Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Music Video Fairytale of New York - should it be censored?

jpc

PI Member
All this Twitter outrage vaccous idiots "calling out" a song because of whatever the perceived PC heresy's detected.
The UK election demonstrated one major thing.
No one gives a flying fuck about Twitter Facebook or "celebrity" opinions .
And if DJs start banning songs.
Hypocrites.
There's a lot of stuff that should be be but won't because corporation's pay for play lists.

sighthound

PI Member
Like Phil Coulter's elevator music, it's over-played and everywhere.
Isn't the term "Homosexual" in the homosexual sense a US thing anyway? 'Old Homosexual' was always ageist but not a sexual orientation insult iirc.
Old homosexuals are called old queens anyway

Karloff

PI Member
Well, is it banned yet?

McGowan said it on the Late Late performance last night.

As an artist he was quite clear about it, it's the pov of a woman at a certain time and place - it represents how she speaks you aren't supposed to like her or think she is a good person, she may not be a good person.

subversive writer

PI Member
It looks like this festive classic is under fire from thin skinned homosexuals.

Shane MacGowan defends Fairytale of New York lyrics

McGowan's response is intriguing. He explains the meaning behind the lyrics (as if they needed explanation!), but then astonishingly states that he's not too fussed if it's censored - "I don't want an argument". In one way I can sympathise with anyone who has had to deal with the perpetually offended - it must be soul destroying. However, this is a classic tune, arguably the most beloved Christmas tune in the history of music, so surely it deserves to be defended against attack from the inexorable SJW behemoth?

Or would it be better to allow the SJWs to have their way? Eventually people will get browned off with their constant yamming, and ignore them?

What a strange society we live in. Are people really that sensitive about trivial items like the words of an old Christmas song? Or is it just another slow news day in Pinktopia?

It's cheap lousy "faggto" ie a weak limped disposable stick used to whip horses with as in the dude in the song can't get it up any more because he is too old/drunk/spent. The fact the word faggto was used to describe gays is not Germaine to the issue. Once you start going down try rabbit hole.of offense every word is offensive to someone. the word gay itself is offensive.

Homosexuals have hijacked that word for their own use. Gay used to simply mean happy merry having fun. The word Coloured people is simply the portuguese for dark purple. It's the way the English pronounced this word Coloured people that ppl get offended by.

Same with knacker. Whenever a horse would die or be close to death it was sold to the "Ethnic Minority" where they would bring it to a yard Ie a Ethnic Minority yard where it would be stripped down the hair will be used for making paint brushes and the horses bones contains gelatin which when boiled down would make a good glue for wallpaper.

As travelers did travel a lot they would have been the one who had carts and would have had the means to transport the dead animal to the "knackery". people get associated with trades and overtime that becomes their surname. Certain surnames at Archer Thatcher and Mason camr about as result it's just human nature

Greengoose

PI Member

Fairytale of New York
The Pogues
It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you
Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true
They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me
You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night
The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day
You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy Homosexual
Happy Christmas your arse
I pray God it's our last
Still singing Galway Bay
And the bells are ringing out
For Christmas day
I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you
Still singing Galway Bay
And the bells are ringing out
For Christmas day

Clarke-Connolly

PI Member
Remember when you could get Some Homosexual down the Super Market and you would really look forward to getting them inside ya ! !

well, i heard the song just now on the radio......swear-words and all.

so maybe we can preserve a little christmas cheer for the Great Shane McGowan

gerhard dengler

PI Member
It's cheap lousy "faggto" ie a weak limped disposable stick used to whip horses with as in the dude in the song can't get it up any more because he is too old/drunk/spent. The fact the word faggto was used to describe gays is not Germaine to the issue. Once you start going down try rabbit hole.of offense every word is offensive to someone. the word gay itself is offensive.

Homosexuals have hijacked that word for their own use. Gay used to simply mean happy merry having fun. The word Coloured people is simply the portuguese for dark purple. It's the way the English pronounced this word Coloured people that ppl get offended by.

Same with knacker. Whenever a horse would die or be close to death it was sold to the "Ethnic Minority" where they would bring it to a yard Ie a Ethnic Minority yard where it would be stripped down the hair will be used for making paint brushes and the horses bones contains gelatin which when boiled down would make a good glue for wallpaper.

As travelers did travel a lot they would have been the one who had carts and would have had the means to transport the dead animal to the "knackery". people get associated with trades and overtime that becomes their surname. Certain surnames at Archer Thatcher and Mason camr about as result it's just human nature

All true.

"F.aggot used to be defined as a collection of sticks/branches. Of course, ask 99.9% of people today do they know what the word used mean, and they wouldn't have a clue.

The word "gay used mean light/easy going. Ask the same 99.9% of people do they know what that used mean, and again they wouldn't have a clue.

Its curious how words get supplanted with new definitions.

All true.

"F.aggot used to be defined as a collection of sticks/branches. Of course, ask 99.9% of people today do they know what the word used mean, and they wouldn't have a clue.

The word "gay used mean light/easy going. Ask the same 99.9% of people do they know what that used mean, and again they wouldn't have a clue.

Its curious how words get supplanted with new definitions.

the Verb to 'broadcast' was for farmers wandering the ploughed fields and casting their seed left & right.

today all the Broadcasting seems to be to the Left.

Top Bottom