• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Hazel Chu Elected Lord Mayor of Dublin

Charlottesweb

PI Member
Apr 23, 2020
She saw herself as 'Irish-born Chinese' and lamented the assimilation of Chinese immigrants into Irish culture until all of a sudden it became racist to question whether she was as Irish as you or me.

If you acknowledge that someone from a foreign culture who refuses to assimilate into your own culture is as Irish as yourself you've admitted that Irish culture is no more Irish than Chinese. The logic is clear: to say that Hazel Chu is as Irish as yourself is to say that there is no such thing as Irish culture. In telling us to regard immigrants as equally Irish as ourselves they're telling us to make void the historic nation.

In some ways it is worse that the role is largely ceremonial. It makes plain that this is a symbolic act of domination.

Theres alot to unpack in that post and i want to make sure that my response sufficiently addresses the entirety:

I dont care. She got voted onto the council same as everyone else. It matters not that she is black blue or turquoise

Charlottesweb

PI Member
Apr 23, 2020
Gay INDIAN taoiseach on ice for 2 years then in power again a CHINESE woman in the mansion house and worst still in the ceremonial carriage and at the horse show next year. I hope she doesnt go to any dog shows she might think shes at a market....... and pick up something for dinner !

Thats funny. Because chines people eat dogs. Ha ha. Oh wait, shes irish. Like the former taoiseach.

Conall Gulban

Staff member
PI Member
Nov 26, 2018
What am I missing here?
They've been saying for a week now that she was 'set' to become Mayor but there was an election? What kind of an election is it when they have a predetermined outcome?
Is it a case that all of the eligible voters agree to vote for her or what?
RTE said a week ago that she was going to be the next Mayor, how did they know if she had to be elected to the position?

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
She saw herself as 'Irish-born Chinese' and lamented the assimilation of Chinese immigrants into Irish culture until all of a sudden it became racist to question whether she was as Irish as you or me.

If you acknowledge that someone from a foreign culture who refuses to assimilate into your own culture is as Irish as yourself you've admitted that Irish culture is no more Irish than Chinese. The logic is clear: to say that Hazel Chu is as Irish as yourself is to say that there is no such thing as Irish culture. In telling us to regard immigrants as equally Irish as ourselves they're telling us to make void the historic nation.

In some ways it is worse that the role is largely ceremonial. It makes plain that this is a symbolic act of domination.

She comes off as very assimilated into if not Irish culture as such into a certain type of Western culture. I remember reading in Kevin MacDonald for what it's worth that as a rule the immigrant Chinese tend to stay out of the politics of the countries they emigrate to.

sighthound

PI Member
Mar 2, 2019
Th
She comes off as very assimilated into if not Irish culture as such into a certain type of Western culture. I remember reading in Kevin MacDonald for what it's worth that as a rule the immigrant Chinese tend to stay out of the politics of the countries they emigrate to.
Then she must be a rogue chinese like the rogue chinese who let a virus loose on the world, genetically modified rogue!

blue velvet

PI Member
PI Member
Feb 15, 2019
What am I missing here?
They've been saying for a week now that she was 'set' to become Mayor but there was an election? What kind of an election is it when they have a predetermined outcome?
Is it a case that all of the eligible voters agree to vote for her or what?
RTE said a week ago that she was going to be the next Mayor, how did they know if she had to be elected to the position?

While I'm not defending RTE, it was known that Chu was a lock because part of the coalition deal was that the useless FFG councillors would vote for her, making her election a certainty.

I'd imagine the SF councillors voted against, but don't have the exact figures.

Zosimus

PI Member
May 25, 2020

Yes, you are right. Perhaps it's wrong of me to say that Hazel Chu is not assimilated when the average Irishman is just as distant as her from the historic ideal of Irish culture.

The tragedy is that mass immigration is coming at a time in which the majority of Irish people are not assimilated into Irish culture. D. P. Moran (a figure about whom I have ambivalent feelings) said aptly that the real Ireland is something about which most of us know very little and need to use effort and imagination to rediscover. José Ortega y Gasset lamented at a time of much greater culture than our own that most European nations were failing to acculturate their own citizens into their national and European traditions. The culture to which the foreigners are asked to assimilate is not one to which I would want anyone to assimilate.

To be quite frank if I were a second-generation immigrant who didn't know the history of this country I would regard 'Irish culture' with contempt and derision. Foreigners are judging European culture by what they know, which is its nadir.

DrPat2

PI Member
Aug 29, 2018
According to The Irish Examiner's report, Mayor Chu said

"As first citizen I would like to see us united in common purpose, to tackle homelessness, and make Dublin a more liveable city."

'the city was "changing overnight" and she intends to look into the promoting walking and cycling, and better air quality.

"In recent years we have seen polarisation in politics overseas, Ireland is not immune," she added.

"Many in this chamber fought against those who would seek to divide us on race and gender,

"I have been on the receiving end, and the first steps are to acknowledge and challenge.

"There is no such thing as an innocent bystander.

"As first citizen, I would like to have open and frank conversations on racism and gender equality.

"My dream is my daughter will celebrate her diversity instead of being afraid by it.

"I have never been prouder to be an Irish woman as I stand here as the first citizen."

Top Bottom