Do you believe in a God, if not why not?

gerhard dengler

PI Member
And where does the logic of Aquinas's proofs rely on the centrality of Earth within the universe, or of it being flat?

Sound logic is not invalidated by time.

I've conducted discussions with enough lazy Atheists to know their stance is predicated on the assumed delusionality of the other person's reasoning. It deafens the lazy Atheist to the logical argument. They can also deny the possibility of their own, intellectual, delusions. They can also, ironically, stop themselves from lines of questioning.

A few - a very few - Atheists I know are genuinely in pursuit of Truth sufficient to be intellectually honest to pursue and rigorously evaluate any line of reasoning in the search for what is true.

Those Atheists are always worth conversing with.
Interesting post, Eir.

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
The thing is.. Atheism does not fear theologians ..
So why is Dawkins afraid to debate William Lane Craig?

Aquinas and co were around a long long time ago. im sure there is good things to be learned from them but they lived in a time when beliefs were that the earth was the center of the universe and was flat.

So? The Ancient Greeks who believed in Gods, Goddesses et al developed and refined mathematical abstraction.

Are you saying that people who hold beliefs in the supernatural are incapable of thinking rationally?

I think most if not all athiests arrrive at the point they are at because they have asked questions and not been afraid if the answers did not fit .
Theists do the same thing, surely?

Adam Jensen

PI Member
Depends how you define God.

My conception of God is the universe in it's totality, with consciousness being its primary substance.
Mad to think about. The earth may be like a gain of sand in the Sahara desert. Just one big eternal black void. Kind of puts the issues of humans into perspective. What mindfuckery.

page61

PI Member

So? The Ancient Greeks who believed in Gods, Goddesses et al developed and refined mathematical abstraction.

Are you saying that people who hold beliefs in the supernatural are incapable of thinking rationally?

Theists do the same thing, surely?

Do you know either of them..you are assuming a lot to say A is afraid of b ... it sounds a bit of a weak argument.
I however do not know either of them and I have never heard of Craig ..In my reference above i was talking about ordinary people .the person I was referencing was myself and atheists I know ..My point is..why would we be afraid of debate..we would have a lack of interest if anything. remember if you do not believe in something IE, the tooth fairy, you are not going to do lots of research.
Your implying some fantasy world where dawkins and craig throw holy water and brimstone at each other and maybe god peaks out from behind a cloud and declares Craig the winner..

Are you saying that people who hold beliefs in the supernatural are incapable of thinking rationally

If by supernatural you mean conspiracies ,aliens etc ..I think they are childish
If you mean God etc..I think they are fearful .If they admitted that they were skeptical ,there is something that has been indoctrinated into them to counteract that...IE.. is the devil tempting you or some other bull.
A lot of religious people are damaged in someway, either socially inept or mentally weak or have been scarred some way ..they go with the flock, majority rules, they feel safe. they are wasting valuable life time , they believe they are going somewhere when they die.. How many people do you know that are reincarnated etc or have reached out to you personally from beyond...None

When you see some of the modern fanatics and observe their communications, they are very very aggressive .

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account

Do you know either of them..you are assuming a lot to say A is afraid of b ... it sounds a bit of a weak argument.
I however do not know either of them and I have never heard of Craig ..In my reference above i was talking about ordinary people .the person I was referencing was myself and atheists I know ..My point is..why would we be afraid of debate..we would have a lack of interest if anything. remember if you do not believe in something IE, the tooth fairy, you are not going to do lots of research.
Your implying some fantasy world where dawkins and craig throw holy water and brimstone at each other and maybe god peaks out from behind a cloud and declares Craig the winner..

Are you saying that people who hold beliefs in the supernatural are incapable of thinking rationally

If by supernatural you mean conspiracies ,aliens etc ..I think they are childish
If you mean God etc..I think they are fearful .If they admitted that they were skeptical ,there is something that has been indoctrinated into them to counteract that...IE.. is the devil tempting you or some other bull.
A lot of religious people are damaged in someway, either socially inept or mentally weak or have been scarred some way ..they go with the flock, majority rules, they feel safe. they are wasting valuable life time , they believe they are going somewhere when they die.. How many people do you know that are reincarnated etc or have reached out to you personally from beyond...None

When you see some of the modern fanatics and observe their communications, they are very very aggressive .
drcraigvideos

page61

PI Member
drcraigvideos

He would bore the paint off the wall..He is intellectualizing the argument probably and possibly so he will sell his books and keep the loons thinking he is clever . Why not keep it simple Dawkins is as bad. . Seriously he should be take out and ....taken out .If there was a god , he would be so far removed from your man above..
Are you sure he is not the devil in disguise...

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member
Premium Account
He would bore the paint off the wall..He is intellectualizing the argument probably and possibly so he will sell his books and keep the loons thinking he is clever . Why not keep it simple Dawkins is as bad. . Seriously he should be take out and ....taken out .If there was a god , he would be so far removed from your man above..
i will watch so
this is what its like when satan takes over.. have you experienced any of this?

Top Bottom