Fairytale of New York - should it be censored?

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
It looks like this festive classic is under fire from thin skinned homosexuals.

The line in question, "You scumbag, you maggot, you cheap lousy Homosexual", is sung by Kirsty MacColl in the song, which was originally released in 1987.

A fresh debate over the lyrics began earlier this week when 2fm broadcaster Eoghan McDermott tweeted that he asked two gay members of his team how they feel about the use of the slur.

"One favours censoring, the other outright not playing it. Neither like it. Simples", he wrote.
Shane MacGowan defends Fairytale of New York lyrics

McGowan's response is intriguing. He explains the meaning behind the lyrics (as if they needed explanation!), but then astonishingly states that he's not too fussed if it's censored - "I don't want an argument". In one way I can sympathise with anyone who has had to deal with the perpetually offended - it must be soul destroying. However, this is a classic tune, arguably the most beloved Christmas tune in the history of music, so surely it deserves to be defended against attack from the inexorable SJW behemoth?

Or would it be better to allow the SJWs to have their way? Eventually people will get browned off with their constant yamming, and ignore them?

What a strange society we live in. Are people really that sensitive about trivial items like the words of an old Christmas song? Or is it just another slow news day in Pinktopia?

jpc

PI Member
No it shouldn't.
And then you have a shower of media numpties deciding to be offended for people who couldn't give a hoot.
Get a life!

Helen Back

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Why the sudden outrage after all these years? Amazing that DJ's can drum up so much publicity from those seeking to be offended by a single word in a ballad about two drunks ranting at each other.
Whatever happens it won't affect the 400k it makes in royalties each year so Shane McG isn't too bothered either at this stage.

(I realise I'm alone in this, but I never saw the genius in FONY, it's not at all uplifting. It's overrated lyrically, and musically it's an uninspiring dirge, imo)

GodsDog

PI Member
It looks like this festive classic is under fire from thin skinned homosexuals.

Shane MacGowan defends Fairytale of New York lyrics

McGowan's response is intriguing. He explains the meaning behind the lyrics (as if they needed explanation!), but then astonishingly states that he's not too fussed if it's censored - "I don't want an argument". In one way I can sympathise with anyone who has had to deal with the perpetually offended - it must be soul destroying. However, this is a classic tune, arguably the most beloved Christmas tune in the history of music, so surely it deserves to be defended against attack from the inexorable SJW behemoth?

Or would it be better to allow the SJWs to have their way? Eventually people will get browned off with their constant yamming, and ignore them?

What a strange society we live in. Are people really that sensitive about trivial items like the words of an old Christmas song? Or is it just another slow news day in Pinktopia?

What gets me is how there can be such a huge fuss over a stupid word in a song
while the same people whom this stuff so offends can so readily ignore the deaths of thousands
and a million people on the brink of starvation in Yemen which our media and governments are all colluding on
through their deafening silence on the matter.

First world problems!

And of course, no such fuss over all those stupid sexist bigoted rap songs
talking blatantly about drugs, murder, using and abusing "bitches" etc etc with no actual moral centre present at all in their lyrics
just mindless glorification of the selfish aquisition of personal wealth!

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
Why the sudden outrage after all these years? Amazing that DJ's can drum up so much publicity from those seeking to be offended by a single word in a ballad about two drunks ranting at each other.
Whatever happens it won't affect the 400k it makes in royalties each year so Shane McG isn't too bothered either at this stage.

(I realise I'm alone in this, but I never saw the genius in FONY, it's not at all uplifting. It's overrated lyrically, and musically it's an uninspiring dirge, imo)
The people who kick up a fuss over these things are just looking for attention. I wasn't surprised to hear the whinger in this case was Eoghan McDermott, who's only slightly less irritating than his sister, Roe McDermott, who often appears on Matt Cooper's radio programme.

The problem with these people is they don't do nuance. They hear the word "Homosexual" and immediately call for the banhammer. There's no consideration of the period when the song was written, the characters involved, the story the songwriter is trying to get across.

The inevitable question is: where do you draw the line? If we're going to censor certain slurs aimed at specific groups of people (LGBT etc.)Tarantino's films would be unwatchable.

Anyone who is offended by this needs to get a life.

Btw I agree with Helen. The song is a dirge.
If anything, Helen, it'll give his exchequer a big shot in the arm. People's interest will be piqued because the tune has all of a sudden become naughty.

I have recently seen advertisements for special screenings of Blazing Saddles in posh Hollywood movie theaters for this very same reason. Although I'm sure there are disclaimers galore and most likely lectures about the deleterious effects of any use of the n-word beforehand, I have a feeling that most folks in the theater will be lapping up all the off-color references and toilet humor with guilty pleasure.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's all getting a bit silly though isn't it? Every month there seems to be some media personality out to set the world to rights over some innocuous lyric, piece of text, quote, movie scene etc. etc.

First world problems indeed.

OrderoftheDragon

PI Member
McDermott the clown got his hole opened on twitter, when king snowflake darcy says you've gone too far, you know you've pulled the PC bus a couple of stops too far. Was a good day for all right thinking people, rte once again proving its complete irrelevance.

Reactions: jpc
Top Bottom