Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Georgian Dublin

@graceland.com

PI Member
And the Pedants Award of the Day goes to....(and not even an hour and a half into the day!)
Also better tell the South Dublin Georgian Core Residence Association that there interest in this matter is misplaced.

But regardless of all that, a building can have historic value regardless of its aesthetic appeal
And do you have no concern about the developers acting probably illegally, at least in haste to allow for there being no going back (they hoped)? They did so out of greed and expedience no doubt. If no one objects to this what will be next? Is there no line you would draw?
One thing I can guarantee - whatever goes up in place of the O'Rahilly House will have zero architectural merit. Just another box of glass and steel that will look like crap in 10 or 20 years.
The type of thing goes on all the time in Ireland with the covert approval of councils politicians banks guards lawyers, etc, it's all about money.

page61

PI Member
That Orahilly house is as far removed from Georgian Architecture as you can get.
what philistine brought that thing onto the thread.?
By the looks of it too its a shoddily built house.
No loss if its gone.
You do not need to be such a prick about it. This is not your personel site. . Do a bit of research as you would say to people.
It was not shoddy by any stretch of the imagination unless you viewed it when it was surrounded by rubble. If so. you have fallen for the oldest developers con job of all time.. run it down and call it an eye sore.

page61

PI Member
It's a tricky topic to push since it lacks the immediate human element that gets people riled up, but preventing the desecration and re-purposing of noteworthy old buildings is an issue that would receive almost universal support from the public. The only ones against it are the types that deserve to burn in hell; so any initiative for the protection and creation of great architecture would help weed out subversives from Universities and Politics, while also increasing morale rather than destroying it.
Well said.

page61

PI Member
Some very good points there, though I'd images things have improved since the brown envelope days of back in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
Im not sure it has. Look at the recent demolition of the orahilly house in the middle of the night.
The developer who wants to build on St Annes park (which has two Judicial reviews in process) tried to sneak a road layout ,including the names of buildings yet to be built through the monthly DCC meeting only last week. He then would have been able to say that his plan is in advanced stage. Hammerson , the company who want to demolish Moore st bought off (with tea , buns and compliments) members of a 1916 relatives group and a prominent Councillor to try an advance their plans because the relatives group who were against it where making headway in its preservation .

Dublin is rife with dodgy developers, perhaps they do not pass brown envelops but they do in other ways.

@graceland.com

PI Member
Im not sure it has. Look at the recent demolition of the orahilly house in the middle of the night.
The developer who wants to build on St Annes park (which has two Judicial reviews in process) tried to sneak a road layout ,including the names of buildings yet to be built through the monthly DCC meeting only last week. He then would have been able to say that his plan is in advanced stage. Hammerson , the company who want to demolish Moore st bought off (with tea , buns and compliments) members of a 1916 relatives group and a prominent Councillor to try an advance their plans because the relatives group who were against it where making headway in its preservation .

Dublin is rife with dodgy developers, perhaps they do not pass brown envelops but they do in other ways.
They don't use brown envelopes now
Its the digital age
But the result is the same
You only have to look at some of the hideous developments taking place
Huge blocks of apartments shovelledi into sites that previously were occupied by 6 or 7 single story cottages.
They are all over the place ugly Soviet style blocks bearing no resemblance to the existing vernacular architecture.
Kook at the big tree pub site at the NCR a huge square modern block rising behind an existing 19th century pub completely out of context with the surroundings, all designed for maximum profit with no thought whatsoever to anything else

The Field Marshal

PI Member
And the Pedants Award of the Day goes to....(and not even an hour and a half into the day!)
Also better tell the South Dublin Georgian Core Residence Association that there interest in this matter is misplaced.

