Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Georgian Dublin

page61

PI Member
I work a stones throw from there and the other houses were demolished asap the building sites were reopened. It was some shock seeing the area flattened. Lovely, large rare enough stylewise houses by Herbert park to be replaced by monotone modern blandness. Like you say the O'Rahilly house will be left completely out of place
People need to understand we live in a barbarous age
As of to date..it is due for demolition

page61

PI Member
I think the great Roger Scrutons (rip) views on architecture should be the norm . Destroying historical structures for the sake of money is beyond criminal.

While his take on architecture is appealing, I think he has too many opinions that confuse issues

TheIrishRight

PI Member
He has a lot of opinions

Is there a set number that one should have?

The man was a great thinker, I believe having thoughts and opinions come with that.

What do you disagree with him on? I sense you dislike him for the mere sake of it

page61

PI Member
Is there a set number that one should have?

The man was a great thinker, I believe having thoughts and opinions come with that.

What do you disagree with him on? I sense you dislike him for the mere sake of it

I sense you are looking for someone to have an argument with.

Nobody is right all of the time, I disagreed with his views on thatcher most of all but I do not dislike him .. Its healthy to disagree sometimes , but I am not getting into a debate about it.

TheIrishRight

PI Member
I sense you are looking for someone to have an argument with.

Nobody is right all of the time, I disagreed with his views on thatcher most of all but I do not dislike him .. Its healthy to disagree sometimes , but I am not getting into a debate about it.

So its clear your previous comments were just filler to air your displeasure at the man, nothing to do with his views re architecture etc which is the point of this thread.

page61

PI Member
Despite a plethora of facts relating to the significant historical interest in this house ................................

ShumanTheHuman

PI Member
PI Member
Despite a plethora of facts relating to the significant historical interest in this house ................................

Leaving aside the disregard for any historical importance a 12 story block is massive in that location. The Herbert Park Hotel and near by offices/apartments are only six stories. There is a small row of terrace houses on Pembroke place that this will back onto. They still are mostly occupied by the ordinary working class Dubs. This will be horrendous for them alone. And it'll ruin the corner of Herbert part that backs on from the other side

Last edited:

Catalpa

PI Member
Leaving aside the disregard for any historical importance a 12 story block is massive in that location. The Herbert Park Hotel and near by offices/apartments are only six stories. There is a small row of terrace houses on Pembroke place that this will black onto. They still are mostly occupied by the ordinary working class Dubs. This will be horrendous for them alone. And it'll ruin the corner of Herbert part that backs on from the other side

Totally out of sync with the area other than that high rise block on the Clyde Rd side of the park.

Hopefully it will not be allowed to go ahead.

Any of those working class Dubs still left in those Mews is sitting on a Fortune though!

ShumanTheHuman

PI Member
PI Member
Totally out of sync with the area other than that high rise block on the Clyde Rd side of the park.

Hopefully it will not be allowed to go ahead.

If An Bord Pleanála have given the go ahead that's done deal isn't it?

Any of those working class Dubs still left in those Mews is sitting on a Fortune though!

Maybe. But if they were interested in that they could have sold up anytime. The cottages by the river in Ballsbridge are mostly bought out by yuppies at this stage. People would have happy to sell up from these as they were prone to flooding in the past. Nice new flood defenses to protect the blow ins now though

Top Bottom