Gorse Fire reveals Hidden Sign

Hidden WW2 sign revealed after gorse fire

A World War Two-era landmark that had disappeared from sight has been rediscovered along the Irish coast after a wildfire scorched the ground.

The aerial sign was spotted at Bray Head, County Wicklow, by the Garda (Irish police) Air Support Unit as they flew over the area after the blaze.

The huge letters spell out the word Éire, which means Ireland in the Irish language.

Over 80 Éire signs were dotted around the coast in WW2 to warn bombers they were flying over a neutral country.
I hadn't realised they had done so many.

OP
OP
Cruimh
It is interesting that they used ÉIRE - I wonder how many German Pilots/observers would have recognised the word? Presumably Eduard Hempel, the German Ambassador 1937-1945 had made sure the Luftwaffe were informed.

My uncle was in the LDF during the war and had to create one of these near Oysterhaven on the south coast. It was still there in the early 1970’s, but was destroyed then. Pity

My grandfather was LDF during the war. Unfortunately know nothing of his service but have his medal.

Their tasks varied from coastal watch to reclaiming bogs for tillage crops, taking down road signs etc. My uncle reckoned some joined just to get the big army coat and boots, a legend that was attached to the FCA later as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cruimh
I wonder should we as a State refer to the country as Éire in everyday speak?
I don't remember the exact context, but I vaguely remember Northern Nationalists objecting to Unionists referring to the 26 as Éire as they, understandably enough in the light of Bunreacht of that time regarded "Éire" as including NI

Top Bottom