But regardless of all that, a building can have historic value regardless of its aesthetic appeal
And do you have no concern about the developers acting probably illegally, at least in haste to allow for there being no going back (they hoped)? They did so out of greed and expedience no doubt. If no one objects to this what will be next? Is there no line you would draw?
One thing I can guarantee - whatever goes up in place of the O'Rahilly House will have zero architectural merit. Just another box of glass and steel that will look like crap in 10 or 20 years.
Only a true moron would ever regard that orahily hse as even remotely connected to the Georgian architectural style.
You mentioned some loons called South Dublin Georgian Core Residence Association.
Georgian architecture encompasses both north and south Dublin.
So the very name f that outfit makes one suspicious.

Now for historical persons.
Your attitude then would be that the pisspot of every Irish patriot has value and should be preserved.

You are also antiprogress and want to keep a badly constructed building of little aesthetic merit preserved.
Well done to the people who knocked that shoddy building,

The Field Marshal

PI Member
You do not need to be such a prick about it. This is not your personel site. . Do a bit of research as you would say to people.
It was not shoddy by any stretch of the imagination unless you viewed it when it was surrounded by rubble. If so. you have fallen for the oldest developers con job of all time.. run it down and call it an eye sore.
I can spot a badly built building any day.
That house was badly built on the cheap.
The photo of it before it was knocked clearly shows that.

It certainly did not merit preservation on any aesthetic grounds whatsoever.

ShumanTheHuman

PI Member
Only a true moron would ever regard that orahily hse as even remotely connected to the Georgian architectural style.
You mentioned some loons called South Dublin Georgian Core Residence Association.
Georgian architecture encompasses both north and south Dublin.
So the very name f that outfit makes one suspicious.

Now for historical persons.
Your attitude then would be that the pisspot of every Irish patriot has value and should be preserved.

You are also antiprogress and want to keep a badly constructed building of little aesthetic merit preserved.
Well done to the people who knocked that shoddy building,

No one was suggesting it was connected to Georgian architecture. The theme of the thread developed into a discussion of the treatment of historic building in this country in general
The "loons" you mention perhaps see this issue as connected to their cause and this is just pathetic pedantry on your part yet again.

Drawing the conclusion about what I would or would not preserve is laughable. Again pathetic
Again suggesting I am anti progress based on this case is ridiculous

They were a fine collection of Edwardian Houses. Only a ignoramus would cheer on their destruction and the bland modernist trash they will be replaced by

The Field Marshal

PI Member
[/QUOTE]
No one was suggesting it was connected to Georgian architecture. The theme of the thread developed into a discussion of the treatment of historic building in this country in general
The "loons" you mention perhaps see this issue as connected to their cause and this is just pathetic pedantry on your part yet again.

Drawing the conclusion about what I would or would not preserve is laughable. Again pathetic
Again suggesting I am anti progress based on this case is ridiculous

They were a fine collection of Edwardian Houses. Only a ignoramus would cheer on their destruction and the bland modernist trash they will be replaced by
Edwardian?
I thought it was only one house that was knocked and not a collection .
Since I have no idea what replaces it nor have I commented on what might replace it your allegation that I cheer lead modern architecture is without substance.
But since you invite comment my preference for a replacement would be a large stone Chateau single family house in the French 16th century neoclassical style.
Happy?

page61

PI Member
I can spot a badly built building any day.
That house was badly built on the cheap.
The photo of it before it was knocked clearly shows that.

It certainly did not merit preservation on any aesthetic grounds whatsoever.

I will assume you have bad eyesight and are ignorant of building methods or were looking at the wrong pictures.

page61

PI Member
They don't use brown envelopes now
Its the digital age
But the result is the same
You only have to look at some of the hideous developments taking place
Huge blocks of apartments shovelledi into sites that previously were occupied by 6 or 7 single story cottages.
They are all over the place ugly Soviet style blocks bearing no resemblance to the existing vernacular architecture.
Kook at the big tree pub site at the NCR a huge square modern block rising behind an existing 19th century pub completely out of context with the surroundings, all designed for maximum profit with no thought whatsoever to anything else
You should see the approved plan for Parnell square library.. Shaffrey and Associates have been on the state payroll for years and they "designed" this concrete monstrosity to sit inside the buildings of the former school . they should be fined for even suggesting the plan .

Top Bottom