Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Orlared Gaeltacht 2020 | "Gaeltacht regions reduced to Indian reservations" | TG4 documentary

Anglophile

PI Member
Neither Sinn Féin Leaders nor the IRA Army Council backroom Volunteers have staged a single news conference in Irish - because they
can't speak enough Irish - and there aren't enough voters who can understand Irish!!!:oops:

Zosimus

PI Member
The president should conduct all business exclusively through Irish. It's absurd that that he doesn't. The office of the Uachtarán should be an exclusively Hibernophone office. Naturally of course I think the whole country should be run through Irish but since the role of the Uachtarán is ceremonial it's nonsense that he speaks any English in office at all.

I truly believe Irish could have been saved if we had imported a monarch from a European royal house and had them conduct all ceremonies through Irish alone. I believe the Gaels are a naturally royalist people and one particularly inclined to model themselves on their leaders.

TW Tone

PI Member
Do you think Higgins' poetry should be translated to Irish and put on the Leaving Cert syllabus?

Zosimus

PI Member
Do you think Higgins' poetry should be translated to Irish and put on the Leaving Cert syllabus?

Not on the syllabus, no, but a lot of very silly Irish writing in English improves once translated into Irish. Even Yeats's plays are possibly good in Irish.

TW Tone

PI Member
The IRA in earlier campaigns, say 1950s,was full of Gaeilgeoiri.

The stench of hypocrisy was overwhelming when McDonald and O Neill in the north were waffling on about language rights
Neither of them could speak a sentence in Irish.

Zosimus

PI Member
The IRA in earlier campaigns, say 1950s,was full of Gaeilgeoiri.

The stench of hypocrisy was overwhelming when McDonald and O Neill in the north were waffling on about language rights
Neither of them could speak a sentence in Irish.

Is it hypocrisy to recognise the value of a language you don't speak? I only half-know Irish, but I know it enough to know its value. Would it be hypocritical to be excited about the discovery of the lost books of Aristotle if you didn't know any Greek?

TW Tone

PI Member
Is it hypocrisy to recognise the value of a language you don't speak? I only half-know Irish, but I know it enough to know its value. Would it be hypocritical to be excited about the discovery of the lost books of Aristotle if you didn't know any Greek?

A rational thought, but I reject it.

Both O Neill and McDonald are from a fairly comfortable class. They had ample opportunities to learn the language if it mattered so much to them.
They didn't.
In that respect I despise Adams but recognise how he laboured to gain some proficiency in adverse times.

Zosimus

PI Member
A rational thought, but I reject it.

Both O Neill and McDonald are from a fairly comfortable class. They had ample opportunities to learn the language if it mattered so much to them.
They didn't.
In that respect I despise Adams but recognise how he laboured to gain some proficiency in adverse times.

'A rational thought but I reject it' should be our national motto.

Top Bottom