Diversity and Inclusivity in the Oscars

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Apologies if already covered on another thread, but I thought this was worth a thread of its own as I think it unofficially signals the end of Hollywood as the gold standard for movie making - actually, I think that happened a long time ago, but up until recently the Oscars still managed to attract audiences merely because everyone has a fascination with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. However the hypnotic power of tinsel is also on the wane . Stats indicate that more and more people are choosing not to watch Oscar night. Clearly, it has become an event whose sole purpose is to provide the celebrity elite with a platform to virtue signal and consequently bore everyone - except snowflakes - to death.

Diversity, Inclusivity, affirmative action and gender quotas have become entrenched in 21st century cultural mores. The movie industry hasn't escaped the beady eyes of progressive politics and in an effort to ingratiate itself with the oppression olympics committee, the academy has decided to introduce a diversity requirement for eligibility:

It’s unclear what the diversity requirements will entail but the academy could take a page from its brethren in Britain: In 2019, the British Film Institute became the first major awards body to introduce diversity and inclusion criteria into its eligibility requirements. All entries in two British film categories, outstanding British film and outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer, are now required to increase representation to meet at least two of four diversity standards, like “onscreen representation, themes and narratives,” and “industry access and opportunities.” among others.

“The need to address this issue is urgent,” the academy’s chief executive, Dawn Hudson, said in a statement. “To that end, we will amend — and continue to examine — our rules and procedures to ensure that all voices are heard and celebrated.”

I expect the category for best transgender/LGBTQ+ movie to make its debut in the next couple of years.

On the whole I'm not really bothered about this. It had the inevitability of a runny, stinky turd exiting the bowels after a night of beer and jalfrezi, but a part of me is saddened to see the demise of a great industry. It was not perfect, but it provided the world with escapism and occasionally challenged us with uncomfortable existential questions. As some of you know, I'm a huge fan of 1970s movies and most movie buffs agree that during that decade even mainstream Hollywood showcased an array of diverse artists, gifted technicians and maverick directors. That era is loosely defined but most movie aficionados think that it began in the late 60s and ended in the early 80s. It is notable for a shift from stagey to naturalistic acting and large studios financially backing experimental and avant garde movies. There's some disagreement as to when that explosion of creativity ended, but some commentators think that the rot started with Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate bombing at the BO in 1980. That was when the studios' marketing executives decided to exert more control over movie production. That's essentially what we have now, a movie industry run by bean counters and marketing analysts.

Mind you, it's not all doom and gloom. There are some good independent movie makers out there.

Rest in Peace Hollywood.

whyfillaw

PI Member
IMO Hollywood should restrict the nomination for each category to 3 nominees.It would speed up the process.At the same time they Academy could include much more categories for the "Downtrodden Minorities" .Mickey Mouse Oscars for all kinds of Makey Uppy Categories to "pander to the sensitivities" of Black ,Asian,Hispanic,Mixed Race , World(Not US Production,Cast).THis way all minorities would get Oscars, everyone would be winners , but the proof of the pudding would be in the amount of money the paying public would spend to see it.After 5-10 years of this charade the "Special Category Oscar" would be so devalued as to be a "Raspberry" equivalent, not worth collecting or the paper it is written on

D

Deleted member 3197

Non Registered Member
Hollywood should try to make a good movie ......this past few years have been disastrous, unless your 10 with a love of superhero's and rubbish
Joker was quite a good flick last year. A masterpiece in fact. Would never recommend it suitable for a 10 year old.

Irish McCeltunstein

Donator
PI Member
They're afraid to allow great directors work in Hollywood. Great directors come along and shift the paradigm single handedly. Hollywood don't want that. They're a political movement now and cannot afford to risk subversion from genius directors.

As a consequence, they have no new techniques to milk dry in their lesser, Jew written, filler movies, which is essentially all you get now.

D

Deleted member 3197

Non Registered Member
They're afraid to allow great directors work in Hollywood. Great directors come along and shift the paradigm single handedly. Hollywood don't want that. They're a political movement now and cannot afford to risk subversion from genius directors.

As a consequence, they have no new techniques to milk dry in their lesser, Jew written, filler movies, which is essentially all you get now.
Surely to make money they'd allow talent to come through.
I guess it's more a political thing.

Ramon19

PI Member
Good OP but I don't know how anyone watches that sh1te. A bunch of pampered, sanctimonious celebrities preaching and lecturing to the great unwashed. I'd rather stare at the wall for a few hours.

