Happy 130th Birthday Mick Collins

Anglophile

PI Member
Oh you surrendered alright....falsely. And when the Volunteers came out of their positions you shot 3 dead. At which point Cmdt Barry ordered his men to fire until your entire column was wiped out.

A lovely days work from the boys (y)

Slavering with relish over murder - like the Brit-hating, IRA-supporting cretin that you really are!!! :cool:

Myles O'Reilly

PI Member
Top Bloke
O Reilly, with all your defects you still are able to see things clearly. Answer the 'murder' crowd if you will, I'm getting bored with their obtuseness.
I think they take their history from the movie Michael Collins, which depicted a ludicrously sinister De Valera. Moral: Don't study history in the cinema.
I don't really know McCoy but I do know the sinister Brit who hangs around this Irish Site like a Preying Mantis, telling lies to all and sundry.

Maybe he had an Irish Da that left him when he was a kid or summat I don't know. But these types were two a penny in Ireland before Collins and his boys sent them packing. He's just a modern incarnation of Perfidious Albion.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Slavering with relish over murder - like the Brit-hating, IRA-supporting cretin that you really are!!! :cool:
We all hate the Brits. Just not as much as we used too. From greatness to this. London isn't even ethnically English anymore.

Tbh hates not the right word. Pity is ceapainn féin.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
The Anti-Treaty IRA were a military junta, or more accurately hoped to be.
Once the Civil War started, the time for politics had passed, as far as they were concerned. Just one more mistake they made.

Dr Valera had absolutely no command role.
Indeed De V never fired a shot in the Civil War.
Just as he didn't in 1916.
Yes but generally those who don't like fighting like giving orders. And it may be hindsight but Dev would never have gained the mastery of Ireland he did if Mick had lived. And he would have been well aware of that.

The major issue of contention was the North. How many Fianna Fail governments made any effort to reuinte us?

Pack of Chancers. Not like they're not still around. Shooting Mick is just the old equivalent of destroying the Nation through mass immigration

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Have folks seen the film of the funeral of Collins?
I have often thought that a daring IRA action that day, an attack on the funeral, could have wiped out a big part of the Free State military and political leadership.
Might have hit a bishop or two, also, tho that would have been a bonus.

The Anti-Treaty IRA lacked the killer instinct that the Free Staters showed in abundance. Their leadership was putrid. Their best men were hors de combat--Cathal Brugha was dead, O'Connor and Mellowes were in jail, and would soon be murdered.
This week saw the anniversary of the death of Sean Tracey. He might well have made a fine leader of the Irregulars, since he apparently had a low opinion of Collins.
Speculation....
Ya I've watched it many times. Dev could never compete with that.

RealMcCoy

PI Member
No. Just killed. He was Commander in Chief of one of the two opposing sides in the Civil war and was killed while literally fighting in a long range gun battle.

Kevin O'Higgins was 'assassinated' 5 years later when there was no conflict raging.
Funny that. Dev really didn't like competition. Must have learned a lot from that copy of the Prince he slept beside.

Clarke-Connolly

PI Member
Have folks seen the film of the funeral of Collins?
I have often thought that a daring IRA action that day, an attack on the funeral, could have wiped out a big part of the Free State military and political leadership.
Might have hit a bishop or two, also, tho that would have been a bonus.

The Anti-Treaty IRA lacked the killer instinct that the Free Staters showed in abundance. Their leadership was putrid. Their best men were hors de combat--Cathal Brugha was dead, O'Connor and Mellowes were in jail, and would soon be murdered.
This week saw the anniversary of the death of Sean Tracey. He might well have made a fine leader of the Irregulars, since he apparently had a low opinion of Collins.
Speculation....
They should have accepted the Dáil Vote and the General Election Vote and Stayed United.

Division was the worst possible option and the Brits and Unionists must have been rolling on the floor laughing at that.

TW Tone

PI Member
Yes but generally those who don't like fighting like giving orders. And it may be hindsight but Dev would never have gained the mastery of Ireland he did if Mick had lived. And he would have been well aware of that
Oh, so
They should have accepted the Dáil Vote and the General Election Vote and Stayed United.

Division was the worst possible option and the Brits and Unionists must have been rolling on the floor laughing at that.
C-c, you're what the Americans call a Monday Morning Quarterback.
Though your Monday is a hundred years on.
In fairness to the Republicans, they would argue that what you propose was precisely agreed in the 'Pact' before the 1922 election.
But the Free Staters abjured the Pact at the last moment.

Top Bottom