Does contemporary "Liberal" Southern Irish Anti-Catholicism have it's roots in Conor "Cruise" O'Brien's response to the Troubles?

McTell

PI Member
He also has the Novo-Provo hatred of everything Catholic and traditional Irish.
I don't hate anything.

Hate is a very juvenile response and weakens the hater. If I see different angles often people say "you can't say that" because they are thinking on one set of rails. Blinkered. I feel sorry for them but never hate them.

You can see areas where the church went wrong and is apologising. No debate there.

You can see areas of our trad culture that are changing, as they have in the past. Like using a computer.

McTell

PI Member
Wrong again, McTell.
I can't keep correcting you.

The Provisonal IRA never received any support from the Soviet Union.

You really need to read more.

All their semtex came from the czechs. And as we know, czechia was invaded by the soviets in 1968 and they kept very close control until the velvet revolution in 1989-90. That's all beyond dispute.

Plus the overlaps between the DDR and ETA / Red Brigades / PLO / IRA / Ghaddafy, all very well understood now.

SwordOfStCatherine

PI Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would say very little.

The abuse of adolescent boys by homosexual catholic clergy and subsequent cover up has fueled Southern anti Catholicism to a far greater degree than anything from the Irish Labour Party.
I am not sure that buy this at all, though I know a lot of these people will claim that is the case, in a large part because nearly all of these people are supporters of extreme homosexualist ideology. Secondly they do not seem to have a similar reaction when it comes to the BBC. Than there is the fact that there have been far clerical sexual abuse scandals within Orthodox Judaism and yet Orthodox Judaism continues to recruit more and more Jews into it and loses increasingly few believers. Than while some people have become Shia as opposed to Sunni in reaction to the rape gangs scandal and ISIL, becoming Shia though is not that big a leap- if these people had become Eastern Orthodox Christians I could accept that they were being sincere however this is not exactly what we are talking about here. Even if they had become Presbyterian I could accept them as being sincere. No I do not think that the scandals of out of control homosexuals wearing roman collars is at the root of the burning anti-Catholic hatred of a Fire2Rain or Mitsui2.

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I don't hate anything.

Hate is a very juvenile response and weakens the hater. If I see different angles often people say "you can't say that" because they are thinking on one set of rails. Blinkered. I feel sorry for them but never hate them.

You can see areas where the church went wrong and is apologising. No debate there.

You can see areas of our trad culture that are changing, as they have in the past. Like using a computer.

Do you support the anti-Irish traitor gang Shame Féin?

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
PI Member
I think many of the Dublin middle-class have had a deep and burning shame about Ireland for a long time.

When the divorce referendum of 1986 was defeated, a Dublin woman screamed in an anguished voice, "The Irish people have disgraced themselves again".

They have a desperate desire to be accepted into the Anglo-Saxon world.

Anglophile

PI Member
The truly great Cruiser exposed and wiped the floor with all the sectarian Catholic
( whether academic or not ) apologists for the Provo murdering scumbags. :)

The 'roots', as you all well know, are the child abuse scandals, gay agenda liberals,
left wing atheists and pro abortion feminists...... :rolleyes:

Karloff

PI Member
I think many of the Dublin middle-class have had a deep and burning shame about Ireland for a long time.

When the divorce referendum of 1986 was defeated, a Dublin woman screamed in an anguished voice, "The Irish people have disgraced themselves again".
That scene where the Irish see these issues like marks on a scorecard for a test we have to pass being judged from outside the country (UK, EU and US seem to be the shifting 'graders') is a recurring theme among Irish Liberals alright. Sally Field's acceptance speech. When i was growing up in the 80s i would get confused because we were a nationalist sympathising familly - yet you opened a paper down here and all they ever spoke about was how bad the IRA were, with some Republican relatives i knew about the other side.

I think one of the things that scared and irritated the Southern Elites was the sympathies of Irish America - many of which lay with the Republican movement.

Top Bottom