Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Eddie O'Connor confirms NAMA for wind farms coming soon.

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
Nice point in bold.

To the extent that depreciation is a charge for the consumption of the asset, at the end of the depreciation period i.e. at the end of the wind farm's useful life, it has no value, other than maybe that associated with the planning permissions and the enabling infrastructure.

Another significant consideration would be the clean-up cost, if it were found that this wind farm should not be there in the first place. Would an environment impact assessment make this type of finding?
An Bord Plranala will not consider it and the courts so far don't like entertaining it.

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
A wind farm does not have to bear the cost of the extra cabling required, the extra staffing to manage the grid, back up plant, it only has to manage its own costs but the concept is so ridiculous that they still are facing bankruptcy.

The cost of a wind farm is the same as a conventional generating plant which operates every hour of every day all year round. There are gangs of fossil generators and one set of workers, one office etc. A generator can be taken out of to repair leaving the rest to export electricity all the time. So it will yield about 85% output and repay its cost in a reasonable period. The buildings , plinths, offices land and all increase in value but the actual generators can be replaced every 10 years and written off. There is still a lot of remaining value into eternity.

Wind can dispatch/export only 20% to 24% of its rated capacity in a year. So you can see it cant get revenue to the extent that conventional plant can.

Folks feel free to ask me questions, I will do my best to answer them

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
It is stalling because there is fierce opposition but also because there is already a huge amount of wind installed in Germany. The wind capacity in Ireland is 3,500 MW, average daily demand is about 3,300 MW and they plan at least another 500, but are likely to go another 1,000MW.

I was in the company of a few people who believe me on this but they say there is nothing that can be done to stop
it in Ireland. The money is pumped in from the EU and they are about to issue green bonds which the banks will be obliged to use to pay the capital costs of wind. The real question is whether the Irish Government can prevent wind companies going bankrupt or not. I am not sure, they will never admit they got it wrong. Its all part of the brave new world they are building.

jpc

PI Member
So as things stand.
If you are totally dispassionate about the wind farm concept.
Unless a radically improved means of energy storage is introduced rapidly.
It's a total waste of energy and resources.

The Tuath .

PI Member
The turbines near where I live kill lots of birds . They are quite noisy sometimes depending on wind direction . On the plus side I did see one struck by lightning once , that was great , the thing was blown to smithereens ! Massive codology !! We'll be getting a monorail next .

Reactions: jpc
It is stalling because there is fierce opposition but also because there is already a huge amount of wind installed in Germany. The wind capacity in Ireland is 3,500 MW, average daily demand is about 3,300 MW and they plan at least another 500, but are likely to go another 1,000MW.

I was in the company of a few people who believe me on this but they say there is nothing that can be done to stop
it in Ireland. The money is pumped in from the EU and they are about to issue green bonds which the banks will be obliged to use to pay the capital costs of wind. The real question is whether the Irish Government can prevent wind companies going bankrupt or not. I am not sure, they will never admit they got it wrong. Its all part of the brave new world they are building.
All they have to do is jack up the carbon taxes to a level whereby the market price of conventional generation is consistently more than the minimum €80/MWhr that wind is guaranteed - hey presto profitable wind.
It's another rigged market - capitalism Irish style.

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
So as things stand.
If you are totally dispassionate about the wind farm concept.
Unless a radically improved means of energy storage is introduced rapidly.
It's a total waste of energy and resources.
Its like an old lawn mower, it either works or it does not work. The opinion of the user rarely has makes any difference.

I see that

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
There was something on the radio about Green coat renewables seeking investors. They are insolvent.

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
Its like an old lawn mower, it either works or it does not work. The opinion of the user rarely has makes any difference.

I see that
Ya that is kind of right. I have put a lot into finding out the price paid for wind. Its 69.7 Euros but there are extras. I checked the balance sheets of over 25 companies and P & L accounts where available and its close to 76 Euros per MWh

That is a floor price, if the price of fossil fuel goes above 76 Euros, the price of wind rises in line with that, So of fossil fuel rises to 547 Euros , the price of wind rises to 547 Euros.

&

OP
V

valamhic

PI Member
You are going to love this ................

If you check my videos No 17 series, I predicted Bord Na Mona would go belly up and I was right, It got a 32 million Euros bailout in the Budget. I now give the ESB 2 years maximum. They bought/Built a load of wind farms for big money when they had it. Now they have to write off the entire capital cost they paid. Meanwhile they are buying this Scottish junk from Eddie O'Connor. They will never
get a Euro of their money back from this. Two years

Top Bottom