Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in

Do you think any Irish Politicians have an interest in Political Theory?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Well maybe I am sure some of the Trots do but Trotskyism, which I do not consider Marxist, the more you learn about it the more daft and/or obvious trolling it becomes, in fact I would wonder about any mature person who takes it seriously. I suspect that they don't. When I was sixteen I read my first book by Gerry Adams and was gravely disappointed, I was expecting a combination of blood curdling revolutionary rhetoric Maoist style combined with complex analysis, and of course I got neither, what I got instead was basic platitudes which were to my eye often rather silly. I presumed at the time that obviously the book was meant for a Yank and English audience and that was why it was so devoid of meaty intellectual content. Now Gerry Adams is a very smart man there is no denying but he obviously never developed his intellect and this is a huge problem because as I observed very early in life if you do not do your own thinking someone else will do your thinking for, Adams not seriously putting his mind to work is the reason why the Shinners are in the mess they are in now. Ireland as a whole seems to have allowed England to imprint it's tradition of "common sense" anti-intellectualism (there are both Right and Left wing versions of this).

G

gaelstree

Non Registered Member
Well maybe I am sure some of the Trots do but Trotskyism, which I do not consider Marxist, the more you learn about it the more daft and/or obvious trolling it becomes, in fact I would wonder about any mature person who takes it seriously. I suspect that they don't. When I was sixteen I read my first book by Gerry Adams and was gravely disappointed, I was expecting a combination of blood curdling revolutionary rhetoric Maoist style combined with complex analysis, and of course I got neither, what I got instead was basic platitudes which were to my eye often rather silly. I presumed at the time that obviously the book was meant for a Yank and English audience and that was why it was so devoid of meaty intellectual content. Now Gerry Adams is a very smart man there is no denying but he obviously never developed his intellect and this is a huge problem because as I observed very early in life if you do not do your own thinking someone else will do your thinking for, Adams not seriously putting his mind to work is the reason why the Shinners are in the mess they are in now. Ireland as a whole seems to have allowed England to imprint it's tradition of "common sense" anti-intellectualism (there are both Right and Left wing versions of this).
They are mostly lazy sociopaths in it for the money and status. No morals, or principles unfortunately.

OP
SwordOfStCatherine

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
Certainly British ones don't bother with theory as they throw unionism under the bus 😆 😆
Some Nordie Republicans love to boast about being intellectually more ideologically sophisticated than Ulster Loyalism however that is hardly something to be proud of because of just how easy it is to do.

Last edited:

TommyTayto

PI Member
Some Nordie Republicans love to boast about being intellectually more ideologically sophisticated than Ulster Loyalism however that is hardly something to be proud of because of just easy it is to do.
As the saying goes, when the Provos went to prison they got Open University degrees, when the loyalists went to prison they got tattoos.

page61

PI Member
To say that adams did not put his mind to work is very off the mark , he plays his cards close to his chest .
Considering that the pathway that SF went down was imagined in the 70s and Adams has not got the luxury of having a filing system ,I would imagine that his mind is very much developed.

Regarding his book , if its cage 11, remeber he wrote this in prison and it was smuggled out and serialised in an Phoblocht , Yes it was written in ordinary mans language.

You have to remember , using big words does not automatically mean your an intellect. why use 50 when one would suffice.

PO'Neill

PI Member
As the saying goes, when the Provos went to prison they got Open University degrees, when the loyalists went to prison they got tattoos.
Like the river rat? Or his junkie son?

A degree is only worth something if you get it by your early 20s anyway.
Plus if you're murdering scum it ain't much use to you.

Whilst in prison Hutchinson took a degree in social sciences and a diploma in town planning.[4]

PO'Neill

PI Member
You can't have one if you don't have control over immigration,trade and your own currency.

Eg if you believe in free trade you can only do it with whoever the Germans let you.

If you believe in protectionism like SF,PBP, etc ( they oppose free trade with Japan) it's impossible for an Irish government alone to end a trade deal.

Top Bottom