Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Morgoth's Review Dune: A Reactionary Masterpiece

ShumanTheHuman

Donator
PI Member
Despite falling asleep the two times I attempted to watch Blade Runner 2049, still haven't made it too the end, I am looking forward to Villeneuve's Dune which appears to be closer to Herbert's vision than Lynch's - although I do have a soft spot for it's Industrial Goth aesthetic and the Toto/Eno soundtrack

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Lynch's version is worth watching simply because it's David Lynch. The production values and set design are remarkable, as distinct and unsettling as Jarman's Bosch like sets in The Devils.

Anyone recall the scene at the start involving the Guild Navigator and the Emperor? That set is amazing - I don't know what the term is, retro-modern or something, but it's like a set fell through a plothole from a Victorian Costume drama into the year 10,000. It's so incongruous with the movie's futuristic setting.Then there's the Guildsmen speaking a bizarre tongue via vintage 1940s microphones (and hoovering up leaking melange from the navigator's spice chamber).

I don't know what it is about Lynch, but his movies are strangely hypnotic.

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
I really like Lynch. He's made some incredible movies.

Blue Velvet ( from which I take my username ) was an absolutely ground-breaking movie. I think Lynch himself is obsessed with this theme. The murky underworld that exists under all-American small towns.

Wild at Heart is another favourite of mine. Lynch movies can be quite disjointed and he definitely throws in lots of gratuituous weirdness, which often has no relevance to the story. Like all that stuff with Mister Reindeer and 'Buffalo hunting' in WAH. And the bizarre interlude with 'Cousin Del'

Mulholland Drive also chock-full of weirdness. The 'Cowboy' character, whose role in the plot is never explained. And the mysterious, monstrous tramp who hides behind the diner.

Incredibly steamy lesbian sex scene with Naomi Watts and Laura Harring as well.

The Straight Story is very uncharacteristic of Lynch. An emotional story of an old man going to see his long lost brother.

I've never seen 'Dune', but its kind of a cult classic, especially on the alt-right.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Like "genius, the terms "maverick", "unique" and "influential" are thrown about like confetti these days, but there's very few movie directors who tick those boxes - Lynch is definitely one of them.

His movies are just so memorable. I can't make head nor tail of Blue Velvet. One critic called it The Hardy Boys on acid, and it may well be that, but it's so much more. How many references are there in that movie to The Wizard of Oz? Dorothy, Dorothy's red shoes? I'm sure there's more.

And what the fupp happens to the Yellow Man? Moreover, that stupid "well dressed man" disguise of Franks? Are we really expected to believe that it would fool anyone?

The ending should be hilarious - like a scene from an Ed Wood movie - but the incredible thing is that it's compelling viewing. First time I saw it, I was on the edge of my seat watching it - but when you look at it again, you think "this is so fvking weird - funny weird, but I'm still unsettled."

I really do not know how Lynch does it. He's an enigma.

"Detective Williams? Detective Williams, I'm hiding in Dorothy Valens APARTMENT. Frank is on his way up here in a well dressed man disguise. I've got no way out of here!".

Storybud2

PI Member
Just another Messiah story line project like Superman etc, it gave Patrick Stewart a big boost in his Sci Fi career and the latest Picard series
has some brilliant Borg Cube scenes,check it out if you are a Sci Fi fan,, a kick ass 7 of 9 and some awesome borg cube tech, the rest is so so ,

Dune was a great escapist movie in the 80s, a real WTF , desert adventure, the Worms, Spice, Guild , Family aristocracy Houses , etc, the rest is just a jumble of
usuals thrown together in a different scenario,

What stood the test of time is the "drone" assassins left to kill the Atreides by the Harkonnens scene, the poison drone dart drone, AI at its
terrifying best,, scary ,,

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Like "genius, the terms "maverick", "unique" and "influential" are thrown about like confetti these days, but there's very few movie directors who tick those boxes - Lynch is definitely one of them.

His movies are just so memorable. I can't make head nor tail of Blue Velvet. One critic called it The Hardy Boys on acid, and it may well be that, but it's so much more. How many references are there in that movie to The Wizard of Oz? Dorothy, Dorothy's red shoes? I'm sure there's more.

And what the fupp happens to the Yellow Man? Moreover, that stupid "well dressed man" disguise of Franks? Are we really expected to believe that it would fool anyone?

The ending should be hilarious - like a scene from an Ed Wood movie - but the incredible thing is that it's compelling viewing. First time I saw it, I was on the edge of my seat watching it - but when you look at it again, you think "this is so fvking weird - funny weird, but I'm still unsettled."

I really do not know how Lynch does it. He's an enigma.

"Detective Williams? Detective Williams, I'm hiding in Dorothy Valens APARTMENT. Frank is on his way up here in a well dressed man disguise. I've got no way out of here!".

Frank Booth is just such a brilliant character. Maybe Hoppers best role?

The lines are just brilliant:

'Fuck Heineken. Pabst Blue Ribbon.Thats the one!'

Or in response to an underlying asking him if he wanted him to open a beer:

'No,I want you to fuck it!'

I love the Dean Stockwell character in BV. Ben, with his Orbison cabaret routine.

Last edited:

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Frank and the gang arrive at Bens. Includes the famous Orbison miming scene.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Probably discussed this before on the other place. I always felt that whilst Frank was an extremely dangerous fellow, Ben was much more dangerous. There's something very jarring about his character (and the fat geezer and wamen hanging out with him).

blue velvet

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Probably discussed this before on the other place. I always felt that whilst Frank was an extremely dangerous fellow, Ben was much more dangerous. There's something very jarring about his character (and the fat geezer and wamen hanging out with him).
Dean Stockwell has never been more creepy and weird. This was a famous former child star who disappeared from the limelight a bit, so this was a very strange role for him to be in.

Stockwell appeared in quite a lot of medicore '80s and '90s TV as well, like Quantum Leap.

Top Bottom