Extinct in the wild, but born in Dublin Zoo

Statsman

PI Member
Threads
A good news story, for a change. A male scimitar-horned oryx, member of a species that is extinct in the wild, was born in Dublin Zoo last week. This means that the a-zoo now has a herd of seven of these rare and wonderful animals. The herd are feeding into a programme of reintroduction in North Africa, with herds being managed in semi-wild conditions in Tunisia.

Rare oryx, extinct in the wild, born at Dublin Zoo

When I was younger, I considered zoos to be prisons for animals, but increasingly they've been reinventing themselves as a vital part of animal conservation, something that I now welcome enthusiastically.

Threads
A good news story, for a change. A male scimitar-horned oryx, member of a species that is extinct in the wild, was born in Dublin Zoo last week. This means that the a-zoo now has a herd of seven of these rare and wonderful animals. The herd are feeding into a programme of reintroduction in North Africa, with herds being managed in semi-wild conditions in Tunisia.
*twitch*

Helen Back

Donator
Premium Account
PI Member
Threads
Good for them, hope mother and baby are doing well and that this birth raises awareness of the barbarism and suffering inflicted on rare and exotic wildlife.

Just a pity some of you couldn't have shown as much concern about preserving unborn human life too, with all its inestimable potential, a couple of months ago. :cry:

rus

PI Member
Threads
Excellent to see. I hope the astronomical prices they charge to enter Dublin zoo continue to go towards these kind of projects. Ultimate aim has to be reversing the extinction in the wild status.

aspie ma

PI Member
Threads
Excellent to see. I hope the astronomical prices they charge to enter Dublin zoo continue to go towards these kind of projects. Ultimate aim has to be reversing the extinction in the wild status.
The price is way over what a normal working class family of 3 could afford, I buy the yearly pass with my brother which means you can go whenever you want ( winter days are great ditto Halloween/mid term breaks) as many times as you want, it covers 1 adult x 4 kids or 2 adults x3 kids. I costs 185 euro, but well worth it.

Top Bottom