Dublin's crappiest pubs

page61

PI Member
The Irish pub was famous for its craic and banter and was a model which was emulated and copied around the world.
You would be right at home if you went in to read the paper and have a pint or if you fancied a bit of conversation or an atmospheric crowd .
The rising prices and the success of temple bar as a tourist destination has seen a large cull in the Irish pub with the model moving towards a tourist trap with exorbitant prices or a generic soulless european type pub serving food and run by foreign students who can barely communicate due to language differences while shit piped music plays in the background.

I used to enjoy popping into the Turks head when i was in the area and you would nearly always find a seat in one of its nooks ,even on a busy Saturday night.
I went itno it about a month ago and it was shockingly different than it had been . I do not think they have herd of atmosphere , the pint was crap, the staff were up their own ar%£ Then i seen a post on FB where a guy was told that his bill for two pints was €21 , when he complained ,apparently the person behind the bar done the "i speak no good english " line

What pub did you once love that has now gone to the dogs due to modern times?

D

Deleted member 2946

Non Registered Member
I don't know. Is "The Ferryman" any good? What about that one with the Victoriana?

whyfillaw

PI Member
The Irish pub was famous for its craic and banter and was a model which was emulated and copied around the world.
You would be right at home if you went in to read the paper and have a pint or if you fancied a bit of conversation or an atmospheric crowd .
The rising prices and the success of temple bar as a tourist destination has seen a large cull in the Irish pub with the model moving towards a tourist trap with exorbitant prices or a generic soulless european type pub serving food and run by foreign students who can barely communicate due to language differences while shit piped music plays in the background.

I used to enjoy popping into the Turks head when i was in the area and you would nearly always find a seat in one of its nooks ,even on a busy Saturday night.
I went itno it about a month ago and it was shockingly different than it had been . I do not think they have herd of atmosphere , the pint was crap, the staff were up their own ar%£ Then i seen a post on FB where a guy was told that his bill for two pints was €21 , when he complained ,apparently the person behind the bar done the "i speak no good english " line

What pub did you once love that has now gone to the dogs due to modern times?
by law the premises are supposed to display the prices they charge or one may ask the staff before buying a drink.It is good to find out b4 the drink(s) are served and if the prices are rip-off just turn your back and walk straight out the door to another pub.I would have no hesitation doing it and the more potential customers do that the penny will eventually drop when the "fall off in business" will alert management that they are doing something wrong.The banks will not be so slow in telling them about their loan repayments if they fall behind on the loans.

Willow

PI Member
The old Norseman was absolutely brilliant - ruined by modernisation now whatever it 's called.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Pubs have improved in Dublin generally speaking.
The OP is complaining about pub restaurants which are a different matter.
I would support some of his views concerning pub -restaurants because the food in these places rarely equals the standards found in actual restaurants.
If you want to drink well go to a pub.
If you want to eat well go to a restaurant.
There are plenty of quality such establishments in Dublin.

The pub restaurant combination in my experience rarely works well with some exceptions, the Goat in Dundrum for example where they used to do a fairly decent Sunday lunch.

I think the reason pub restaurants don’t work well is the obvious conflict between drinking a lot usually in the later hours of the evening and eating.
Few people want to be eating late in the evening.
The staffing levels required to run a pub restaurant are very high and part of the issue is that most of these people are not properly trained as proper barman and cook training takes a lot of time.

PO'Neill

PI Member
I would support some of his views concerning pub -restaurants because the food in these places rarely equals the standards found in actual restaurants.

The pub restaurant combination in my experience rarely works well with some exceptions, the Goat in Dundrum for example where they used to do a fairly decent Sunday lunch.

I think the reason pub restaurants don’t work well is the obvious conflict between drinking a lot usually in the later hours of the evening and eating.
The staffing levels required to run a pub restaurant are very high and part of the issue is that most of these people are not properly trained as proper barman and cook training takes a lot of time.
Agreed. Pub grub was traditional a cheap and cheerful option. That is gone.

El Chaval.

PI Member
I remember seeing a nice Italian family in one of these so called pub restaurants.
Obviously on holiday, you could see they made an effort to go out. Well dressed, well groomed. They were reading the menu when some Johnny Foreigner waiter asked them to leave as kids were not allowed to enter after a certain time. It was Summer and it was still bright outside. They were pointed towards a fish and chip joint across the street.
Seriously, who comes up with these ideas.
I was embarrassed to be Irish.

Ted

PI Member
The D2 on Harcourt St. does great meals that are probably the best value in the entire country.

page61

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think pubs have dis-improved dramatically over this past 10 years. certinly city center pubs. Dont get me wrong there are still some great pubs out there such as the long hall ,the Pub restraunt is more of an economic necessity but presides fried food they offer very little and are usually rip offs compared to the quality and standards of our continental friends

page61

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The D2 on Harcourt St. does great meals that are probably the best value in the entire country.
I must check it out..

On the food only side of things I was in the powerscourt center recently..nice food in the center bit , would go back

Top Bottom