Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Hedgerow destruction.

jpc

PI Member
Excellent article about the above in the journal.ie
There's another prior article.
What are people's thoughts?
Road side hedgerow need to be maintained.
But the destruction of the hedgerows in farmland is another story.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Many hedgerows are little more than dirt collectors and obstacles to efficient farming,
In addition there is absolutely zero that is natural out them given that they were mostly planted by humans to delineate boundary’s.

It is insane to be wittering on about protecting hedgerows,,

Sham frÓg

PI Member
Many hedgerows are little more than dirt collectors and obstacles to efficient farming,
In addition there is absolutely zero that is natural out them given that they were mostly planted by humans to delineate boundary’s.

No they are not. They are universes of life unto themselves. They are the abode of the fairies too.

You will have no luck.

If people like you had there way Ireland would be full of golf courses and soulless communist mega farms.

Sham frÓg

PI Member
Fieldy's Ireland -

Sham's Ireland -

The Field Marshal

PI Member
No really don't think it is mad to go on about hedgerows, it gives much shelter and even food to bird and bees, and mammals that need shelter/habitat to mammals such as foxes or mice. Lots of things live in there, they need a home too.
Mice , rats and rabbits are destructive vermin
Hedgerows and boreens should be national monuments
now you want vermin to be deemed national monuments.

Conall Gulban

Staff member
PI Member
Hedgerows and boreens are magical places, also the difference between the countryside as the shire and the countryside as a green desert.

I was once waylaid by the faeries, I lost my way in a labyrinth of hedges in a place that was familiar to me but utterly transformed somehow. It took me many hours to find my way home. True story.

Willow

PI Member

You're quite wrong there FM. Our hedgerows are higjly important sanctuaries for many native species.
Growing them took long forgotten skill, folding new shoots sideways to create a barrier effect. They are natural pieces of art.
Surprised at you.

Eriugena

PI Member

Willow

PI Member
Hedgerows and boreens are magical places, also the difference between the countryside as the shire and the countryside as a green desert.

I was once waylaid by the faeries, I lost my way in a labyrinth of hedges in a place that was familiar to me but utterly transformed somehow. It took me many hours to find my way home. True story.
Had you been at the mushrooms?

Top Bottom