Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

French Parliament votes that anti-Zionism is anti-Semitism.

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I suspect that there are internal as well as external reasons for this. The French State has been moving ever closer to banning Equality and Reconciliation the Party of Alain Soral, who was formerly a leading member of the French Communist Party and a member of the central committee of the Front National, who is currently now in prison over trumped up charges. I think he is one of the few people actually thinking seriously about France's future and indeed one of the few serious concrete political thinkers left in Western Europe. This was of course pushed by Bernard Henri-Levy which I think should raise questions about- anti-Semitism is actually something real in France unlike in Ireland and Britain where it is generally seen as a fringe and distasteful cranky thing, and it exists not just among the Muslims but among both the indigenous right and to a lesser extent the indigenous left. While a lot of right wing anti-Semites do support the Zionist project (largely because they want somewhere to kick Bernard Henri-Levy and Alain Frinkelkraut out to) they are bound to see as confirmation of conspiracy theories about Jews being in total control. So what is Bernard Henri-Levy playing at? The likelihood that he has not thought this through remains a possibility that should not be dismissed.

French parliament decides anti-Zionism is antisemitism

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
It is even more sinister than I thought- "Criticising the very existence of Israel as a collective composed of Jewish citizens is tantamount to hatred towards the Jewish community," . So now saying that "Arab Israelis" should have equal standing all around is tantamount to hatred towards world Jewry as an entire body. So basically not only is Hadash "anti-Semitic" but so is a significant proportion of Mertz.

Clanrickard

PI Member
It is even more sinister than I thought- "Criticising the very existence of Israel as a collective composed of Jewish citizens is tantamount to hatred towards the Jewish community," . So now saying that "Arab Israelis" should have equal standing all around is tantamount to hatred towards world Jewry as an entire body. So basically not only is Hadash "anti-Semitic" but so is a significant proportion of Mertz.
Link? Credible one please.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
I suspect that there are internal as well as external reasons for this. The French State has been moving ever closer to banning Equality and Reconciliation the Party of Alain Soral, who was formerly a leading member of the French Communist Party and a member of the central committee of the Front National, who is currently now in prison over trumped up charges. I think he is one of the few people actually thinking seriously about France's future and indeed one of the few serious concrete political thinkers left in Western Europe. This was of course pushed by Bernard Henri-Levy which I think should raise questions about- anti-Semitism is actually something real in France unlike in Ireland and Britain where it is generally seen as a fringe and distasteful cranky thing, and it exists not just among the Muslims but among both the indigenous right and to a lesser extent the indigenous left. While a lot of right wing anti-Semites do support the Zionist project (largely because they want somewhere to kick Bernard Henri-Levy and Alain Frinkelkraut out to) they are bound to see as confirmation of conspiracy theories about Jews being in total control. So what is Bernard Henri-Levy playing at? The likelihood that he has not thought this through remains a possibility that should not be dismissed.

French parliament decides anti-Zionism is antisemitism

Most of these MPs are in debt to Jewish banks.

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Most of these MPs are in debt to Jewish banks.
Maybe. I don't think it is that simple though. One of the things that concerns me is the dying away of Western Europe's intellectual traditions, and this is most evident I think in Bernard Henri-Levy being seen as a great thinker (before Clanrickard starts I regard many Western European Jews as having been great thinkers), when you go that far down the road into barbarous mindlessness you could swallow anything- than there is the fact that if you look through out the West at are political class you see a rather flabby lot who seem to stand for basically nothing but feathering their nests and defending the status quo no matter how inept and disasterous it becomes. Look at roc_ though for all his faults he has clear passion, people with clear passion can often rail road others into things particularly if they do not see those things as going against their immediate interests.

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
No no what you said was..................

That link says nothing of the sort.
Read it again-

"French MPs said criticism of Israel can sometimes amount to antisemitism in a resolution passed by 154 votes against 72 Tuesday. "Criticising the very existence of Israel as a collective composed of Jewish citizens is tantamount to hatred towards the Jewish community," the preamble said. "

So therefore stating that "Israel" should be a collective for ALL it's citizens is tantamount to hatred for everyone across the world who identifies as Jewish. This is not rocket science.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Read it again-

"French MPs said criticism of Israel can sometimes amount to antisemitism in a resolution passed by 154 votes against 72 Tuesday. "Criticising the very existence of Israel as a collective composed of Jewish citizens is tantamount to hatred towards the Jewish community," the preamble said. "

So therefore stating that "Israel" should be a collective for ALL it's citizens is tantamount to hatred for everyone across the world who identifies as Jewish. This is not rocket science.

Poor old Clanrickard always had trouble with the Queen's English, but the subtleties of the French language are quite beyond his ken.

Top Bottom