• Welcome to Political Irish.

Why not open a free account and view the site without Adverts.

Please note, for first registration you must not use a VPN, VPN registrations will be refused entry.

Click Here to sign up!

Green White and Orange. Not enough?

Karloff

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
There is no such thing as empire these days, Things have moved on ??// It's now called the commonwealth that includes 52 independent nations and more applying to join.

You seem to be lost in the past with your Empire delusions. There is room for Ireland within this group. Could help with reunification. the great majority of Irish living within this commonwealth would really appreciate such a move.
The Commonwealth is of no importance, the British would like to trick us into joining because they know it would be getting one over on us if they did.

Joining would be yet another concession to the Brits and the Unionists with nothing given in exchange.

Our leaders would love to do it, needless to say.

Hitsticle

PI Member
Feb 2, 2020
I think you may be thinking about the Scots. They were Irish. Took the land off the picts. Maybe the Northern situation is some form of ancient cultural revenge?
I think that may be a popular misconception, but I stand corrected if I'm wrong. As far as I'm aware the Gaels inhabited the channel islands. Ireland, the east coast of England, Cornwall and the West coast of Scotland. Those who inhabited the East coast of England fled when the Romans invaded and inhabited Brittany.
The Picts were definitely Gael. There may have been some territorial rivalry between those up north and the Picts, but they were all the same culture.

Karloff

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
The question of reunification needs just have a majority that wishes it, anything else says that a loyalist vote is worth more than a Green vote and this is the 21st Century ffs.

Now if there is a majority do we still want it is the question then, the Irish Govt say no, they say we need to give more concessions maybe make loyalists some kind of master race in the country, everything in the country should have King Billy's ugly mug on it etc etc etc. I say no to that because not only is it degrading of ourselves and we Irish nationalists are the greater people - but it would also be utterly pointless. The question is can we handle it security wise? I do not think we can to be honest but no matter what happens there will be loyalist terrorist problem if reunification happens.

Karloff

PI Member
Oct 30, 2015
I think that may be a popular misconception, but I stand corrected if I'm wrong. As far as I'm aware the Gaels inhabited the channel islands. Ireland, the east coast of England, Cornwall and the West coast of Scotland. Those who inhabited the East coast of England fled when the Romans invaded and inhabited Brittany.
The Picts were definitely Gael. There may have been some territorial rivalry between those up north and the Picts, but they were all the same culture.
Picts are not Gael - they were P-Celts like the Welsh. They were in Scotland before the Gaels arrived and their culture and identity was trashed by both Gael and Saxon. The Pict became the subsumed culture in the new Scotland.

We in Ireland need to make sure we don't follow the same path wrt Loyalists and Orangeism, they have major support among elites down here who hate the Catholic Church and the revolutionary history of Ireland. I say we wait and see let the birth rates decide things, keep things as they are - Catholics up there make babies. Both parts of the island will likely be overrun with complete foreigners soon anyway.

Hitsticle

PI Member
Feb 2, 2020
Picts are not Gael - they were P-Celts like the Welsh. They were in Scotland before the Gaels arrived and their culture and identity was trashed by both Gael and Saxon. The Pict became the subsumed culture in the new Scotland.

We in Ireland need to make sure we don't follow the same path wrt Loyalists and Orangeism, they have major support among elites down here who hate the Catholic Church and the revolutionary history of Ireland. I say we wait and see let the birth rates decide things, keep things as they are - Catholics up there make babies. Both parts of the island will likely be overrun with complete foreigners soon anyway.
The Gaels arrived before the Celts. The Celts came from Scandinavia. The Gaels came from Persia. Some made their way to the west coast of Russia, some to Scandinavia and the rest to the coastal outskirts of Europe. It was the Gaels that went to Scandinavia who brought the Celts here. The Gaels adopted the Catholic religion hence the Picts St. Andrews cross as their flag.

OP
RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
The Gaels arrived before the Celts. The Celts came from Scandinavia. The Gaels came from Persia. Some made their way to the west coast of Russia, some to Scandinavia and the rest to the coastal outskirts of Europe. It was the Gaels that went to Scandinavia who brought the Celts here. The Gaels adopted the Catholic religion hence the Picts St. Andrews cross as their flag.

The Gaels came from Persia.

You'll have to explain tht one. Not having a go, genuinely interested?

Hitsticle

PI Member
Feb 2, 2020
The Gaels came from Persia.

You'll have to explain tht one. Not having a go, genuinely interested?
They did apparently. I can't recall offhand atm what it was called at the time, but I will post some links tomorrow if that's ok?

OP
RealMcCoy

RealMcCoy

PI Member
Jan 23, 2020
Gaels, are more Spanish in origin, certainly the celtic people.

Basques and Catalanss are definitely really like us. More so then Spain. Hence the independence movements.

Who knows, maybe someday we'll create the Gaelic empire;)