OP
Vengeful Glutton

Vengeful Glutton

PI Member
Joker was quite a good flick last year. A masterpiece in fact. Would never recommend it suitable for a 10 year old.
Occasionally major studios do finance an offbeat movie. I haven't seen Joker but I think it's a remake (or re-imagining) of The King of Comedy? Sounds like it was partly inspired by it - which is OK.

I'm not expecting every movie to challenge me. It's only reasonable to expect the main stream studios to produce movies that entertain, rather than challenge. They have an obligation to shareholders and investors.

There is, however, very little worth spending 15 yo yos on and with an increasing expectation from the media (mostly) that movies should conform with PC standards/Snowflakery revisionism, the quality of movies will deteriorate even further!

blue velvet

Donator
Agree totally about the decline of Hollywood. 70's Hollywood was a Golden Age. Taxi Driver, Apocalypse Now, Godfather I and II, The French Connection, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, All The Presidents Men, Electra Glide In Blue, The Parallax View.. too many to mention.

Nothing coming out of modern Hollywood would hold a candle to any of those movies. And the woke, virtue-signalling shyte is like the final insult.

I Think Hollywood actors have always done that i.e Brando and native American rights, but today's virtue-signalling by the likes of Meryl Streep, Joaquin Phoenix, Natalie Portman is just sickening.

I think the way that the awards have become so predictable is another reason to ignore them. You just know that the latest woke cause du jour is going to get the Oscar.

Example would be 'Dallas Buyers Club' - AIDS, homophobia, gays and trannies. Oscar in the bag.

Kate Winslett joked in Extras about having to be in a movie about the Holocaust or playing a 'mental' to get an Oscar, but that was not wide of the mark.

If you want to win an Oscar, make a movie about Trannies or something and you'll beat off most of the competition.

Last edited:

Tadhg Gaelach

Donator
Apologies if already covered on another thread, but I thought this was worth a thread of its own as I think it unofficially signals the end of Hollywood as the gold standard for movie making - actually, I think that happened a long time ago, but up until recently the Oscars still managed to attract audiences merely because everyone has a fascination with the glitz and glamour of Hollywood. However the hypnotic power of tinsel is also on the wane . Stats indicate that more and more people are choosing not to watch Oscar night. Clearly, it has become an event whose sole purpose is to provide the celebrity elite with a platform to virtue signal and consequently bore everyone - except snowflakes - to death.

Diversity, Inclusivity, affirmative action and gender quotas have become entrenched in 21st century cultural mores. The movie industry hasn't escaped the beady eyes of progressive politics and in an effort to ingratiate itself with the oppression olympics committee, the academy has decided to introduce a diversity requirement for eligibility:

It’s unclear what the diversity requirements will entail but the academy could take a page from its brethren in Britain: In 2019, the British Film Institute became the first major awards body to introduce diversity and inclusion criteria into its eligibility requirements. All entries in two British film categories, outstanding British film and outstanding debut by a British writer, director or producer, are now required to increase representation to meet at least two of four diversity standards, like “onscreen representation, themes and narratives,” and “industry access and opportunities.” among others.

“The need to address this issue is urgent,” the academy’s chief executive, Dawn Hudson, said in a statement. “To that end, we will amend — and continue to examine — our rules and procedures to ensure that all voices are heard and celebrated.”

I expect the category for best transgender/LGBTQ+ movie to make its debut in the next couple of years.

On the whole I'm not really bothered about this. It had the inevitability of a runny, stinky turd exiting the bowels after a night of beer and jalfrezi, but a part of me is saddened to see the demise of a great industry. It was not perfect, but it provided the world with escapism and occasionally challenged us with uncomfortable existential questions. As some of you know, I'm a huge fan of 1970s movies and most movie buffs agree that during that decade even mainstream Hollywood showcased an array of diverse artists, gifted technicians and maverick directors. That era is loosely defined but most movie aficionados think that it began in the late 60s and ended in the early 80s. It is notable for a shift from stagey to naturalistic acting and large studios financially backing experimental and avant garde movies. There's some disagreement as to when that explosion of creativity ended, but some commentators think that the rot started with Michael Cimino's Heaven's Gate bombing at the BO in 1980. That was when the studios' marketing executives decided to exert more control over movie production. That's essentially what we have now, a movie industry run by bean counters and marketing analysts.

Mind you, it's not all doom and gloom. There are some good independent movie makers out there.

Rest in Peace Hollywood.

Hollywood hasn't made a decent film in years. They might as well try a big of diversity, i.e. not all run by Jews. It might actually improve things.

Top Bottom