for the "father of the new left"
He was just a tool of US propaganda think tanks in their ingoing wars against nazism and communism

The material in his books should probably be read with this context firmly in mind.
However one strongly suspects that today's ersatz leftists,
so busily steeping themselves in divisive identity politics, have not done so.

I don't see your point.
He, like many others, had no time for the Soviet Union.
The clue is is the first word: NEW Left.
The movement which at least partially adopted his ideas, that of the later 1960s, was a million miles socially and culturally from Brezhnev and his buddies.
Marcuse was an insightful thinker, you should read him.

OP
GodsDog

GodsDog

PI Member
Nov 16, 2015
I don't see your point.
He, like many others, had no time for the Soviet Union.
The clue is is the first word: NEW Left.
The movement which at least partially adopted his ideas, that of the later 1960s, was a million miles socially and culturally from Brezhnev and his buddies.
Marcuse was an insightful thinker, you should read him.

My point is the NEW left, with it's emphasis on divisive individualist identity politics and the sexuality of deviant minorities rather than class warfare, has in fact nothing much to do with the left at all and owes it's origins to employees of the CIA/OSS

Essentially, it is in fact a creation of right wing think tanks and the CIA, no doubt intended to undermine, divide and destroy the real left, which represented a threat to global capitalism.

And it has succeeded in doing so.

Jul 31, 2017
Gene Sharp has labored in obscurity for much of his life. In the past few weeks, however, he has been propelled into the media spotlight—hailed in news reports as the world’s top theorist of nonviolent strategy and cited as an inspiration by leaders of the campaign that brought the Mubarak regime down. He has been called a “nonviolent Clausewitz,” in reference to the grand military strategist of the early nineteenth century. And in some ways he could also be seen as a nonviolent equivalent of Leon Trotsky—another brilliant strategist, with a penchant for pithy aphorisms, whose ideas (albeit framed in dramatically different ways) offered up the possibility of rolling, and transformational, global revolutions.

Trotsky was funded heavily by certain directors of the west, they loved the concept of continuous revolutions if they could not get their way when the briefcase full of money doesn't work, though sometimes it did in ways you wouldn't have imagined a bond movie would have produced as a story

How The CIA Overthrew Iran's Democracy In 4 Days

No different to the colour revolutions of today as long as it can be directed in a way that benefited them. Its the great game that is being played, all over, with many a useful idiot playing their part.

OP
GodsDog

GodsDog

PI Member
Nov 16, 2015
[MOD]
some derailing posts have been removed and nutter sham og has left the building!
[/MOD]

OP
GodsDog

GodsDog

PI Member
Nov 16, 2015
Trotsky was funded heavily by certain directors of the west, they loved the concept of continuous revolutions if they could not get their way when the briefcase full of money doesn't work, though sometimes it did in ways you wouldn't have imagined a bond movie would have produced as a story

No different to the colour revolutions of today as long as it can be directed in a way that benefited them. Its the great game that is being played, all over.

Here is a decent in depth analysis of Gene Sharp and his "Albert Einstein institute"
(*Einstein never authorised the use of his name for this CIA colour revolution shop )

Last edited:

TW Tone

PI Member
May 5, 2019
My point is the NEW left, with it's emphasis on divisive individualist identity politics and the sexuality of deviant minorities rather than class warfare, has in fact nothing much to do with the left at all and owes it's origins to employees of the CIA/OSS

Essentially, it is in fact a creation of right wing think tanks and the CIA, no doubt intended to undermine, divide and destroy the real left, which represented a threat to global capitalism.

And it has succeeded in doing so.

I don't see any trajectory between Marcuse and today's faux leftists. Marcuse was trying to elaborate a left philosophy for a new age, a billion miles from the world of Marx or indeed Lenin.
Today's faux leftists have produced no thinking beyond anti wacism.
I regret that Marcuse fell into obscurity so soon. One Dimensional Man is probably out of print, but I remember devouring it some 40 years ago.

Top Bottom