Elvis Pearl Harbour Concert 1961

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
This was Elvis last live concert for eight years until he went back on the road in 1969. Must be one of the greatest lost opportunities in all of media history that nobody filmed this - it would be absolutely priceless now. Well, to my mind this is Elvis at the top his his game - he absolutely rocks the socks off the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and all the rest that came up in the 1960s. And we hear Elvis' great sense of humour and self deprecation that was such a lovable feature of his concerts in the 1970s.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
And let's listen to one of his first concerts when he ditched the films and went back on the road. To my mind, he has only gotten better. Elvis was the King of Rock and Roll - Ní bheidh a léithéid arís ann.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Actually, the real Elvis fans will know that the white jump suits was an 1970 idea. He had been doing concerts in 1969 in garb like this. Incredibly - and devastatingly for Elvis fans - none of the 1969 shows were filmed.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
This was Elvis last live concert for eight years until he went back on the road in 1969. Must be one of the greatest lost opportunities in all of media history that nobody filmed this - it would be absolutely priceless now. Well, to my mind this is Elvis at the top his his game - he absolutely rocks the socks off the Beatles and the Rolling Stones and all the rest that came up in the 1960s. And we hear Elvis' great sense of humour and self deprecation that was such a lovable feature of his concerts in the 1970s.

The fact that recordings like this, as primitive as they are, still exist, is heartening. They are wonderful period pieces, replete with all those screaming girls.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
The fact that recordings like this, as primitive as they are, still exist, is heartening. They are wonderful period pieces, replete with all those screaming girls.

Going to an Elvis concert in the 1950s must have been like if we saw aliens from outer space. Maybe more intense because we've been expecting aliens.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
Going to an Elvis concert in the 1950s must have been like if we saw aliens from outer space. Maybe more intense because we've been expecting aliens.
Watching early Elvis, Beatles and Beach Boys concerts makes me wonder how in hell they could concentrate on playing at all. Firstly, you have all these nubile young women who would die to roll in the hay with you at the drop of a hat standing in front of you and secondly, those shrieks they emit are so damn loud, they could drown out a Deep Purple concert.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
Incredibly, someone in the audience of one his 1969 shows took a little bit of Super 8 footage. That's all we have, but it gives us a priceless glimpse. The sound has been superimposed over the silent Super 8 footage - but it is from one of the 1969 shows, which were definitely more rock and roll than the 70s shows.

Tadhg Ó Raghallaigh

Donator
Premium Account
He was a legend! An amazing singer, performer and a decent actor too.

Johnny Cash is another legend IMO.
The fact that he played at Folsom prison in front of all those jailbirds gave him enormous street credibility. His music is a far cry from all that pussified country music we're subjected to today.

OP
OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Premium Account
The fact that he played at Folsom prison in front of all those jailbirds gave him enormous street credibility. His music is a far cry from all that pussified country music we're subjected to today.

Yes, that was an incredible day. Today's "entertainers" would faint at the thought.

Top Bottom