Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

European Union: The End?

jpc

PI Member
in the early days of the EU project, they never advertised that Europe would be swamped by men from the Third World.

it is now too late to save the EU experiment. The faith was shattered. The confidence broken, too many lies. Gone.

Name one country where the population are strongly pro EU ? its probably whoever is the poorest country this year.
The English started getting colonials to work in the mills and drive buses.
Must have run out of enough Irish as the economy here was beginning to move post Lemass and Whitaker's reforms.
The French did the same as did the Germans with Turkish "guest" workers.
Again these folk came to work and had a reasonable chance of getting same.
That dynamic has changed.
The EU seemed to miss the fact that industrial landscape was changed to a service economy where different skills are required.
Plus Europe stopped having babies because people wanted everything consumerism had to offer.
That's worked out well!

subversive writer

PI Member
I prayed I would see the EU dissolve in my lifetime. Looks like it will probably happen now:

Honestly I can see it going to a federal Europe.

all countries within the EU will still need to trade in order to prosper

the only way to do that now is to create a green zone of uninfected people.

The only way to do that is to shut down the outer border.

the only way to shut down the out of order is to have closer integration of the member states.

I can't see member state volunteering to make themselves poor just in the interest of nationalism

whyfillaw

PI Member
I see the hospitals in eastern France are overflowing with Covid-19 patients and Switzerland, Germany have taken many patients delivered by helicopter and Ambulance today.The crisis is heading towards central france and the Capital but it is assumed the Lockdown may help to lower the spike a little bit.

DaftPunkisPlayingAtmyHous

Donator
PI Member

PO'Neill

PI Member
Covid is another big blow to the EU.

It'll limp on for another while, but it's much easier to envisage the end of the EU now.

Personally, I think the loss of the UK is the death blow. It just destroys the momentum of the EU Project.
The irony is it was a great chance for the EU to show it could be a force for good.

But it did nothing to help out Italy.

whyfillaw

PI Member
I expect the Nationalists in Spain,Italy , France to do well in the next elections be they local or national.The Italians will not forget the "disgraceful hindrance and lack of help" from the European Commission, Parliament and the ECB.It took the Chinese flying in cargo planes of PPE and other necessities to get the Germans and the Unelected bureaucrats to pull their fingers out of their ears/backsides to help.This help should have been in place by March 5th at the latest as the Italians were on red alert by then in the hospitals.before st patrick's the rugby had been called off and Italy was treated as a pariah/leper where the armies in the EU should have been mobilised to go over to Italy and disinfect the streets , enforce compliance of laws of emergency powers and supply PPE and set up a panel of potential medical assistants to be sent to Italy to help.The EU and the world just ignored WHO and thought "its China's Problem, let them get on with it."At least if there is another scare anywhere else in the near future , the rich countries will take heed and act.

Last edited:

gerhard dengler

PI Member
Premium
I expect the Nationalists in Spain,Italy , France to do well in the next elections be they local or national.The Italians will not forget the "disgraceful hindrance and lack of help" from the European Commission, Parliament and the ECB.It took the Chinese flying in cargo planes of PPE and other necessities to get the Germans and the Unelected bureaucrats to pull their fingers out of their ears/backsides to help.This help should have been in place by March 5th at the latest as the Italians were on red alert by then in the hospitals.
And the outbreak in Italy is concentrated on northern Italy. It's in those regions where votes will be up for grabs.

I think the Mezzogiorno needthe EU more than northern Italy does.

Top Bottom