Divorce refendum 2019

The Government is to hold a referendum on easing the country's restrictions on divorce. The referendum will be held on Friday 24th May 2019.

At present, the constitution only permits divorce when spouses have lived apart for four of the previous five years.

Restrictions are enshrined in the constitution and were inserted in place of a blanket ban which was removed in a 1995 referendum.

The referendum will ask voters on whether to remove or keep the constitutional provision on how long a couple must live apart before they are legally allowed to get a divorce.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Vote No.

A four years living apart is reasonable before finally dissolving a marriage in civil divorce.
Does anybody know what is proposed in this new and gratuitous expensive referendum?

Anderson

Take the red pill
PI Member
Vote No.

A four years living apart is reasonable before finally dissolving a marriage in civil divorce.
Does anybody know what is proposed in this new and gratuitous expensive referendum?
Is it reasonable though?

Why should some battered woman have to wait 4 years to get away from the man who abused her?

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Why? I'm being quite Naive here as I haven't really read or seen what the referendum is about, I just see it as another pointless waste of time.
The idea is to either abolish or reduce the time living apart.
This of course represents another broken promise by FG who claimed during the original referendum that civil divorce would not damage the instituion of marriage becuase sufficient restrictions would be placed on its availability.

The Field Marshal

PI Member
Is it reasonable though?

Why should some battered woman have to wait 4 years to get away from the man who abused her?
Hard cases make bad law.
Any such person can get a barring order and the idea that divorce would solve such a womens difficultys is not sustainable.

Indeed all the evidence shows that many battered women tend to go from one physically abusive relationship into another on a serial basis.

Anderson

Take the red pill
PI Member
The idea is to either abolish or reduce the time living apart.
This of course represents another broken promise by FG who claimed during the original referendum that civil divorce would not damage the instituion of marriage becuase sufficient restrictions would be placed on its availability.
Everything fine Gael has done since coming to office is to destroy the family unit.

In fact, they even reduced the payments families receive fromChild Benefit, even taking into account the pathetic small increase they received last year.

Florence

PI Member
I am inclined to vote NO.

The current law does not force a couple to live together if they don't want to. They can get a legal separation and also get maintenance payments. My aunt left her violent husband and never bothered to get a divorce because she wanted his bank pension as his widow when he died! She had a legal separation and maintenance. She entered into another relationship which went wrong years later (not due to violence) and she was glad she didn't divorce No.1 husband and marry him. It was simpler to split with partner no.2 as they had just been a cohabiting couple.

The problem when a marriage or a cohabiting relationship breaks up is not that divorce is difficult as the proponents of the referendum claim, but that two homes are needed where before one was enough and we have a major housing crisis, and how many people can afford to pay for two homes especially where children are involved?

I think the present limit 4 years is OK. Two years is too soon, and after that in 5 years will we have another referendum to make it one year? Nobody forces anyone to marry and lots of couples don't now.

Top Bottom