Game of Thrones

Superhans

Site Admin
Staff member
Site Admin
Donator
Premium Account
Well the season 6 trailer for Game of Thrones has just dropped onto the internet and it looks pretty good.

Season six of Game of Thrones will be simulcast on Sky Atlantic at 2am on 25th April, at the same time it airs in the US and will be repeated 9pm the same day. If you've missed any of the action so far, every episode of seasons 1-5 will be exclusively available to watch on Sky Box Sets from 14th March.

I may be the only person in Ireland who hasn't watched that show. To be fair over the past decade or rather since around 2000 with the West Wing and Sopranos, TV has picked up an awful lot or so they say. With so much on then, missing out on Game of Thrones is perfectly plausible and not at all strange. And I can't be one of those types who really try and live in the universe to escape reality with large books and LARP. (live action role playing). The Larping may be only in the United States and a few other places. Although Game of Thrones may be too much for the cool kids to allow larping.

Edit. Watched a live action video and it looks like the set of Braveheart. They have dozens of tents pitched up, all kitted out for Christ's sake. It is taken seriously indeed. So what? Historical re- enactments are popular too. The key point is.... this is fiction with elves and goblins and thus a bit childish perhaps. Let's not turn to larping folks - the key message I'd like to get across tonight.

Flamer

Political Irish
I may be the only person in Ireland who hasn't watched that show. To be fair over the past decade or rather since around 2000 with the West Wing and Sopranos, TV has picked up an awful lot or so they say. With so much on then, missing out on Game of Thrones is perfectly plausible and not at all strange. And I can't be one of those types who really try and live in the universe to escape reality with large books and LARP. (live action role playing). The Larping may be only in the United States and a few other places. Although Game of Thrones may be too much for the cool kids to allow larping.

Edit. Watched a live action video and it looks like the set of Braveheart. They have dozens of tents pitched up, all kitted out for Christ's sake. It is taken seriously indeed. So what? Historical re- enactments are popular too. The key point is.... this is fiction with elves and goblins and thus a bit childish perhaps. Let's not turn to larping folks - the key message I'd like to get across tonight.
Your missing out on a gem of a show TBH FS.

You would have to like stuff like Lord of the rings though.

Your missing out on a gem of a show TBH FS.

You would have to like stuff like Lord of the rings though.
With these kinds of shows, you really have to start at the beginning. It may be good, but it will take ages to watch, to get through it. What a massive problem to be faced with in life. So many crucial decisions at stake here.

''Martin was inspired by a couple of events in Scottish history. One of them was the 15th century historical event known as the "Black Dinner", where the Scottish king invited the chieftains of the powerful Clan Douglas to a feast at Edinburgh Castle. A black bull's head, the symbol of death, was served as the last course of the dinner while a single drum was playing in the background, and the Douglas' were murdered. Another event from which the author drew inspiration was the 1692 Massacre of Glencoe, where Clan MacDonald hosted the Campbell Clan who killed thirty-eight of their hosts overnight.''

The Gaelic Law of hospitality:

''Under Brehon Law, all households were obliged to provide some measure of oigidecht (hospitality) to travelers, even if unknown, as the root word oigi actually means ‘stranger.’ This hospitality included food, drink, a bed, and entertainment. No prying questions could be asked of the guest, and once hospitality was accepted, the visitor was obliged to refrain from any violence or quarrel in the house. Monetary payment was never expected, but exchanges of traveling tales, poetry and songs were welcome.

Refusal to offer hospitality was not only a sure road to an embarrassing reputation, it was illegal and a fine could be levied on the offending household. Old Irish literature tells of one nobleman’s fall from grace for having committed that indiscretion. King Bres, who is said to have been half-Fomorian and half-Tuatha de Danaan, ruled for seven years and during that time no one ever received hospitality in his court. When he treated the illustrious poet Cairbre in so rude a manner, the bard composed such a scathing satire about Bres that the king was forced to give up his kingdom and flee to the land of his Fomorian father.

The Brehon Law’s hospitality proviso applied to all whether rich or poor, but to minimize the burden on families each local Ri (chieftain) established bruideans (public houses) within his territory and appointed briugus to administer them. Being a briugu was a position of high honor that brought with it not only prestige and wealth but numerous privileges as well. A bruigu could have as many servants as a king and enjoyed the same protections. A tract of land large enough to keep the bruidean supplied with provisions was entrusted to the briugu’s stewardship and it required excellent management skills.''

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=...comes/&usg=AFQjCNGtaVvlX7y7DLIFERYvdC2q5Udp9A

The Red Wedding scene is loosely based on a real life event in Scotland known as the Massacre of Glencoe. It was illegal under Gaelic Law to refuse someone a bed and a bit of grub.

With these kinds of shows, you really have to start at the beginning. It may be good, but it will take ages to watch, to get through it. What a massive problem to be faced with in life. So many crucial decisions at stake here.
Dont watch the video above, one of the best scenes in the show!

Its worth a watch, and if you dont like the first episode you wont like the rest.

I watched the first after choosing to not watch the show, didn't think I would like it, but after the 1st episode I was hooked and ended up watching 3 seasons back to back over a very long weekend!

@smurftool. Might leave that clip alone for now. 3 seasons is good going over a weekend though.

@An Leatheanach Ban. Wonder was the hospitality law used as a tool to keep the peace, after all no police force at the time, while over in Scotland the powerful slaughtered each other over dinner. It's not my area at all and it was a long time ago...... but what a shower of vicious bastards.

@smurftool. Might leave that clip alone for now. 3 seasons is good going over a weekend though.

@An Leatheanach Ban. Wonder was the hospitality law used as a tool to keep the peace, after all no police force at the time, while over in Scotland the powerful slaughtered each other over dinner. It's not my area at all and it was a long time ago...... but what a shower of vicious bastards.

There's a mountain in Scotland called McLean's hill, and that's where the name An Leatheanach Ban comes from.. 4 minutes into this video a Traveler woman names all of the Clans who died at Culloden and Glencoe. I checked it out and compared her folk memory to that of proper historians, and despite the passage of time, she was 100% accurate. In Gaelic society we were all born as nobles..

Coldfish

Political Irish
Great Episode last night, we are 1 show over the half way Mark.

I wont say too much about last night, but Ill put it in spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

I'm going to say I'm nearly one hundred percent positive we're getting Lady Stoneheart after that episode. Bringing the Freys back, mentioning the Brotherhood Without Banners, and a line specifically about Catelyn's throat being slashed. Holy shit.

I watched it last night, just couldn't wait for tonight so I watched, Tired but worth it!

Really enjoying the simulcast Sky are doing, it has stopped me downloading it and now im happy to watch the adds!

Looks like the show could be coming to an end with just around 14 shows left.

:(

Game of Thrones: Will there only be 7 episodes next season?!

Director Jack Bender drops a frightening hint about the future of Westeros.

Game of Thrones director Jack Bender is fuelling those terrifying rumours that the series will be ending with only two more shortened seasons.
Jack Bender - aka the director behind season six's heartbreaking 'The Door' - has seemingly revealed while discussing a possible return to Game of Thrones that only seven episodes are being planned for next year

Earlier in the year, Game of Thrones producers David Benioff and D. B. Weiss hinted that they have only between 10-15 more hours of story left.
"We're not walking away. We're approaching the finish line," they said. "From the outset, our hope was to tell a complete story - beginning, middle and end.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/game-o.../game-of-thrones-only-7-episodes-next-season/

Top Bottom