Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Self Moderated Dublin doesn't feel the same anymore

DS86DS

Staff member
Donator
PI Member
Premium
Does anybody else get this vibe whenever they are in Dublin City Centre, particularly the commercial section stretching from Parnell Square to St. Stephen's Green? It just doesn't feel like the same city anymore, certainly not the city it was 20 years ago.

Go down to the Docklands and it's one corporate glass box after another, the whole area just feels soulless. Add to that the astronomical price of apartments there will ensure native Dubliners and Irish people won't be living there, rather foreign "professionals" working for the likes of JP Morgan.

The area of Grafton Street and the streets around it are beyond obnoxious. Sulky and angry looking spoilt brat females (from a comfortable South Dublin background no doubt)........with bags from luxury stores covering their arms. You'd almost want to tell them what the fuck their problem is given that they are by all accounts spoiled brats who have everything in the world.

Bar the likes of Thomas Street, Meath Street and portions of Capel Street......it is the same bland crappy shops, all with modernist interiors and each trying to out-yuppie the other. And the prices for some basic things is a disgrace.

Note, I did not include Moore Street because it's not an Irish street anymore.

It just doesn't feel like the close knit city full of bargain shops and colourful characters that it once did. Rather it feels like one big yuppie circus full of rude and self absorbed arseholes with their glitzy looking shopping bags on their arms.

Dublin has lost it's soul without a doubt. It's now just a big commercial corporate circus for yuppies and hipsters.

P

Piposter

Non Registered Member
Does everybody else get this vibe whenever they are in Dublin City Centre, particularly the commercial section stretching from Parnell Square to St. Stephen's Green? It just doesn't feel like the same city anymore, certainly not the city it was 20 years ago.

Go down to the Docklands and it's one corporate glass box after another, the whole area just feels soulless. Add to that the astronomical price of apartments there will ensure native Dubliners and Irish people won't be living there, rather foreign "professionals" working for the likes of JP Morgan.

The area of Grafton Street and the streets around it are beyond obnoxious. Sulky and angry looking spoilt brat females (from a comfortable South Dublin background no doubt)........with bags from luxury stores covering their arms. You'd almost want to tell them what the fuck their problem is given that they are by all accounts spoiled brats who have everything in the world.

Bar the likes of Thomas Street, Meath Street and portions of Capel Street......it is the same bland crappy shops, all with modernist interiors and each trying to out-yuppy the other. And the prices for some basic things is a disgrace.

It just doesn't feel like the close knit city full of bargain shops and colourful characters that it once did. Rather it feels like one big Yuppy circus full of rude and self absorbed arseholes with their glitzy looking shopping bags on their arms.

Dublin has lost it's soul without a doubt. It's now just a big commercial corporate circus for yuppies and hipsters.
The natives will be shifted out to the suburbs where they will no longer be Irish but white people. This is what happened in America. You've probably seen this - but if you haven''t you will be impressed.

Ted

PI Member
Does anybody else get this vibe whenever they are in Dublin City Centre, particularly the commercial section stretching from Parnell Square to St. Stephen's Green? It just doesn't feel like the same city anymore, certainly not the city it was 20 years ago.

Bar the likes of Thomas Street, Meath Street and portions of Capel Street......it is the same bland crappy shops, all with modernist interiors and each trying to out-yuppie the other. And the prices for some basic things is a disgrace.

It just doesn't feel like the close knit city full of bargain shops and colourful characters that it once did. Rather it feels like one big yuppie circus full of rude and self absorbed arseholes with their glitzy looking shopping bags on their arms.

Your description sounds uncannily like descriptions of London circa 1990.

BrightFuture

PI Member
When was it ever anything other then a shithole. Its a depressing nightmare scape that makes no sense. Its one of the few cities I've lived in where you can feel claustrophobia when you are OUTSIDE.

TheWexfordInn

Donator
PI Member
Its going to hammer tourism sooner or later.

Anecdotally my experiences over the decades has been that the reaction to me saying to some Brit that Im from Dublin would result in some comment back about what a great time he or her had on a trip to Dublin.

Those comments dried up a number of years ago and the last two comments Ive received, (the last one just a few weeks ago) have been about how bland and unappealing Dublin is.

I was in town on Saturday.. and it's just sad. You walk down Henry Street and it's gone, it is.

All these people that love the different "skin colors" and the different languages (and different accents speaking English) well.. it's your town now, no one's town.

El Chaval.

PI Member
Its going to hammer tourism sooner or later.

Anecdotally my experiences over the decades has been that the reaction to me saying to some Brit that Im from Dublin would result in some comment back about what a great time he or her had on a trip to Dublin.

Those comments dried up a number of years ago and the last two comments Ive received, (the last one just a few weeks ago) have been about how bland and unappealing Dublin is.
I met an Aussie tourist on the ferry from Holyhead. She made an audible "Ooooooh dear" as we went from Dublin Port to Bus Eireann at 6ish in the morning.
I advised her not to stay in Dublin and she didnt.

TW Tone

PI Member
When was it ever anything other then a shithole. Its a depressing nightmare scape that makes no sense. Its one of the few cities I've lived in where you can feel claustrophobia when you are OUTSIDE.

You show your ignorance. Dublin, for most of us Dubliners, was a pleasant place to live.
Even the migrants from the countryside, who often spoke disrespectfully about the city that was giving them a livelihood and a home, took care not to leave Dublin for longer than a weekend.
You sound like a real loser.

P

Piposter

Non Registered Member
I met an Aussie tourist on the ferry from Holyhead. She made an audible "Ooooooh dear" as we went from Dublin Port to Bus Eireann at 6ish in the morning.
I advised her not to stay in Dublin and she didnt.
I know exactly what you're saying. And then you go to the jacks in Busarus and its like Long Kest dirty protest. I couldn't believe the state of the place when I came back from London early one morning. I had to wait a while for a bus to the west so I went for a walk . I had spent two days in a beautiful part of London. Dublin was so ugly that morning I will never forget it. I happened to come across the Dept. of Health HQ. I didn't know what it was initially. I just saw a sick looking building - that is the word that came to my mind - sick! Then I saw the sign for the Dept of Health!!

Dublin, which is tiny compared to London should be GLEAMING. It should be an absolutley beautiful city. It is so sad what has happened Ireland in the last 20-30 years. Tragic.

TW Tone

PI Member
One of the most disagreeable aspects as I grew.up in the Dublin of the 1970s, was that all authority figures were from other places. Teachers, priests, cops etc etc -- not one of these in my boyhood was a fellow Dub.
Worse, some of the culchies who were in a position of authority over Dubliners in our own city even sneered at us.

Much if not all of the architectural damage to Dublin was done by people who were not Dubliners.
There was even.a suggestion at one point that the canals be filled in and motorways built so that the country crowd could rush home on weekends.

Last edited:
Top Bottom