• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Green White and Orange. Not enough?

londonresident

PI Member
Oct 28, 2016
So until the two communities put their tough, ghastly past behind them, there cannot be a green, white and orange flag for all of the island of Ireland.

In the early years of the Stormont power sharing agreement, many aspects of this were never touched on and still aren't. Anybody on here actually from the province? A good few on Irishpolitics.online are, and they are bigoted, and have no interest in understanding the overall picture, because if they did, they'd of had unionists on their forum in numbers, without the dislike and so on.

As one unionist on there who wasn't a radical, made the point that inter community relations have never worked well, online or offline. Goes to show, there is a reason why the peace walls are up. Perhaps in Martin and Ian, had made a genuine effort to really forget the past emotionally, but catologue the past in an honest and intellectual way, perhaps life could of been better in the province.

Irish emigrant

PI Member
Jul 31, 2019
On that account ...we have all ready done our time .

Perhaps we should stand up and say No for once ...its not a crime, It is our country and we have invested a lot of blood in it .. Perhaps watch "the field"
Who should stand up and say NO/. I and many other Irish will not be saying NO, Those who say No are traitors to the Name IRISH. A name that we advertise to the world as being Compassionate and caring, We expect the world to accept our emigrants but refuse give the same respect to immigrants arriving in Ireland. Bet youhave never don the DNA test to see just how Irish you are, My Irish is 96 percent. and i support immigrants sharing our land .

OP
RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
So until the two communities put their tough, ghastly past behind them, there cannot be a green, white and orange flag for all of the island of Ireland.

In the early years of the Stormont power sharing agreement, many aspects of this were never touched on and still aren't. Anybody on here actually from the province? A good few on Irishpolitics.online are, and they are bigoted, and have no interest in understanding the overall picture, because if they did, they'd of had unionists on their forum in numbers, without the dislike and so on.

As one unionist on there who wasn't a radical, made the point that inter community relations have never worked well, online or offline. Goes to show, there is a reason why the peace walls are up. Perhaps in Martin and Ian, had made a genuine effort to really forget the past emotionally, but catologue the past in an honest and intellectual way, perhaps life could of been better in the province.

The two communities? Nothing to do with us? How many times did we invade Britain? Once. And it was so long ago nobody even remembers. And before you say it I know. I don't want to end up like the Picts.

At least the ancient Gaels did it properly, no Belfasts in the land of the Scots.

OP
RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
Why would I want angry failures occupying part of my nation?

The Brits have been around how long? A bit over a millenia and their already crashing and burning?

londonresident

PI Member
Oct 28, 2016
The Britons have been around for a good while, well as an island of people a few thousand years or so. Britons were referred to as the English when they went to Africa nearly five centuries ago.

OP
RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
The Britons have been around for a good while, well as an island of people a few thousand years or so. Britons were referred to as the English when they went to Africa nearly five centuries ago.

True but the ancient Britons aren't the modern Britains. While the Gael is still basically the same. Still fucking mad.

Tbh I think the ancient Britons had more in common with us.

Brittany is way more Briton than Britain.

page61

PI Member
May 25, 2018
Who should stand up and say NO/. I and many other Irish will not be saying NO, Those who say No are traitors to the Name IRISH. A name that we advertise to the world as being Compassionate and caring, We expect the world to accept our emigrants but refuse give the same respect to immigrants arriving in Ireland. Bet youhave never don the DNA test to see just how Irish you are, My Irish is 96 percent. and i support immigrants sharing our land .
That may be your opinion.. I think we are sharing our land a bit to much .
We are compassionate and caring but I and a lot of people draw the line at been taken for a ride, which is what is happening. WE ARE BEEN TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF. We did not have any say in the decision to import .Do you think that is right ?

I do not expect anything form the world ..If my family had of emigrated form Ireland and lived somewhere else , I would not be here.

Ireland at present is barely looking after those who inhabit it..why should we cram them in ? is it to make yourself feel better.

How many Immigrants have you housed? Do you share your home with any? If not , Why Not .

When is enough , enough ? What about quality over quantity

Esto Praesidium

PI Member
Jun 9, 2016
We will need a new flag all right bit how about a few practical solutions to this thorny question?

I will start the ball rolling...

Yeah, a United Ireland flag will probably be some ugly South African job like that decided by a Citizens' Assembly. It will suit the future South African like demographics of the island.

Asked would people be willing to change the Irish flag if it was required for a united Ireland, 50% of the respondents said they would not with 36% saying they would.

The numbers were similar but slightly tighter on the question of changing the national anthem, with 47% saying they would not change the anthem for unity and 41% saying they would.

By contrast, a recent Ámarach Research poll for Claire Byrne Live put general support for a United Ireland at 53%compared to just 19% opposed.

The disparity shows the importance of symbolism to many people, an unsurprising fact but one that must also be respected.

The previous government was more open to the idea of a Citizens’ Assembly than the current one, but perhaps the key question is what will the next government look like?

Last edited:

londonresident

PI Member
Oct 28, 2016
It isn't going to happen. Not until the communities forget their past, could this concept happen. It is dangerous to just ignore that.

The concern should simply be about both states going about their own affairs, not embracing into an oblivion. What happens if some of the Unionist people don't like what they are getting? This is fifty years away for the least.

londonresident

PI Member
Oct 28, 2016

Mr Bruton makes great points.

Personally, I would like to see Irish unity, but we must first build sustained reconciliation, and shared goals, between the two communities in Northern Ireland. That is a commonsense precondition for success.

I suggested this about reconcilation in this thread Hypotheses On The Future Governance of Northern Ireland., on irishpolitics.online and the idiot bigot accused me of knowing nothing, while that is true, the attitude there was stupid. I got the link from that forum from a topic.

Top Bottom