Welcome to Political Irish

We believe in free legal speech, fair play and good discussion. Sign up and join in!

Register Log in
  • Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Direct Democracy Ireland: Why do they bother anymore?

SwordOfStCatherine

Staff member
Premium
PI Member
A referendum on everything is just the opposite of what is needed. It's a recipe for chaos. It's what this regime is doing basically.

Didn't the head honcho for this party angrily cite how offended Count Markyviecz would be if he could see us all today and how he died in the 1916 Rising for nothing? Ah, how I laughed.
Did he actual say that? (Anything is possible these days).

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
I was at their launch in Buswells. They were all suited up and the leaflets were glossy. They seemed very well funded. I didn't hear the speakers though as I was in the hall as it was a packed meeting.

The party was composed of right-libertarian-freemans and the left-DublinSaysNo crowd.

And despite the fact it specifically stated that a ref would decide the question they were shortly afterwards heavily falling out over abortion.

It kinda of amused me. A naive person might well think promising to put everything to referenda would neutralise such questions and stabilise the party. But people just aren't wired like that. Democracy is war and too much democracy breeds chaos. The DDI in a nutshell.

OP
Macushla

Macushla

Staff member
PI Member
What an eejit.

But after the Meath East by-election they talked of them as Ireland's answer to the Italian 5 Star Movement... which isn't a ridiculous comparison tbh!

OP
Macushla

Macushla

Staff member
PI Member
I was at their launch in Buswells. They were all suited up and the leaflets were glossy. They seemed very well funded. I didn't hear the speakers though as I was in the hall as it was a packed meeting.

The party was composed of right-libertarian-freemans and the left-DublinSaysNo crowd.

And despite the fact it specifically stated that a ref would decide the question they were shortly afterwards heavily falling out over abortion.

It kinda of amused me. A naive person might well think promising to put everything to referenda would neutralise such questions and stabilise the party. But people just aren't wired like that. Democracy is war and too much democracy breeds chaos. The DDI in a nutshell.
What were the numbers like at that? Was there much press? I'd be interested to hear about their launch. Why did you go?

The Potato Mystic

PI Member
What were the numbers like at that? Was there much press? I'd be interested to hear about their launch. Why did you go?
It was packed out. Even the flouride girl was there. The press could've been there I couldn't see - the room was dark looking in from the hall and I left early.

They had alot of gusto as one does at one's launch and whilst philiosphically flawed, implementing the "Swiss system" could've gained mass attraction. I would've never have joined them myself - but I was curious to see any familiar faces there.

There were hardly any new political parties at the time despite the economic collapse - so a big crowd turned up.

OP
Macushla

Macushla

Staff member
PI Member
It was packed out. Even the flouride girl was there. The press could've been there I couldn't see - the room was dark looking in from the hall and I left early.

They had alot of gusto as one does at one's launch and whilst philiosphically flawed, implementing the "Swiss system" could've gained mass attraction. I would've never have joined them myself - but I was curious to see any familiar faces there.

There were hardly any new political parties at the time despite the economic collapse - so a big crowd turned up.
There was a time where you would get a few hundred people in a hall to launch a "new party", but the thing fizzled out within a short time and never made an impact.

Top Bottom