Do you believe in God?

Finished Symphony

PI Member
Quantum said:
Lets get a good discussion on God going.

I for one believe in a being thats hold the universe together, that makes the rules and guides on a path. I believe that when we die our energy/soul transfers from this place to a different plain of existence where we can see our loved ones who made the journey before us.

I do not believe that a all powerful being sits on a cloud playing a harp.

What do you beleive?
Why,  because it just feels good? Where did this being originate from? What if you never had any loved ones to begin with? This will be the trend going from now on especially in post-Christian countries or anywhere else that has put religion to one side. Everything is all woo and mysterious. "We just don't know what's out there". Yes huge planets etc.  Chances are with the universe-space being so vast- human contact with aliens is unlikely. Humanity will probably be long gone before that could ever happen. Why the need to paint the universe in such glowing terms? There's nothing really out there. Lifeless planets and rocks. Let's not worship the universe.

seabhcan

PI Member
Quantum said:
Care to expand and explain why?

Maybe I can persuade you differently?
I've been a professional scientist for 20 years. The null hypothesis is the default. I would need considerable scientific evidence to persuade me otherwise. Show me proof of god in the six sigma range and I will change my mind.

TheKing

King of Fine Gael
Donator
PI Member
seabhcan said:
I've been a professional scientist for 20 years. The null hypothesis is the default. I would need considerable scientific evidence to persuade me otherwise. Show me proof of god in the six sigma range and I will change my mind.
I know nothing of your Six Sigma but isnt [font=Roboto-Regular, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif] the [/font][font=Roboto-Regular, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Fibonacci sequence proof of inteligent design?[/font]

seabhcan

PI Member
The King said:
I know nothing of your Six Sigma but isnt [font=Roboto-Regular, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif] the [/font][font=Roboto-Regular, HelveticaNeue, Arial, sans-serif]Fibonacci sequence proof of inteligent design?[/font]
No more than Pi. Our understanding of this pattern is evidence of our intelligence though. Fibonacci, Pi, maths itself, are models we create to understand the universe which is inanimate. Our most ancient model, which is hard wired in to our brains though evolution, is Anthropomorphism. But its a model which fails the test of science. 

Its why humans are naturally inclined to assume there is a god. But it can be unlearned with effort and education.

Zozimus

PI Member
"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" ☺

Top Bottom