Political Irish | The Irish Politics & Current Affairs Website

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Before posting anything about the COVID-19 virus, please read this first Click Here

Did the Celts embalm the Severed Heads of their Enemies?

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

Celtic Head from Witham, 2nd c B.C. (British Museum)

Ancient Irish texts tell us that Fionn Mac Cumhaill was faoi gheasa (under a magical obligation) not to eat any food unless in the presence of a severed head. We are told that such severed heads of enemies would speak with prophetic voice and divulge esoteric secrets. Recent research from Gaul (now known as France) gives evidence that such practice really did happen - and that the Gauls went to the trouble of actually embalming such heads.

OP
Tadhg Gaelach

Tadhg Gaelach

PI Member

Karloff

PI Member

Celtic Head from Witham, 2nd c B.C. (British Museum)

Ancient Irish texts tell us that Fionn Mac Cumhaill was faoi gheasa (under a magical obligation) not to eat any food unless in the presence of a severed head. We are told that such severed heads of enemies would speak with prophetic voice and divulge esoteric secrets. Recent research from Gaul (now known as France) gives evidence that such practice really did happen - and that the Gauls went to the trouble of actually embalming such heads.

This is interesting when you think that even early modern physicians and scientists believed the seat of reason and emotion was in the heart.

As a Celt, I personally do not embalm the severed heads of my enemies. It would ruin the Feng Shui of the house.

Of course, I could make an exception for a particularly treacherous & overweight Chinese woman, should we cross paths. The healing & decorative properties of such an ornament would tempt anyone.

Top Bottom