Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Morgoth's Review Dune: A Reactionary Masterpiece

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
I don't think anyone else - even Kubrick - could come up with a concoction of oddballs like that. Yer wan, Lulu's mother is barking mad as well - Diane Ladd is brilliant in it actually.

Yeh, Grace Zabriskie is incredibly scary in Wild at Heart - even though it's a very minor role. The scene is just so fupped up.

Pure Lynch.

He occasionally receives criticism for being weird just for the sake of it, but I genuinely believe that not to be the case. I think there's a method to his bizarre story telling.
No one else in Hollywood would pack in so much gratuitous weirdness.

Remember the Freddie Jones squawking man character in Wild at Heart? You think he's going to strike up a conversation and then he emits this squawk.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
I watched blade runner 2049 on the plane at night returning from USA ...everyone was asleep except me :LOL:
The sets and cinematography are amazing, minimalist score is pretty good and what's his face is very good as the BR (that was the biggest surprise of the movie).

Aside from that it's very "meh". Harrison Ford is clearly in it just for the paycheck. The villain isn't particularly interesting and the twist is, well, I don't know - it's a bit "well big fvcking deal."

Its eminent predecessor has its flaws and its storyline is quite static, but it's a much more enjoyable movie. That's just my opinion. A few friends have told me how they always fall asleep watching it!

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
No one else in Hollywood would pack in so much gratuitous weirdness.

Remember the Freddie Jones squawking man character in Wild at Heart? You think he's going to strike up a conversation and then he emits this squawk.

Lol. Man, that scene is hillarious. I have absolutely no idea what it's about, but it is Gold!

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
What I like about Lynch is that he has such a talent for imagining bizarre and unnerving situations. Anyone thats ever met a particularly dull, unimaginative person may have occasionally got a smirk imagining them doing something completely unedifying or repulsive.

Like you think the Freddie Jones character is just going to be a pub bore, but he has this shocking, involuntary afflication where he emits high-pitched squawks.

Basically, Lynch appeals to our dark side.

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
He grew up in a very normal home - had an idyllic childhood.

I remember reading that about Lynch and he was joking that he wished his parents would fight and throw plates at each other just to liven things up.

I think he was always looking for something dark behind a bright and cheery surface.

An Fiach Ban

Donator
PI Member
The sets and cinematography are amazing, minimalist score is pretty good and what's his face is very good as the BR (that was the biggest surprise of the movie).

Aside from that it's very "meh". Harrison Ford is clearly in it just for the paycheck. The villain isn't particularly interesting and the twist is, well, I don't know - it's a bit "well big fvcking deal."

Its eminent predecessor has its flaws and its storyline is quite static, but it's a much more enjoyable movie. That's just my opinion. A few friends have told me how they always fall asleep watching it!
Two very different films Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049 with two very different leads.

Harrison Ford was the ideal Blade Runner of the original, hardened and cynical yet the possibility is that he may turn out to be the very thing he hunts.

In contrast Ryan Gosling had an innocence about him, engaged with a deep internal struggle that he may actually be the very thing he serves.

I thought it was a wonderful contrast of character between the two films.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
I remember reading that about Lynch and he was joking that he wished his parents would fight and throw plates at each other just to liven things up.

I think he was always looking for something dark behind a bright and cheery surface.
Yeh, defo. The drudgery and boredom of middle America actually influenced him!

Conall Gulban

PI Member
What about the new Twin Peaks, during the middle episodes with Dougie I admit I was struggling a bit but towards the end my mind was blown.

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Yeh, defo. The drudgery and boredom of middle America actually influenced him!
Like the town in BV, 'Lumberton' is your typical all-American town. Smiling neighbours, Firemen waving, man hosing the lawn.

Idyllic... but wait... the man hosing the lawn suddenly collapses clutching his chest, while the dog plays with the hose.

Lumberton appears sleepy and idyllic, but then we learn about the other hidden Lumberton. Psychopaths like Frank and weirdos like Ben and women being exploited.

The scenes where Jeffrey is hiding out in Dorothy's flat are spine-tingling. Hiding in the closet, trying not to get caught spying on her.

Top Bottom