• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Happy 130th Birthday Mick Collins

Anglophile

PI Member
Have folks seen the film of the funeral of Collins?
I have often thought that a daring IRA action that day, an attack on the funeral, could have wiped out a big part of the Free State military and political leadership.
Might have hit a bishop or two, also, tho that would have been a bonus.

The Anti-Treaty IRA lacked the killer instinct that the Free Staters showed in abundance. Their leadership was putrid. Their best men were hors de combat--Cathal Brugha was dead, O'Connor and Mellowes were in jail, and would soon be murdered.
This week saw the anniversary of the death of Sean Tracey. He might well have made a fine leader of the Irregulars, since he apparently had a low opinion of Collins.
Speculation....

The Irregulars were Fascists who wouldn't accept two democratic votes.

They got what was coming to them - but nearly destroyed the country in the process......

Anglophile

PI Member
Well in a war situation it is prudent to assume that the other guys are trying to kill you.
Especially when both sides are armed.
Your Israel buddies kill unarmed people, however.
That's why they are war criminals.
It's your 'Palestinian' heroes that specialize in killing unarmed civilians - and have done so for decades.

Shame on you, defending IRA and Palestinian murderers.........

Myles O'Reilly

Deported
PI Member
Top Bloke
The Irregulars were Fascists who wouldn't accept two democratic votes.

They got what was coming to them - but nearly destroyed the country in the process......
You lads got what was coming to you in the prior conflict. Remember Kilmichael? 17 of your finest wiped out in minutes :LOL:

TW Tone

PI Member
Did he not? One of the reasons we won the war of Independence was because of a tightly controlled military and civilian hierarchy. The Brits would have walked all over us otherwise.

So what your telling me is that the leadership of the anti treaty forces had no control over their forces on the ground?

Hey Dev whats the craic? Not too bad yourself? Grand. Btw some of the lads just shot Mick there down in Cork. Jesus that's mad. Suits me though, less competition. What a fortunate circumstance. Mad that I didn't know anything about it all.
The Anti-Treaty IRA were a military junta, or more accurately hoped to be.
Once the Civil War started, the time for politics had passed, as far as they were concerned. Just one more mistake they made.

Dr Valera had absolutely no command role.
Indeed De V never fired a shot in the Civil War.
Just as he didn't in 1916.

Anglophile

PI Member
The Anti-Treaty IRA were a military junta, or more accurately hoped to be.
Once the Civil War started, the time for politics had passed, as far as they were concerned. Just one more mistake they made.

Dr Valera had absolutely no command role.
Indeed De V never fired a shot in the Civil War.
Just as he didn't in 1916.

Indeed - a Fascist junta, long before the Blueshirts...........

TW Tone

PI Member
No. Just killed. He was Commander in Chief of one of the two opposing sides in the Civil war and was killed while literally fighting in a long range gun battle.

Kevin O'Higgins was 'assassinated' 5 years later when there was no conflict raging.
O Reilly, with all your defects you still are able to see things clearly.
Answer the 'murder' crowd if you will, I'm getting bored with their obtuseness.
I think they take their history from the movie Michael Collins, which depicted a ludicrously sinister De Valera.
Moral: Don't study history in the cinema.

Myles O'Reilly

Deported
PI Member
Top Bloke
Consult with Tone - and remind him that many at Kilmichael had lain down their arms and surrendered.
Unarmed. (y)Murdered. (y)
Oh you surrendered alright....falsely. And when the Volunteers came out of their positions you shot 3 dead. At which point Cmdt Barry ordered his men to fire until your entire column was wiped out.

A lovely days work from the boys (y)

Anglophile

PI Member
O Reilly, with all your defects you still are able to see things clearly.
Answer the 'murder' crowd if you will, I'm getting bored with their obtuseness.
I think they take their history from the movie Michael Collins, which depicted a ludicrously sinister De Valera.
Moral: Don't study history in the cinema.
Especially Braveheart and The Patriot.... (y)

Myles O'Reilly

Deported
PI Member
Top Bloke
Indeed - a Fascist junta, long before the Blueshirts.
The real Junta that was Westminster rule was largely removed that this point so don't go worrying yourself Englishman.

Top Bottom