• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Introductions Greetings fae Glesga

GlesgaPapist

PI Member
I have browsed this forum on and off for a year or so, as I appreciate the relatively unfettered debate that's permitted. I feel that a lot of forums are too constrained by political correctness, and reasoned debate and free speech are anathema to many people today.

Having said all that, I try to avoid political discussion nowadays, precisely because the world is so infuriatingly censorious. I have registered on this forum because I am a convert to the Catholic faith! Aye, really. As such, I have become interested in how a once solidly Catholic country like Ireland has become so secular and 'liberal' so quickly. I have been reading a thread today, which has impressed me so much I was inspired to register. I probably will not be a prolific poster on here, but I will certainly add my two pennies' worth on occasion.

Oh, and my footballing allegiance is not to either of the Old Firm (any more), I should add. That might strike people as a random comment, but it's a question that's asked every time I meet an Englishman or an Irishman, it seems. My club has an Irish manager and about five Irish players at the moment, though.

Anyway, I look forward to participating on here.

bells of shandon

PI Member
I have browsed this forum on and off for a year or so, as I appreciate the relatively unfettered debate that's permitted. I feel that a lot of forums are too constrained by political correctness, and reasoned debate and free speech are anathema to many people today.

Having said all that, I try to avoid political discussion nowadays, precisely because the world is so infuriatingly censorious. I have registered on this forum because I am a convert to the Catholic faith! Aye, really. As such, I have become interested in how a once solidly Catholic country like Ireland has become so secular and 'liberal' so quickly. I have been reading a thread today, which has impressed me so much I was inspired to register. I probably will not be a prolific poster on here, but I will certainly add my two pennies' worth on occasion.

Oh, and my footballing allegiance is not to either of the Old Firm (any more), I should add. That might strike people as a random comment, but it's a question that's asked every time I meet an Englishman or an Irishman, it seems. My club has an Irish manager and about five Irish players at the moment, though.

Welcome, we need more people,who are capable of questioning the false narratives and making intelligent contributions to this fine ,but tumultous forum betimes.
The view from our Scots cousins will be appreciated and the coming bye -election where George Galloway is standing should be of interest,
Wee Nicola Krankie has gone full Fascist in recent times and I predict an upset.

welcome to the lunatic asylum.

my tuppence worth........ireland went from nasty Catholic fundamentalist to nasty SocLib leftie fundamentalist in a heartbeat......approx 1995.

we never seem to do moderation or middle of the road.

we went from General Francos' spain to modern Sweden . Both are pretty scary. Scary Eire.

we used to be more Catholic than most countries..........now we are more PC than the average country. With the fastest growing population in the EU, we will soon be changed utterly.

the SNP and SF seem very similar. And i cannot say i approve.

Last edited:

bells of shandon

PI Member
Welcome GP.
I forgot that we have lurkers here too.
I wonder how many.
We probably have considerably more lurkers than members.Always to be remembered when making a contribution.
We can influence, leverage and disseminate opinion and truth against the lies of the MSM, and never underestimate our power to do so.
The scale of that power can be measured by the number of paid trolls that seek to undermine , degrade, distract, disrupt, deflect, usurp intelligent discourse on Ireland 's premier political forum.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Welcome.
I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
Some interesting threads and posters and the moderation is even handed.

gerhard dengler

We probably have considerably more lurkers than members.Always to be remembered when making a contribution.
We can influence, leverage and disseminate opinion and truth against the lies of the MSM, and never underestimate our power to do so.
The scale of that power can be measured by the number of paid trolls that seek to undermine , degrade, distract, disrupt, deflect, usurp intelligent discourse on Ireland 's premier political forum.
Superb post, Bells

page61

PI Member

Not another catholic nut case?

Rose

PI Member

Welcome can I ask you why you converted to Catholicism?

OP
GlesgaPapist

GlesgaPapist

PI Member
Welcome, we need more people,who are capable of questioning the false narratives and making intelligent contributions to this fine ,but tumultous forum betimes.
The view from our Scots cousins will be appreciated and the coming bye -election where George Galloway is standing should be of interest,
Wee Nicola Krankie has gone full Fascist in recent times and I predict an upset.
George Galloway is an opportunistic, self-aggrandising Islamophile; and yet despite these faults, he knows how to irritate the establishment. Who can forget the time he stood up to the Americans? He's also planning to make a documentary about David Kelly, I believe. So in some respects I'd like to see him back in Westminster again. I'm very close to Rutherglen, so that gives me an interest, too.

Anyway, I digress! Thanks for the welcome. For some reason I'm unable to 'thank' folks' posts, I presume this is limited until I come off moderation.

welcome to the lunatic asylum.

my tuppence worth........ireland went from nasty Catholic fundamentalist to nasty SocLib leftie fundamentalist in a heartbeat......approx 1995.

we never seem to do moderation or middle of the road.

we went from General Francos' spain to modern Sweden . Both are pretty scary. Scary Eire.

we used to be more Catholic than most countries..........now we are more PC than the average country. With the fastest growing population in the EU, we will soon be changed utterly.

the SNP and SF seem very similar. And i cannot say i approve.
I'm not sure I agree that Ireland was some sort of theocracy, exactly. However the uber-political correctness could arguably be a case of the pendulum swinging back the other way. Perhaps that's why all those Sheikhs are allegedly having mad coke-fuelled, sex parties involving coprophilia and strap-ons.

Welcome can I ask you why you converted to Catholicism?
Aye, after many years of questioning the meaning of life I decided there was a creator, or at least a supernatural entity or entities. After investigating Buddhism for a couple of years, I came to the conclusion that its philosophy was similar to Jesus' teachings. After reading the New Testament I decided I was a Christian, and investigated (in no specific order): Presbyterianism, Anglicanism, the Church of Christ, the Quakers, Mormonism, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Seventh Day Adventists, Christadelphians, the Orthodox Church, Messianic Judaism, Methodism and the Nazarenes. I have to concede that I didn't want to consider the Catholic Church because of personal prejudice, the Vatican Bank, and the child abuse scandals. But ultimately, when I thought about it, it occurred to me that the Catholic Church was the institution which had kept Christianity alive for approx. 1,500 years, before a certain uppity Catholic priest started caused trouble. The whole New Testament canon was compiled by the Catholic Church, so if it was 'divinely inspired' that meant God worked through the Church. It was the Catholic Church who protected Europe from the Muslim invaders.

The Catholic Church isn't perfect, far from it; but then neither was Peter, nor Judas. Can it be anything other than the divine which would allow the Catholic Church to exist for nearly 2,000 years? The Catholic Church is on its knees in Europe, now. Dwindling congregations, and it's happening as the Bible predicted.

I'm now interested in Sedevacantism and Vatican II, and it strikes me that the Church has been invaded.

bells of shandon

PI Member
George Galloway has his faults and modesty is not one, but he is a great Orator ,fast on his feet in any exchange or debate and as shown in his confrontation with the US Senate ,no shortage of courage and integrity.
He would be a great addition to the discourse at Holyrood and put a fire under the arse of the SNP'
The SNP has little interest in an Independent Scotland ,as shown by their willingness to join the EU. Jumping from one oppressor to an even greater one. They are happy to blow hot air ,but are comfortable with their assured salaries and pensions.
The attack on Alex Salmond has exposed a nest of vipers, who will attempt to destroy anyone who poses a threat to their control of the pig trough.
The Judiciary and Police in Scotland has been immersed in controversy and corruption for many years and George will not be afraid of going after that lot.
But judging by the result of the last Independence referendum, the ballots in Scotland are controlled by MI 5/6, so we await with curiosity, the result from Rutherglen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom