Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

gothic novel recommendations

OP
Schwarzkunst-Zauberlei

Schwarzkunst-Zauberlei

PI Member
Restricted
J K Huysmans "La Bas" Is one I've had on my shelf for a long time. Started to read it but never finished it. At the time it was the involvement of Gilles De Rais that drew me to it.
I have a novel by him that I never read but that Wilde apparently considered 'The Bible of Dandyism'

actually funny about Wilde he exuded this aristocratic air but it was very superficial - in reality he was a left-wing anarch

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I have a novel by him that I never read but that Wilde apparently considered 'The Bible of Dandyism'

actually funny about Wilde he exuded this aristocratic air but it was very superficial - in reality he was a left-wing anarch
"Against the Grain" or "Against Nature"? Writing freaked Huysmans so much he converted to Catholicism afterwards. Wilde was very superficial and to be honest a bit of a creep. I think homosexualists promote him just because he was "one of the tribe".

Conall Gulban

PI Member
"Against the Grain" or "Against Nature"? Writing freaked Huysmans so much he converted to Catholicism afterwards. Wilde was very superficial and to be honest a bit of a creep. I think homosexualists promote him just because he was "one of the tribe".
Freaked him out in what way.. Like the subject matter he was focusing on?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Freaked him out in what way.. Like the subject matter he was focusing on?
The whole thing frightened him. I think writing it opened up for his visions the abysses that easily become possible when you focus entirely on the aesthetic to the exclusion of the ethical.

Top Bottom