Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Do you think any Irish Politicians have an interest in Political Theory?

TommyTayto

PI Member
Like the river rat? Or his junkie son?

A degree is only worth something if you get it by your early 20s anyway.
Plus if you're murdering scum it ain't much use to you.
What have you a degree in yourself ? When and what uni did you attend ?

Whilst in prison Hutchinson took a degree in social sciences and a diploma in town planning.[4]
ONE loyalist did a degree and according to wiki, we all know how reliable wiki is !!

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
To say that adams did not put his mind to work is very off the mark , he plays his cards close to his chest .
Considering that the pathway that SF went down was imagined in the 70s and Adams has not got the luxury of having a filing system ,I would imagine that his mind is very much developed.

Regarding his book , if its cage 11, remeber he wrote this in prison and it was smuggled out and serialised in an Phoblocht , Yes it was written in ordinary mans language.

You have to remember , using big words does not automatically mean your an intellect. why use 50 when one would suffice.
Oh Adams is an extremely shrewd man- I was not denying that. However intensely sharp shrewdness and having a worked out ideological approach to the world are two different things.

Wolf

Donator
PI Member
Gerrry Adams is a scumbag who protected his peado brother.

That tells you all you need to know about him.
He also gave evidence against him when it eventually went to trial.
So it doesn't 'tell you all you need to know about him'.

Tadhg Gaelach

Staff member
Donator
Premium
PI Member
Well maybe I am sure some of the Trots do but Trotskyism, which I do not consider Marxist, the more you learn about it the more daft and/or obvious trolling it becomes, in fact I would wonder about any mature person who takes it seriously. I suspect that they don't. When I was sixteen I read my first book by Gerry Adams and was gravely disappointed, I was expecting a combination of blood curdling revolutionary rhetoric Maoist style combined with complex analysis, and of course I got neither, what I got instead was basic platitudes which were to my eye often rather silly. I presumed at the time that obviously the book was meant for a Yank and English audience and that was why it was so devoid of meaty intellectual content. Now Gerry Adams is a very smart man there is no denying but he obviously never developed his intellect and this is a huge problem because as I observed very early in life if you do not do your own thinking someone else will do your thinking for, Adams not seriously putting his mind to work is the reason why the Shinners are in the mess they are in now. Ireland as a whole seems to have allowed England to imprint it's tradition of "common sense" anti-intellectualism (there are both Right and Left wing versions of this).

Basically no, but the problem goes far beyond those gobshites in Leinster House. Anglophone culture hates intellect. To call someone an intellectual in the English language is an insult.

IrishJohn

PI Member
He also gave evidence against him when it eventually went to trial.
So it doesn't 'tell you all you need to know about him'.
He only gave evidence against him when he was forced to in order to protect his own reputation.

Adams knew his brother was a peado but let him work with kids.

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Basically no, but the problem goes far beyond those gobshites in Leinster House. Anglophone culture hates intellect. To call someone an intellectual in the English language is an insult.
I would not go that far however as I said there is indeed a stubborn tradition in the Anglo world of anti-intellectualism. The reason I focused on the Shinners was because you would think they more than anybody would be opposed to this being imprinted on the Irish, but alas it has not been so though in all justice whatever you might think of him Ruairi O Bradaigh did have an thought out ideological world view, I think Adams and McGuinness appealed to "common sense" anti-intellectualism in some ways to unseat him.

Wolf

Donator
PI Member
He only gave evidence against him when he was forced to in order to protect his own reputation.

Adams knew his brother was a peado but let him work with kids.
Indeed.
The whole sorry saga is a bit more complicated than that though.
Aine Adams went to the RUC years before anything was done, Gerry Adams told her to press charges.
Unfortunately the RUC weren't interested in what they seen an another 'dirty taig' and instead wanted information on Gerry Adams whereabouts and movements.
There's no excuse for moving paedo scum around, however it does seem to have been a feature of Irish life for decades, from politicians, police, priests, senior civil servants etc etc

In any case, this is going well off topic now..

Colonel Zachariah

PI Member
Politicians have one overarching goal, to get reelected, simples...

Top Bottom