Fairytale of New York - should it be censored?

Helen Back

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
If anything, Helen, it'll give his exchequer a big shot in the arm. People's interest will be piqued because the tune has all of a sudden become naughty.

I have recently seen advertisements for special screenings of Blazing Saddles in posh Hollywood movie theaters for this very same reason. Although I'm sure there are disclaimers galore and most likely lectures about the deleterious effects of any use of the n-word beforehand, I have a feeling that most folks in the theater will be lapping up all the off-color references and toilet humor with guilty pleasure.
Yeah, I should have said "won't adversely affect"....kerching!

Helen Back

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I could go the rest of my life without ever hearing it again, since they play it 'til hell wouldn't have it in shops and without. Banning an Irish Yuletide staple because of a reference to a stick of firewood/cigarette though? I don't get it.
Like Phil Coulter's elevator music, it's over-played and everywhere.
Isn't the term "Homosexual" in the homosexual sense a US thing anyway? 'Old Homosexual' was always ageist but not a sexual orientation insult iirc.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
I'm talking off the top of my head, but I thought it gained its additional meaning after the time when homosexuals were tried for sodomy and burned at the stake using faggots as fuel. People eventually connected sodomites with faggots.

It might be an old wives' tale, but it's interesting anyhow.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Like Phil Coulter's elevator music, it's over-played and everywhere.
Isn't the term "Homosexual" in the homosexual sense a US thing anyway? 'Old Homosexual' was always ageist but not a sexual orientation insult iirc.
Never mind. I looked it up and you're right, Helen. My theory is indeed based on an old wives' tale.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just hope the "dirge" is played non stop from now through to December 26th. Not only will it offend the festival of pink balloons, but certain blasphemers will be screaming "make it stop! make it stop!" throughout the Crimbo period.

*smug smile*

PS: we need a smug smiley emoticon in the "smilies" bar.

Top Bottom