Favorite Blues Tunes

Threads
I prefer Cream's version of Crossroads.

John Lee Hooker's interpretation of the Blues is worth listening to.
Ye I like both versions. There is something about the simplicity of Johnson's version that I really like. He is a fascinating character, and a lot of mystery surrounds his life and death. It is worth reading up on his life story.

Threads
Field Marshall, do you think there is a Blues vibe from this uniquely gifted Ethiopian nun.

On the clip provided not possible to say as that tune is a tad amateurish lacking a solid base line with far too many chromatic type scalar progressions of the most elementary kind.
She looks and sounds like a very young person tricking about on the piano who has some elementary musical knowledge but with a very long way to go.
On the positive side the playing is fluid and confident even slightly nuanced and there is an effort at creativity that partly succeeds.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and perhaps there are better examples of her playing which I might find?

Edit :it seems she is in fact now quite elderly and other clips demonstrate a substantial improvement .

Last edited:
Threads
On the clip provided not possible to say as that tune is a tad amateurish lacking a solid base line with far too many chromatic type scalar progressions of the most elementary kind.
She looks and sounds like a very young person tricking about on the piano who has some elementary musical knowledge but with a very long way to go.
On the positive side the playing is fluid and confident even slightly nuanced and there is an effort at creativity that partly succeeds.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and perhaps there are better examples of her playing which I might find?

Edit :it seems she is in fact now quite elderly and other clips demonstrate a substantial improvement .
Trust me, it will grow on you. To me her music, like her life, is inspired by something Holy.

Threads
Trust me, it will grow on you. To me her music, like her life, is inspired by something Holy.
ok.
wearing a religious habit or priests collar does not axiomatically make a performer or composer better in any genre of music.

Indeed sometimes the deference accorded to religious dress frequently inspires acceptance of the most ear splitting music by people who ought to know better.
A lot of crap is played at many catholic masses that surely drove people out the door.

Threads
ok.
wearing a religious habit or priests collar does not axiomatically make a performer or composer better in any genre of music.

Indeed sometimes the deference accorded to religious dress frequently inspires acceptance of the most ear splitting music by people who ought to know better.
A lot of crap is played at many catholic masses that surely drove people out the door.
Mo chara, you are jumping the gun.
I first heard a piece by her on that Sunday Miscellany show earlier in the year, not knowing who was playing. Both I and my 85 year old mother had what could only be called an epiphany listening to the piece that was played. If I have a musical revelation like it again I will be happy. I knew there was something spiritual in the music. When her name was called out at the end of the show I googled it and came across this divine looking Ethiopian nun. A while back I opened one of her pieces on youtube and then opened several windows of the same piece and started them at various intervals. It was another wonderful musical experience.

Threads
Mo chara, you are jumping the gun.
I first heard a piece by her on that Sunday Miscellany show earlier in the year, not knowing who was playing. Both I and my 85 year old mother had what could only be called an epiphany listening to the piece that was played. If I have a musical revelation like it again I will be happy. I knew there was something spiritual in the music. When her name was called out at the end of the show I googled it and came across this divine looking Ethiopian nun. A while back I opened one of her pieces on youtube and then opened several windows of the same piece and started them at various intervals. It was another wonderful musical experience.
That nun is now 90.
The image is v. misleading as it shows her as a young woman.

As an elderly woman she is clearly not as physically attractive.
Maybe you were conned?

Top Bottom