Do you believe in a God, if not why not?

James Dawson

PI Member
Yet when the idea and concept of eternal torment and loss of the company of God is put seriously to you you run away screaming and protesting.
But of course you do not know what words mean so it’s quite useless pointing out any truths to you.
You have 100% certainty that there is a God and a hell (a concept which doubles as a form of child abuse), what's the difference between you and an atheist who is 100% certain that there is no God?

The Field Marshal

PI Member
You have 100% certainty that there is a God and a hell (a concept which doubles as a form of child abuse), what's the difference between you and an atheist who is 100% certain that there is no God?
How do you expect me to answer any question you ask when it has been proved that you do not understand your own posts.?
You can perhaps improve your damaged credibility by answering your own question to show that that you do sometimes understand your own posts.

James Dawson

PI Member
How do you expect me to answer any question you ask when it has been proved that you do not understand your own posts.?
You can perhaps improve your damaged credibility by answering your own question to show that that you do sometimes understand your own posts.
Another dodge

page61

PI Member
Theism certainly can be based on fear, there is no denying that, however it does not have to be. Atheism is far more likely to be based on fear, otherwise mention of the hell fire would not shut atheists up most of the time in real life.
I dont think that hell fire would shut an atheist up . I do not mean this in a disrespectful way as we are all entitled to our views, but it appears very childish to say the mention of hell fire shuts atheists up . .. Im not saying you are childish but that reeks of something a kid would say .
Based on personal experience it was more bravery which freed me from the shackles of organized religion .( I'm not saying im brave or anything) .It does take courage to walk away from something you have been indoctrinated to from birth onwards. look at the scientoligy for an accelerated view. .I would imagine it would have been much harder to admit to yourself and the world in the 50s or the 60s when the CC ruled with an iron fist.

page61

PI Member
What is also not true is many Atheists' assertion that religious believers are irrational, or afraid to question. Many Atheists can be so firmly cemented into their rationality that they become blinded by the monopoly some of them claim to hold on it, even to the point of excluding some of human Reason's logical conclusions and especially the historical rational answers made to the same old arguments - arguments they like to present as new and irrefutably, self-evidently, won.

People of faith can be rational too, and arrive at knowledge of existence of God through Reason, as well as extending their knowledge through revelatory Faith.

Aquinas, Anselm, etc. were rational philosophers, and men of faith who's intelligence could wipe the floor with many of today's so-called great thinkers.

I wonder how many Atheists fear to pursue all those learned treatises, by rational theologians, for the rational truths they claim to hold - as the Atheist's own claimed rationality should dictate that the Atheist do.

The thing is.. Atheism does not fear theologians ..

Aquinas and co were around a long long time ago. im sure there is good things to be learned from them but they lived in a time when beliefs were that the earth was the center of the universe and was flat.

I think most if not all athiests arrrive at the point they are at because they have asked questions and not been afraid if the answers did not fit .

James Dawson

PI Member
In fairness I can not answer a question from an ignorant hectoring bully who believes he has some right to an answer.
If you feel you are being bullied on the internet then I suggest that you do something else. You could stop stalking me for starters

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Us atheists feel the same when we are discussing religion with you lot (lol) I would argue that (your) religion is not based on rationality but on fear . You have to remember that a good atheist does not believe in the fire of hell idea either. This is such a way out concept.
I do find as an atheist it is ridiculously hard to understand how an intelligent person can fall for all that . Is it because your born into it and are afraid to question anything because you feel you will incur the wrath of your god.

I know its the oldest cliche in the book but ....

If you are born on a desert island etc with little or no communication with the outside world ...you would have no concept of religion .

What made me reply to this was your assertion that atheism is never based on rationality ....that not true. It has both of its feet cemented into rationality .
Yet for all that you fear discussions that invoke God or religious truths.
Several times you posted stuff with the caveat “please leave religion out of the answer”.

You are clearly not a convinced atheist.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
If you feel you are being bullied on the internet then I suggest that you do something else. You could stop stalking me for starters
I’m replying to your increasingly inchoate and bullying posts.
Yes it is difficult but somebody needs to put manners on you.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
The thing is.. Atheism does not fear theologians ..

Aquinas and co were around a long long time ago. im sure there is good things to be learned from them but they lived in a time when beliefs were that the earth was the center of the universe and was flat.

I think most if not all athiests arrrive at the point they are at because they have asked questions and not been afraid if the answers did not fit .
People who believe in God are no different in that holding such beliefs does not answer all of life’s questions.
Many of these questions of course challenge religious belief eg evolution.

But the nature and logic of reality itself demonstrates that matter is not self creating .
The simple answer at the fundamental level is that something made it.

And that something did not self create but always existed.

page61

PI Member
People who believe in God are no different in that holding such beliefs does not answer all of life’s questions.
Many of these questions of course challenge religious belief eg evolution.

But the nature and logic of reality itself demonstrates that matter is not self creating .
The simple answer at the fundamental level is that something made it.

And that something did not self create but always existed.

Its a very grey area and one I can only speculate science may give us the answer to in the future. Matter appears to not self create but science is still playing catch up.
Then again one of the laws of physics states that Energy cannot be created or destroyed but can be changed from one for to another. Energy and your god have a lot in common..

Top Bottom