Do you believe in a God, if not why not?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
A bigger question is why do so many atheists have such a compulsive need to want to argue this question? I am opposed on Biblical grounds, though I have fallen on occasion I generally keep this law, of arguing about the existence with atheists- the approach to take with atheists who want to argue is not to rationally discuss the question with them (atheism is never based on rationality) but instead to warn them of the hell fire. In "real life" this usually un-nerves and so shuts their mouths on this matter, however over the interweb it does not have the same effect so on it refusing totally to engage is the best option.

page61

PI Member
A bigger question is why do so many atheists have such a compulsive need to want to argue this question? I am opposed on Biblical grounds, though I have fallen on occasion I generally keep this law, of arguing about the existence with atheists- the approach to take with atheists who want to argue is not to rationally discuss the question with them (atheism is never based on rationality) but instead to warn them of the hell fire. In "real life" this usually un-nerves and so shuts their mouths on this matter, however over the interweb it does not have the same effect so on it refusing totally to engage is the best option.

Us atheists feel the same when we are discussing religion with you lot (lol) I would argue that (your) religion is not based on rationality but on fear . You have to remember that a good atheist does not believe in the fire of hell idea either. This is such a way out concept.
I do find as an atheist it is ridiculously hard to understand how an intelligent person can fall for all that . Is it because your born into it and are afraid to question anything because you feel you will incur the wrath of your god.

I know its the oldest cliche in the book but ....

If you are born on a desert island etc with little or no communication with the outside world ...you would have no concept of religion .

What made me reply to this was your assertion that atheism is never based on rationality ....that not true. It has both of its feet cemented into rationality .

Murf13

PI Member
I wasn't accusing anyone of being a racist
So, for the third time I’ll ask you to explain that word spaghetti I quoted above.

Because If it’s not an accusation of racism then I have to ask, were you drunk when you wrote it or are you just stupid as the other poster suggests?

James Dawson

PI Member
GFY. I've already explained it. And I told you that I wasn't accusing you of being a racist.. although you probably cracked a few teeth when your knee jerked into your head

Eirwatcher

PI Member
I do find as an atheist it is ridiculously hard to understand how an intelligent person can fall for all that . Is it because your born into it and are afraid to question anything
[..]
What made me reply to this was your assertion that atheism is never based on rationality ....that not true. It has both of its feet cemented into rationality .
What is also not true is many Atheists' assertion that religious believers are irrational, or afraid to question. Many Atheists can be so firmly cemented into their rationality that they become blinded by the monopoly some of them claim to hold on it, even to the point of excluding some of human Reason's logical conclusions and especially the historical rational answers made to the same old arguments - arguments they like to present as new and irrefutably, self-evidently, won.

People of faith can be rational too, and arrive at knowledge of existence of God through Reason, as well as extending their knowledge through revelatory Faith.

Aquinas, Anselm, etc. were rational philosophers, and men of faith who's intelligence could wipe the floor with many of today's so-called great thinkers.

I wonder how many Atheists fear to pursue all those learned treatises, by rational theologians, for the rational truths they claim to hold - as the Atheist's own claimed rationality should dictate that the Atheist do.

Last edited:

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
PI Member
Us atheists feel the same when we are discussing religion with you lot (lol) I would argue that (your) religion is not based on rationality but on fear . You have to remember that a good atheist does not believe in the fire of hell idea either. This is such a way out concept.
I do find as an atheist it is ridiculously hard to understand how an intelligent person can fall for all that . Is it because your born into it and are afraid to question anything because you feel you will incur the wrath of your god.
Theism certainly can be based on fear, there is no denying that, however it does not have to be. Atheism is far more likely to be based on fear, otherwise mention of the hell fire would not shut atheists up most of the time in real life.

James Dawson

PI Member
Theism certainly can be based on fear, there is no denying that, however it does not have to be. Atheism is far more likely to be based on fear, otherwise mention of the hell fire would not shut atheists up most of the time in real life.
Burning in hell for an eternity would indeed be a valid fear, but you probably won't find that many atheists with it. Fear is more likely to be found in theists imo, a fear of death.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
I wasn't accusing anyone of being a racist
It has been proven beyond doubt on this thread that you do not understand English or logic at the basic levels.
Therefore your denial is not believable since you yourself do not understand what you are posting.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Burning in hell for an eternity would indeed be a valid fear, but you probably won't find that many atheists with it. Fear is more likely to be found in theists imo, a fear of death.
Yet when the idea and concept of eternal torment and loss of the company of God is put seriously to you you run away screaming and protesting.
But of course you do not know what words mean so it’s quite useless pointing out any truths to you.

Top Bottom