Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Direct Democracy Ireland: Why do they bother anymore?

IrishJohn

PI Member
I think Direct Democracy would be a far better system then letting the self serving Scumbags we have now run the country.

OP
Macushla

Macushla

Staff member
PI Member
I think Direct Democracy would be a far better system then letting the self serving Scumbags we have now run the country.
Because the Irish people have proven themselves so wise and decent at the last referendum...

From what i can tell we were run into the ground by the Brits, then the US, then the EU, but none of the former ever really left, and now we have the corporations and banks cleaning up whats left of the carcass.
So im pro whatever allows for the irish to run things for themselves for a change.

charlie D

PI Member
I was listening to Jan Van De Ven , Ireland south candidate for DD speaking at limerick debate , the problem for DD is that our constitution clearly states that EU law cannot be invalidated by any section or part of our constitution . This is the reality , unless these sections are removed , DD can hold all the citizens referendums they like but under our constitution , none of them can invalidate EU law . Unless of course DD hold a referendum to remove these sections relating to EU law . But I dont think they would do this because DD are in favour of Ireland staying in the EU . So I really cant understand how they can achieve their goals under this catch 22 situation and thats not being harsh or mean , i'm being genuine , no explanation from DD has been forthcoming on this.

Last edited:

Jay Homer Simpson

PI Member
FIs Nua was another such party that launched in that post 2008 era but only ever managed to get a few hundred votes. (If that)

Top Bottom