Dublin doesn't feel the same anymore

DrPat2

PI Member
Ladyboyne, on a more serious note., you do know that some of the most enthusiastic speakers of Gaelic are good Prods who are also proud of their British identity. If you don't believe me check out the work Linda Irvine on the Shankill Road and on YouTube the lovely chanting of prayers at the Back Free Church on the Isle of Lewis. Have a listen to Julie Fowlis sing on youtube under the title 'Gaelic Song' or 'my love is on the the high seas/Aird' chuain' where she sings to her baby. I defy you not to be moved.

Also the saving of Gaelic on the Island of Ireland in the late 19th and 20th century was due in large part to Protestants such as Douglas Hyde.

So Gaelic isn't just for us Irish 'morons' you know. It belongs to everyone on this island and in Scotland too.

Last edited:

DS86DS

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does anybody else hate the Dublin Docklands? Unlike the traditional City Centre, it feels so barren, lifeless, corporate and soulless?

I've walked down the quays many times, and it feels like one is walking into another city.

@graceland.com

Donator
PI Member
Does anybody else hate the Dublin Docklands? Unlike the traditional City Centre, it feels so barren, lifeless, corporate and soulless?

I've walked down the quays many times, and it feels like one is walking into another city.
I worked in the square mile in London in many buildings doing them up.
It was buzzing during the day with people walking last each other not talking.
Then in the evening it was desolate not a soul to be seen, Dublin docllands s just the same, the only thing the people have in common there is they are there for.money, that's it.
Globalism in action,little.units of.labour all competing against each other for the man.

Last edited:
I worked in the square mile in London in many buildings doing them up.
It was buzzing during the day with people walking last each other not talking.
Then in the evening it was desolate not a soul to be seen, Dublin docllands s just the same, the only thing the people have in common there is they are there for.money, that's it.
Globalism in action,little.units of.labour all competing against each other for the man.
2 hellholes. I bet the London place has more irish people per capita than the neighbourhood on the Liffey ?

Thelasthurrah

PI Member
I met an Aussie tourist on the ferry from Holyhead. She made an audible "Ooooooh dear" as we went from Dublin Port to Bus Eireann at 6ish in the morning.
I advised her not to stay in Dublin and she didnt.
In fairness, Hell would be an improvement on Holyhead.

blue velvet

Staff member
PI Member
Where were you when you heard the Shaw was closing.

Top Bottom