• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Morgoth's Review Dune: A Reactionary Masterpiece

• Thread starter Star Rider
  • Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 1K

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Two very different films Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 with two very different leads.

Harrison Ford was the ideal Blade Runner of the original, hardened and cynical yet the possibility is that he may turn out to be the very thing he hunts.

In contrast Ryan Gosling had an innocence about him, engaged with a deep internal struggle that he may actually be the very thing he serves.

I thought it was a wonderful contrast of character between the two films.
Gosling is very good in BR 2049. He's a pretty boy etc. etc., but he's the best thing in that movie.

Ford's performance in BR '82 has received mixed criticism. I was watching a review of it on Red Letter Media recently and the two reviewers were absolutely merciless in ripping his performance apart. Worth looking it up.

I thought it was Ford's best role! His character is a very intriguing fellow. Jaded, dejected, cynical and waaaaay past it. He's no match for Nexus 6 replicants. Zora beats him into submission as does Pris who then inexplicably performs soubresauts and back flips whilst Deckard reaches for his gun???

Leon kicks lumps out of him. Fortunately, he's saved by Rachel.

Some Bladerunner eh? "I need ya Deck, I need your magic!" Yeh right! The guy's a joke!

In spite of all that, at the end when he's hanging for dear life from the steel girder, he spits in death's face - literally spitting at Batty. That moment redeemed him completely.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Like the town in BV, 'Lumberton' is your typical all-American town. Smiling neighbours, Firemen waving, man hosing the lawn.

Idyllic... but wait... the man hosing the lawn suddenly collapses clutching his chest, while the dog plays with the hose.

Lumberton appears sleepy and idyllic, but then we learn about the other hidden Lumberton. Psychopaths like Frank and weirdos like Ben and women being exploited.

The scenes where Jeffrey is hiding out in Dorothy's flat are spine-tingling. Hiding in the closet, trying not to get caught spying on her.
It looks like he's having a gigantic piss too. I wonder was Lynch....nah never mind. :)

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
Gosling is very good in BR 2049. He's a pretty boy etc. etc., but he's the best thing in that movie.

Ford's performance in BR '82 has received mixed criticism. I was watching a review of it on Red Letter Media recently and the two reviewers were absolutely merciless in ripping his performance apart. Worth looking it up.

I thought it was Ford's best role! His character is a very intriguing fellow. Jaded, dejected, cynical and waaaaay past it. He's no match for Nexus 6 replicants. Zora beats him into submission as does Pris who then inexplicably performs soubresauts and back flips whilst Deckard reaches for his gun???

Some Bladerunner eh? "I need ya Deck, I need your magic!" Yeh right! The guy's a joke!

In spite of all that, at the end when he's hanging for dear life from the steel girder, he spits in death's face - literally spitting at Batty. That moment redeemed him completely.
Ah you got me after a few drinks here.

The end of Blade Runner with Deckard clutching the girder while his nemesis watched is one of those profound moments in Western Civilization that if we survive will rank along Molly's soliloquy or Lear's descent into madness.

The hunter and hunted, the master and the slave, the human and non human all inverted that moment.

That fantastic improvised speech by Rutger Hauer , which showed how much more Human in the moment of death he was, than the millions of wage or religious slaves below, his four years of life which was richer than anything they could ever experience.

blue velvet

Donator

Fords best role by a mile. Hauer steals the show of course, but Ford was perfect as the cyber gumshoe.

I thought he physically handled himself well against the superhuman replicants.

Zhora was of course stronger than a human Male.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Ah you got me after a few drinks here.

The end of Blade Runner with Deckard clutching the girder while his nemesis watched is one of those profound moments in Western Civilization that if we survive will rank along Molly's soliloquy or Lear's descent into madness.

The hunter and hunted, the master and the slave, the human and non human all inverted that moment.

That fantastic improvised speech by Rutger Hauer , which showed how much more Human in the moment of death he was, than the millions of wage or religious slaves below, his four years of life which was richer than anything they could ever experience.

Have another!

(Great scene).

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Fords best role by a mile. Hauer steals the show of course, but Ford was perfect as the cyber gumshoe.

I thought he physically handled himself well against the superhuman replicants.

Zhora was of course stronger than a human Male.
She's an assassin, so you'd expect her to be lethal, but one would still expect a BR to be able to deal with her.

Deckard fails - miserably. He gets kicked around that movie from start to finish.

Has to drink cheap gin to steady his nerves.

Ford's excellent in it. Very unusual role for him and I wonder is he playing himself. He's supposed to be a bit of a dour geezer.

blue velvet

Donator
She's an assassin, so you'd expect her to be lethal, but one would still expect a BR to be able to deal with her.

Deckard fails - miserably. He gets kicked around that movie from start to finish.

Has to drink cheap gin to steady his nerves.

Ford's excellent in it. Very unusual role for him and I wonder is he playing himself. He's supposed to be a bit of a dour geezer.
He does get wrecked by the replicants, but he's a physically weaker human.

They are physically superior to humans and in Battys case, an intellectual as well

Original blade runner all the way, Rutger Hauer class, he was the film in the end, one of my all time favorites, I just never realised how boring that photo analysing scene was.

The new one ?, sorry, I found it wanting on many levels, it didn't just bore the fuck out of me, an hour too long, ford was awful, the evil guy was a spa, i find that leto lad insufferable. The head evil girl was ok, but the ending fight was a spa fest. The fight scene with the two lads in the hotel reminded me of another cripple fight, the end fight was little different as i said and none of it made sense regards the why or how, nor any of the stuff pushed, first half i had a lot of hope for it, second half of that film was garbage as far as im concerned, again original miles better.

Everyone to their own, first film by a mile or 50 as far as im concerned..

blue velvet

Donator
I must watch BR 2 again. I didn't think much of it first time.

Gosling is good. Hes in one of my favourites. Place beyond the Pines.

Pure quality movie with a score from Mike Patton.

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
Have another!

(Great scene).
Thanks I probably shouldn't but I loved The Thin Red Line by Terrence Malick, I loved the way he explored Nature and Human conflicts which can overlap and how the Natural World can seem to be a forgiving and a wrongly beguiling, begin place, even when claws turn red, in this scene, immediately after the two scouts are shot by the Japanese the whole landscape changes simply by the sun peeping out of the clouds, and makes the landscape unbelievably treacherously beautiful looking, even though its the most murderous zone on the plant atm, Nature is indifferent to Human suffering and that beauty is transcendence, dependent on the observer. And later there is a scene when the Japanese are laying down killing fire on the Americans, but, two young marines are engaged with a different struggle during this battle, one with an aggressive snake, so the Japanese are shooting them and this snake is attacking them, and you ask, what is your most immediate survival concern? I loved the fact the film dragged Humanity back to Nature.

I must watch BR 2 again. I didn't think much of it first time.

Gosling is good. Hes in one of my favourites. Place beyond the Pines.

Pure quality movie with a score from Mike Patton.
In comparison to the garbage that is out there now, I'm being very harsh, i just have an affinity with the original. At the same time it felt extremely long winded for no reason outside filler. Ford is a miserable git for the longest while now as an actor, too old hasn't the heart, and again was not the star of the original as far as im concerned, i do love his old stuff. Gosling was good, but i did not like where it ended with him regards the character, he did well with what he had to work with.

I did like the Place beyond the pines, will need to rewatch, Only god forgives i skipped through, I liked The Nice Guys as a general romp.

Top Bottom