Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

European Union: The End?

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Exactly..

This is why Ireland is in the mess it's in...
Situation is even more pronounced since the Bailout. I think we had some degree of freedom before that, but that massive bank bill we are carrying has helped turn Ireland into a pathetic vassal state.

Irishman abroad

PI Member
I prayed I would see the EU dissolve in my lifetime. Looks like it will probably happen now:

I've benefitted well from the EU. Its allowed me to reside in various countries, because tbh I get cabin fever in Ireland. I like exploring and experiencing different environments.
However, it is getting increasingly totalitarian. My question is if it collapsed, what would us Irish abroad do? Move back?

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
C19 is predominantly in northern Italy. Northern Italy is the economic engine that keeps that entire nation afloat.
We know that northern Italy and Italy in its entirety is in lockdown, socially and economically.

I hope this is the situation which will cause the EU to collapse
The lack of solidarity from the EU towards Italy and indeed the unbelievable and shocking financial penalisation of Italy by the EU will not help their cause on the Italian peninsula.

What is the use of the EU if it is imposing heavy financial penalities on Italy during the worst crisis in the country since WWII ?

If I was Italian, I would say fuck the EU. It's no use.

DaftPunkisPlayingAtmyHous

Donator
PI Member
from article comments

"Odds are favourable to a total collapse this year and Brits have congratulate each other before the ax will fall. There will be huge fiscal liabilities left from this politically trendy, but very poorly managed project leading into a total bankruptcy, bitter fruits of which have to be shared by 27 remaining member (muppet) nations. The lesson is you cannot establish a new superpower on an exponential indebting and day daydreams even if you believed sincerely in the latter ones."

-

"Europe is in a sad state, without a doubt.

If you go to any major European city, be it Paris, London or Milan, the people walk around as if they've given up on life. I've never seen such a display of spiritual malaise in all my days; I truly don't think they will last much longer...

Now, far be it from me to pass judgement, but one notices a similar trend in the former centers of American civilization. One sees in the faces of those who once ruled the world, in the faces of the former patricians and governors, the ghost of dread and destruction. You can lie to yourself, but you cannot lie to God or those who've trained their eyes. I truly feel that the old-style Americans, on whom the whole of Western civilization depends, lost their souls around 2008. One gets the feeling that they are moved neither by love nor hatred, but are half-ghosts
themselves."

-

"History books in 2050 will write this entry:

EU, a so called superstate, that got wiped out by a plague and when one of its core members, Italy, was under distress, none of EU states offered aid. The help that arrived for Italy came from EU's nemesis, Russia."

Last edited:

El Chaval.

PI Member
I've benefitted well from the EU. Its allowed me to reside in various countries, because tbh I get cabin fever in Ireland. I like exploring and experiencing different environments.
However, it is getting increasingly totalitarian. My question is if it collapsed, what would us Irish abroad do? Move back?
There are 1 million Moroccans living in Spain.
Likewise, probably more Turks living in Germany.
God knows how many Pakies living in England.
You don't need to be an EU member to work abroad.

El Chaval.

PI Member
well it all comes down to money.

Previously we thought money was equal to nice cars, houses, flatscreen tellies and the like.

Covid has reminded us all that saving lives costs money. If i lost some relatives cos the Health Service is banjaxed from lack of funding...i would vote for the angry party in the next election.
I chose to invest in a garden rather than Bitcoin.
How glad I am that I did.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Good synopses From Sanity as to how the EU is collapsing under it's own contradictions
The guy in that video has most of the timber stacked behind in the wrong way.
The bark on a quadrant cut log when stacked should always face downward to assist drying out of the upper open other two surfaces.
Therefore because of this I am slow to start even watching the video.

Last edited:

I don;t know where Italy will go, but they are still second tier. Expect some form of UBI or lots of helicopter money to stave off the herd. If they cannot kickstart these economies and are further or similarly dependent on countries like China to make cheap crap, then nothing will have changed except more debt and clowns calling for cashless societies, everyone getting chipped as well as lots more starbucks and consolidation.

Rommel

PI Member
Covid is another big blow to the EU.

It'll limp on for another while, but it's much easier to envisage the end of the EU now.

Personally, I think the loss of the UK is the death blow. It just destroys the momentum of the EU Project.
After the arse of it our government have made the only option is to get out.

OP
Oliver Plunkett

Oliver Plunkett

Donator
PI Member
European travel for work was not that difficult prior to the EU, if you had desirable skills. Putting an end to low skill grifters and baristas crossing borders is no bad thing

jpc

PI Member
C19 is predominantly in northern Italy. Northern Italy is the economic engine that keeps that entire nation afloat.
We know that northern Italy and Italy in its entirety is in lockdown, socially and economically.

I hope this is the situation which will cause the EU to collapse
In better times I'd agree with you.
Back to a European trading Union would be fine.
Ironically enough that is what Europes nation's would actually need to survive.
Trade yes.
Social policy or impingement on internal national matters no!
Nation's and the people of same nation's, not craven political correctness or NGO'S bully pulpit posturing decide on what nation's do internally.

Top Bottom