Do you believe in a God, if not why not?

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Its a very grey area and one I can only speculate science may give us the answer to in the future. Matter appears to not self create but science is still playing catch up.
Then again one of the laws of physics states that Energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be changed from one for to another. Energy and your god have a lot in common..
Energy is a “thing”
It is a “something”.
Whether we understand it or not does not matter.
What matters is that it exists.

So what made it exist?
Had it no beginning?
The Big Bang theory says it had.

Anyway the whole thing is moot when you ask the question why does anything exist when it might as well not have existed.?
Something brought existence into being.
That something is what religions call “God”.

James Dawson

PI Member
People who believe in God are no different in that holding such beliefs does not answer all of life’s questions.
Many of these questions of course challenge religious belief eg evolution.

But the nature and logic of reality itself demonstrates that matter is not self creating .
The simple answer at the fundamental level is that something made it.

And that something did not self create but always existed.
And from this.. you're convinced there's a hell?
do you believe the Dalai Lama is christian?
Obviously not

Eirwatcher

PI Member
The thing is.. Atheism does not fear theologians ..

Aquinas and co were around a long long time ago. im sure there is good things to be learned from them but they lived in a time when beliefs were that the earth was the center of the universe and was flat.

I think most if not all athiests arrrive at the point they are at because they have asked questions and not been afraid if the answers did not fit .
And where does the logic of Aquinas's proofs rely on the centrality of Earth within the universe, or of it being flat?

Sound logic is not invalidated by time.

I've conducted discussions with enough lazy Atheists to know their stance is predicated on the assumed delusionality of the other person's reasoning. It deafens the lazy Atheist to the logical argument. They can also deny the possibility of their own, intellectual, delusions. They can also, ironically, stop themselves from lines of questioning.

A few - a very few - Atheists I know are genuinely in pursuit of Truth sufficient to be intellectually honest to pursue and rigorously evaluate any line of reasoning in the search for what is true.

Those Atheists are always worth conversing with.

Last edited:

page61

PI Member
And where does the logic of Aquinas's proofs rely on the centrality of Earth within the universe, or of it being flat?

Sound logic is not invalidated by time.

I've conducted discussions with enough lazy Atheists to know their stance is predicated on the assumed delusionality of the other person's reasoning. It deafens the lazy Atheist to the logical argument. They can also deny the possibility of their own, intellectual, delusions. They can also, ironically, stop themselves from lines of questioning.

A few - a very few - Atheists I know are genuinely in pursuit of Truth sufficient to be intellectually honest to pursue and rigorously evaluate any line of reasoning in the search for what is true.

Those Atheists are always worth conversing with.
I find a lot of Christians who like to intellectualize are actually more interested in themselves and airing their intellectual opinions than they are in looking for answers.

It is true that logic if sound stands the test of time, however i was pointing out that when aquinas was knocking around ,the churches beliefs were of center flat earth .

If you are looking for the truth...you will never ever find it. To look for the truth implies dissatisfaction. why not just accept we are born we grow fade and we die . if you look at the cycle of anything from a blade of grass to a hamster, they all have the same life cycle..

jon 1000's of irish f

Donator
PI Member
"Gwendolen Patricia Crow, 58, was killed in a road accident on January 10, 2000 and was buried ten days later. While she was driving, Mrs Crow hit some black ice, ended up in a ditch, and while she was waiting for help to arrive, another car hit her."

Last edited:

Esatdigiwank

PI Member
What kind of a God makes my life a complete set-up?
I prefer to think of Google as a God; it can think for itself, it led Me to My downfall as the Antichrist.

Top Bottom